Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Try reflashing; It can't hurt.
That being said, you -may- have gotten a dud. That is, someone broke it, and passed it off as "OK"... and the WiFi chip may be broken.
However, this is unlikely; I -wouldn't- be surprised if it was a screwy-configuration-issue and that reflashing would fix it.
I think he already did that...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
Any errors in dmesg output? does bluetooth work?
Not that I could see... will try and write to an SD card tomorrow so I can view it larger.

I was able to pair with my BB, though haven't done anything with that tether (it indicates phone service only though, which I know is wrong, as I tether my N800 through the BB).

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
My two N900's both get wifi signal without sim cards.
Try reflashing both rootfs and mmc. Also try leaving the device some time without its battery.
Then if nothing works, have it changed.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Try reflashing; It can't hurt.
That being said, you -may- have gotten a dud. That is, someone broke it, and passed it off as "OK"... and the WiFi chip may be broken.
However, this is unlikely; I -wouldn't- be surprised if it was a screwy-configuration-issue and that reflashing would fix it.
It's brand new from Amazon (not as a reseller, directly *from* Amazon).
It still had the factory seal on the box and the extremely tight holding protective covering on the display.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
My two N900's both get wifi signal without sim cards.
Try reflashing both rootfs and mmc. Also try leaving the device some time without its battery.
Then if nothing works, have it changed.
Sorry - I should have been specific in my previous posts... when I flashed, I performed the full procedure (eMMC and rootfs).

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that... I'll see after I talk with T-Mobile again tomorrow.

I re-read through some of the transcript... it's too bizarre for words.

I'm pretty sure it's the SIM, as the "Enter code to remove operator lock" (which the TM rep insisted meant the phone was carrier-locked) only appears when the SIM is installed.

Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
Not that I could see... will try and write to an SD card tomorrow so I can view it larger.

I was able to pair with my BB, though haven't done anything with that tether (it indicates phone service only though, which I know is wrong, as I tether my N800 through the BB).
That's good, the bluetooth and wifi are on the same chip, so if that didn't work, it would raise the chance of a hardware issue, which is still possible but less likely if bluetooth is working.

I would try what debernardis says

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Oh, good. Then you can return it for warranty repair/replacement. I'd look into the paperwork while you're waiting for other suggestions.

Mind you, the fact that it's sealed actually makes it -more- likely to be DOA/have a bit that's DOA - If you buy something used off Ebay, it's already been used by someone for a few months, and any problems with it will usually have been discovered(and returned for warranty). Something new, however... It's -new-. There's always a chance that it got jostled around in transit, or was failing when it was originally tested, or...
Either way, there's a good chance it's a warranty issue now.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Sorry - I should have specified: Yes, the BB is also T-Mobile.
I also tried with no SIM, I even reflashed it with no SIM and tried it.
The N900 works without SIM - I used mine for two weeks before I inserted a SIM at all. It works just like the N800 without SIM. So if SIM was a problem it should work by removing the SIM, which you did. Reflashing should also help removing any issues (although it doesn't reflash _everything_ - in particular there are bits and pieces in the GSM card chip which, if updated, won't be restored by a reflash. But wi-fi shouldn't be affected by that).

To me it sounds like a warranty issue. To be certain, when you get your replacement N900, try it first before putting in a SIM card. It should work just like your N800. If, after that, installing a SIM card destroys wi-fi then we know something that we didn't know before. But it sounds unlikely.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
I'm pretty sure it's the SIM, as the "Enter code to remove operator lock" (which the TM rep insisted meant the phone was carrier-locked) only appears when the SIM is installed.
It will only appear when the SIM is installed and yes, this is an indication that the phone is operator locked. In the event that you wish to carry over your phone number to a new contract you will need to remove the operator lock (which can be requested in writing to your specific carrier) which will then remove the lockdown.

However, this *should* have no bearing on your ability to pick up WiFi.

As a suggestion, you could always try to download the "Bleeding Edge Drivers" for WiFi (which enable monitor and packet injection), follow that up with fAircrack and attempt to monitor and scan for wireless networks using the wl1xx drivers instead.

If there's still no joy I would suggest that your WiFi chip has somehow been borked and it's a warranty job mate......

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Install "Wifi Switcher" and toggle it a couple of times.
It's just a guess, but this might work.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffha For This Useful Post: