Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
This is probably why it has the Mali 400 GPU:
An Open-Source, Reverse-Engineered Mali GPU Driver
Announcing The Lima Open-Source GPU Driver

So this thing really has the potential to be FULLY open source, without a closed GPU driver - which is major blocker in most other devices.
nobody complains about mali gpu, my problem is that it underperformes in this soc

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
just because i want a open source gnu/linux powered device, doesnt mean i will settle for sub par hardware for a steep price(when compared to what i'm getting for it...)
I think you're just not in the target group. - Most people who'll buy this pioneer device will buy it for the open GNU/Linux stack and will hardly look into the hardware details as long as the browser won't choke when rendering popular websites. - For all I read about the C71, the hardware isn't exciting but decent enough.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I think you're just not in the target group. - Most people who'll buy this pioneer device will buy it for the open GNU/Linux stack and will hardly look into the hardware details as long as the browser won't choke when rendering popular websites. - For all I read about the C71, the hardware isn't exciting but decent enough.
lol, pioneer my ***...i use gnu/linux on all my devices and im a gnu/linux fanboy, but im not going to justify their poor choice and praise just because its linux, my criticism is completly valid until i'm proven wrong
dont get me wrong, i would adore a device similar to this one, but made with better choice of hardware for the same price and with gnu/linux as OS, this one just fails by my opinion unles the problem is in the android drivers and will be fixed in this(which i dont believe is the case)
if the problem is in the drivers, ill just buy a 125$ variant of this tablet and flash the OS from this 200€ variant, maybe donate them 20$ if possible afterwards

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by luca View Post
The question is, do those $120 tablets have every driver in the mainline kernel or do they need binary blobs?
Of course the same question applies to this 200€ tablet, since even the raspberry pi depends on binary blobs.
That's the central question here.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
That wouldn't be a problem if there were binary blobs available for every new kernel revision, but that's generally not the case and a perfectly functional device cannot be kept up to date.
Even if there were guaranteed binary blobs for every kernel version it would still be a problem because these blobs would still be proprietary.
Seeing this as a problem is the very difference between Open Source and Free Software.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
And a problem anyone that has owned a N8x0 knows by heart.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Relationship with Mer much more explained in http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2012/01/o...licensing.html

(BTW, if anyone speculates, I'm not involved with this except in my function as project architect in Mer, let's see where I'll end up
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-01-31 at 19:22.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italia
Spark Linux tablet specs updated, going up for pre-order next week:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/05/s...order-next-we/

I don't know, for this price I expected at least a 10" screen + 1GB ram. How this compares with kindle fire?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cipper For This Useful Post:
CordiaTAB deja-vu...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Time will tell if it ends the same way...

I'm quite convinced, that Spark will make it into customers hands. My comment was rather about presented specification. Still, it doesn't seem to be "this thing".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!