Active Topics

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
It seems that finally Jolla is going to ship to India, through Snapdeal.com as announced some time ago, starting from Tuesday Sept. 23rd

http://www.snapdeal.com/offers/jolla

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
the question that matters for the rest of us:

what will they price it at in india, and how will this effect the price in europe?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Why should it affect the price in europe?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
because its not fair price to pay 349 EUR for a new battary.

I want to see a BIG price drop. 199 EUR would be great and I would consider it.

Thanks

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
HK, India, parts of Europe. I'm sure there's a strategy there, but I wonder if the patent trolls (*cough*Microsoft*cough) have stopped this phone from entering more countries.

Their strategy is almost like the Nokia N9 release. Waiting on Mongolia and Azerbaijan announcements...

Last edited by gerbick; 2014-09-20 at 14:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
HK, India, parts of Europe. I'm sure there's a strategy there, but I wonder if the patent trolls (*cough*Microsoft*cough) have stopped this phone from entering more countries.

Their strategy is almost like the Nokia N9 release. Waiting on Mongolia and Azerbaijan announcements...
Don't think patent trolls have anything to do with it.

Jolla just have a very weak piece of hardware, which no doubt costs them more than double (mayble triple?) what most phones with similar specs would cost to make, because; 1) it's not an off the shelf OEM design, and to some extent they designed it themselves so all the packaging is different; 2) because the hardware is such an unattractive proposition for buyers and Jolla know this, they can't place large orders (because they'd go unsold), so they get no discounts or economies of scale. Yet they need to make a profit on the hardware, because they have zero income otherwise (no paid apps, no licensing Sailfish to OEMs yet), so relative to its specs and build quality the price is set at an obscene level, which then in turn puts off most potential buyers (both casual/interested, dev and primary phone purchases). Basically, with the current phone, Jolla are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Situation is very different to the N9. Nokia had a decent piece of hardware (excellent looks) with an OS and UI that had received universal plaudits. It was a very attractive proposition. However, Elop & co needed to bury it, so hence the 'eccentric' availability, marketing and dumping it in minor markets, whilst not offering it in big markets where there was a lot of demand. Jolla on the other hand can't possibly get deals with carriers in any European (or North American) markets (beyond their native Finland), because the phone is so unattractive both spec wise and aesthetically (those bezels are so 2009) and Sailfish is still in a really basic state. So they're forced to try to enter markets where competition isn't too fierce and a small player might catch a break (Namibia, Kazakhstan etc), or gigantic markets where competition is overwhelming (India & China) but because of the vast number of consumers, they're bound to sell a few devices simply because they're a bit different.

The most positive thing for them currently is undoubtedly their deal with Hutchison Whampoa. It's extremely unlikely that 3 HK will sell many of the existing device, and I'm sure HW & Jolla are both more than aware of this ... however it shows some faith or good will on the part of a huge, global player, which stands them in good stead if future Jolla phones are an improvement, or more importantly, high quality Chinese OEMS (of which there are lots) license Sailfish and sell their devices.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-20 at 16:11.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
would you, as a european customer, feel more or less keen on the prospect of buying a jolla phone for £280 if you knew they had just introduced it into the indian market for the rupee equivalent of £140?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
would you, as a european customer, feel more or less keen on the prospect of buying a jolla phone for £280 if you knew they had just introduced it into the indian market for the rupee equivalent of £140?
Do we know price in India?

Basically all phones are more expensive in Europe than the rest of the world. Samsungs, apples, Sonys and so forth.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-21 at 08:57.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
I feel like that all the time. With two minor corrections: s/Indian/American and s/rupee/dollar. It p!$$es me off to see something on Amazon US for £120 whilst the same thing on Amazon UK is priced at £200. And of course Amazon US would not ship it to the UK.

One product more or less does not make such a big difference.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I feel like that all the time. With two minor corrections: s/Indian/American and s/rupee/dollar. It p!$$es me off to see something on Amazon US for £120 whilst the same thing on Amazon UK is priced at £200. And of course Amazon US would not ship it to the UK.

One product more or less does not make such a big difference.
Do you have a link to a new retail Jolla Phone on Amazon US? I doubt Amazon officially sells them in the states do to lack of FCC approval and worldwide 3G support.

Also I do agree with bluefoot to some extend. The Jolla Phone could be more solid build and less buggy at the hardware like battery shutdown that is a widely known issue and these things might be some of the reasons why Jolla can't be find in retail stores in central Europe outside Finland. However I choose to support Jolla because I like the Jolla phone and love the Sailfish OS and would like them to succeed.

Unlike Ubuntu Phone and Tizen they've actually had the courage to release a phone to the market.

I know the phone might be seen as overpriced by some, however I support an unique company with a special OS and a vision. Sometimes you can't look a the specs alone.

Also if you look at the latest presentation (http://www.jollausers.com/2014/09/vi...s-forum-stage/) you can see the Marc Dillon has become more insightful from before only talking about the product and the vision to now also mention things like the disbelief in the press early on and more of the history so people can see that they ain't perfect, but they've come a long way and continues to fight.

Last edited by LouisDK; 2014-09-21 at 12:15.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post: