Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
mine is almost always at 1000min 1000max at lv. when playing certain games, it is at 1150min 1150max lv. no issues at all playing games nor watching videos using kmplayer or the default media player. everything is buttery smooth. when clocked at the first setting, battery life is still bearable. second setting does see some reduction in battery life but everything is hell smooth. i tried going ideal, xlv, ulv, and decided to settle at just lv because it caused 0 issues at that voltage setting. 1000min 1000max has no issues at all whatsoever.

the only times it crashes are when clocked to 1150min 1150max, lv and watching videos online in places like youtube or other sites. even through cutetube it will crash, so i QBW it to 1000min and 1000max if i wanna watch online vids.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
And how was your battery life at that setting?

I run at 900 min 900 max myself, always.
battery life is the same as for my observation......t'was about 12-16hrs of normal use....(sane as my 500mhz/1000mhz) with extra smoothness...

And you running 900mhz? Sweet! I'll give that a try...

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

@dark_angel
-your super lucky....i cant get mine stable @1100mhz! I gotta random reboot.

Edit: the n900 has a "performance" governor correct? Can we set that up so we dont need to set the min freq?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

Last edited by gabby131; 2011-04-03 at 00:55.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
@gabby131

Yeah... @1000Mhz is completely fine. Can do anything i want without crashes. Battery life is alright... I can still make it through the day with average use... watch videos, online(big part of my n900 usage) and play some webos games... then charge when I sleep.

I'm online almost ALL the time. chatting via IM conversations and going on facebook, TMO, and other flash heavy websites... I realised that running webos games still don't eat CPU as much as going online... I realised I can play probably about 30-60 mins of games and the battery is still alright... I run full 1150Mhz min max when playing games like NOVA or HeroofSparta and it doesn't go down that quickly...

I think the 2nd most battery consuming is video/music... in fact, I think viewing via the default media player and someplayer seems very consuming... I don't have any real values to look at... lazy to look at the battery graph... just based on daily usage and 'feel'. KMplayer seems to be the best so far for videos.

IM, online, websites seem to eat THE MOST battery life. Using MicroB and IM conversations most of the time. Can't change into anything else (even firefox) once I got too pampered with the glory of MicroB. IM conversations is just too seamless. I can use aMSN but I just love the notification system of the built-in conversations better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
@dark_angel

-i agree....so far, the n900 is the only device that i use all of the default/built-in apps (such as web and conversations) and working fine.

Hello,
I'm new in this community and i hope i am in the correct thread! Well I have following problem:

I have partitioned my Nokia N900 new, it was no problem. I installed Nitdroid Gingerbread on the new mmcblk0p4.
All works great. But now i have the problem that i can't overclock my Nokia n900! I tried with Flasher-3.5 and enhanced Linux Kernel but nothing works. When i reinstall enhanced linux kernel X-term prints that the flash was successfully. I think it might be a problem in /etc/multiboot.d?!? Have boot-img and power user.............. all installed. But it don't work

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Helsinki
Hi,

I bought my used N900 (just a few calls made so basically almost new) a month a go, first overclocked it to 850MHz and no issues there.

So I went up to 1GHz, also changed the lower limit to 1GHz as well and again no issues.
Two days ago go I went up to 1.1GHZ and got rid of all other frequencies, voltage is LV.
I was watching a movie today for half an hour, lots a surfing, and sent few messages. So far no issues, phone is so smooth and surfing is pure joy. Battery is fine, I can go easily go through the day and charge my phone when sleeping.

I did oveclocking by Lehto's & Jakiman's instructions, thanks guys, you are stars!!!!

Because I'm a noob in Linux I would appreciate if someone could tell me if it overwrites a file with a same name without saying or giving any warnings. I've done a file called myprofile1 few times and I was wondering if it is overwriting the old one??

Last edited by MisterT; 2011-04-10 at 09:06.

Yes it is.

Originally Posted by normannormalman View Post
Hello,
I'm new in this community and i hope i am in the correct thread! Well I have following problem:

I have partitioned my Nokia N900 new, it was no problem. I installed Nitdroid Gingerbread on the new mmcblk0p4.
All works great. But now i have the problem that i can't overclock my Nokia n900! I tried with Flasher-3.5 and enhanced Linux Kernel but nothing works. When i reinstall enhanced linux kernel X-term prints that the flash was successfully. I think it might be a problem in /etc/multiboot.d?!? Have boot-img and power user.............. all installed. But it don't work
if Rebooting does not fix it.....you can see more info here that's all i can help.....never installed nitdroid.....

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
I've been unlucky.

My first N900 (now with USB port broken) showed a very few random reboots in "ideal" settings, and went OK up to 1.15GHz (it was only hot). Anyway, I only used faster than "ideal" speed settings when playing some large RMVB files (no hardware acceleration decoding, so they need cpu power). Normal conditions in "ideal" settings (hard working with GPS/music/browsing) did never show reboots; apparently the random reboots happened only while accessing the 30Gb data partition.

I bought my second N900 a few days ago. I overclocked it with "ideal" (850MHz) settings, soon experiencing random reboots, mostly when accessing that 30Gb storage while playing music (it often reboots in the middle of a specific MP3 song which plays without problems when at 600MHz). Also, it appears to show more heat than its predecessor...

Thus, IMHO I guess that slowing a bit the eMMC access (by reengineering its driver) could consistently reduce "random reboots" when overclocking.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom