Originally Posted by reinob View Post
BTW /sbin/init is an ELF binary. Is the source code available?
Yes, maemo use upstart init daemon which is open source. I think that maemo has older version then ubuntu with extra patches, but all source code is in SDK repository

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I added function load_early_modules in my modified preinit which load all modules specified in file /etc/early_modules before anything else.

BTW, I created new thread about /sbin/preinit script (and full getbootstate deb package). Please move discussion about it here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80298 :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
@reinob: You're awesome, just in case you didn't know.

Estel and vi_ I replied to your posts in the thread pali just linked to, since he wants to move discussion there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
@reinob: You're awesome, just in case you didn't know.
Hmm.. wow. Are you sure you didn't mean Pali and/or yourself?

Anyway. Thanks.

BTW another option to combine with BOOTMENU var (pointing to script) would be
BOOTMENU_WHEN={never,keyboard,camera,always,proxim ity}

Plus a LOADKMAP option pointing to the appropriate KMAP (we have the US already, some day I'll do the DE one

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
I think we do not need to handle in preinit someting more then keyboard open/close. preinit will run /bootmenu.sh if keyboard is open & file exist.

Also is other then US keymap needed for RECOVERY boot? It is RECOVERY mode :-) !

Originally Posted by pali View Post
I think we do not need to handle in preinit someting more then keyboard open/close. preinit will run /bootmenu.sh if keyboard is open & file exist.
Fine by me. Just brainstorming/collecting ideas presented by others. Hey, /sbin/preinit could call /boot_menu_or_not_q ("q" for question), which each user could set-up according to taste. If $! is 1 open menu, else skip.

Originally Posted by pali View Post
Also is other then US keymap needed for RECOVERY boot? It is RECOVERY mode :-) !
OK. For my N900 it will be a "Rettungsmodus" or whatever they call it in German. You don't know how irritating it is when the arrow keys don't work as expected (I only have left and right, up = blue left, down = blue right).

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
After installing the latest kernel power and u-boot, I also decided to install the recovery console.

But I have the feeling it did not work out as it should.

After the U-boot Boot Menu I always go to a second menu (BOOT MENU), with a white background (from the bootmenu package I presume) with the same choices as in the U-boot menu, but with the recovery mode option as extra. Starting kernels ends up in "Booting from (mtdblock4 jffs2)", but then the phone freezes, and I have to remove the battery. The nand kernel and the recovery console itself do work when chosen.

Another thing I noticed is that running u-boot-update-bootmenu gave me:
Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/recovery.item
Error: Invalid file - missing kernel or script file

Any idea what might be wrong here?

Last edited by ade; 2012-02-16 at 22:46.

@ade,

The problem is that u-boot and bootmenu (and perhaps also multiboot) all use the same folder for reading the menu entries (the .item files).

U-boot is designed for running kernels (and needs a kernel, hence your "invalid file" error).

Bootmenu cannot boot kernels (AFAIK kexec does not work reliably). It runs from /sbin/preinit, so after the kernel has loaded.

These programs should ideally be decoupled, so as to avoid these problems. Plus backupmenu, whose .item file is actually a full-blown script that neither u-boot nor bootmenu can work with.

An easy workaround for you would be to patch bootmenu so that it reads the .items from somewhere else and then move the recovery console .item to the new place and keep only kernel-related .items where u-boot expects to find them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
After installing the latest kernel power and u-boot, I also decided to install the recovery console.

But I have the feeling it did not work out as it should.

After the U-boot Boot Menu I always go to a second menu (BOOT MENU), with a white background (from the bootmenu package I presume) with the same choices as in the U-boot menu, but with the recovery mode option as extra. Starting kernels ends up in "Booting from (mtdblock4 jffs2)", but then the phone freezes, and I have to remove the battery. The nand kernel and the recovery console itself do work when chosen.

Another thing I noticed is that running u-boot-update-bootmenu gave me:
Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/recovery.item
Error: Invalid file - missing kernel or script file

Any idea what might be wrong here?
This is not problem. u-boot-update-bootmenu detect that recovery.item is not kernel nor u-boot script so it skipped it.
recovery.item can be only booted from Fanoush bootmenu.

If you want, I can change message from "Error: Invalid file" to "Skipped item file" :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I second reinob's question about a possible decoupling of both solutions (different folders or whatever. This is mixed up.

Tags
console, console-mode, framebuffer, recovery, recovery-mode