Active Topics

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
housing arrived today! very glossy and pristine looking, definitely an eye-catcher. the quality is excellent; almost perfect except for one issue. like the last replacement housing, it feels more firm than the original. i think the "creakiness" on my stock housing was probably from dropping it too much. incentive to be more careful with this new housing!

back to the one issue i had: like on the last replacement housing, the usb door wouldn't attach properly, and i found out why. the door clips onto a metal bar that acts as a hinge, right? well the plastic clip isn't cut out all the way, and the excess plastic prevents the door from clipping to the bar. i tried using a knife to push out the extra plastic so it would fit on the bar, but couldn't quite get it. instead i put the original black sim tray and usb door on, and it looks kind of cool actually. i attached a picture comparing the two usb doors so you can see the difference. also, on the back of the replacement housing door there's a "made in china" label, but the original housing door is blank. attached a couple pics of the whole assembled device, too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Awesome. Any tips on getting the motherboard screws out? I am worried I am going to strip mine. I cant seem to get a good grip with the bit. I also cant find a shop that sells a t4 torx plus screwdriver anywhere.

The black USB door and SIM tray really look cool!

The Following User Says Thank You to emev For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
Awesome. Any tips on getting the motherboard screws out? I am worried I am going to strip mine. I cant seem to get a good grip with the bit. I also cant find a shop that sells a t4 torx plus screwdriver anywhere.
push down hard, and turn slow i messed one of mine up a bit, but then found the bigger screwdriver fitted and used that.

The Following User Says Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
like tommo said, pressure and take it slow. whenever i take a phone apart for the first time i go turtle slow to make sure i'm not screwing anything up, hahaha. and if you do accidentally strip a screw don't freak out, i lost one on accident but there's so many screws on that battery cover that one missing isn't gonna hurt it. lol.

this is the exact torx screwdriver i have and i can testify to its functionality. i picked it up at our home depot for 6USD, looks pricier online but it works well. it doesn't specify that it's a "torx plus" model but it's worked on 3 different nokia phones i took apart, a 700, asha 303 and the n9 as well.

Originally Posted by emev View Post
The black USB door and SIM tray really look cool!
it's a good thing it turned out cool looking cause it was the only option i had! hahaha

I ended up fixing the usb door, so I have a white one. Small drill did the job. The display doesnt fit well into mine, and I couldnt get the metal bar on the side of the cover in properly, so the screen sticks out a little bit on one side of the phone. I have foubd I cant connect to wifi now. So thats a big issue for me. Need to find a fix for that.

I had trouble with that metal bar, too. I had to press down the battery cover and wiggle it a bit to get it to hook underneath the lip of the housing. It's easy to have it flipped the wrong way too, the LE55ONS guy shows the right way to put it back. Glad you got the USB door working! Not good about the WiFi, though. Hope you're able to fix it.

I found another small issue with the replacement housing. The headphone jack is faulty. Only plays sound out the left earphone, regardless of the headphones. Not a big deal cause I have two other jacks I can swap in, but it is inconvenient.

My headphone jack works fine :P
Turns out the wifi works, the antenna is just absolute crap... any issues with yours?
I can usually get about 2 bars of wifi signal 1 meter away from the router. 5 meters and I loose connection. In certain places I can get 1 bar if I am lucky. Nexus 7 gets 4 bars of wifi signal where the phone gets 1. Not a huge issue as I can just use the nexus for wifi stuff and I have a good 3g plan, same goes for music. (Much better frequency response for the audio drivers.)

Also @kapu2, I see you're fairly new, welcome!

Last edited by DJJonosound; 2014-02-05 at 10:55.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Hi guys, I bought this white housing for my 64GB Nokia N9 and assembly was easy as pie.
Took me less that one hour in total. Now I do have two issues:
  • WiFi reception is crap - as posted early by other users
  • When in a phone call I cannot swith the display on again. Sucks especially if you'r stuck at some ones mailbox

Now I am wondering how to solve this. I woudn't care too much about the wifi issue but the call issue (it's still a phone after all) sucks hard. As all buttons and antennas were provided in the case allready I gues the wifi antenna is just crap (too short etc.) and I also think the second issue is related to the connection of buttons underneath the mainboard/battery-frame.

What's your thoughts about this? should I try to swapp the buttons and antennas from my original housing as well?

Another thing is that the display clips ar a little bit too high so there is some play between the housing and the display and the display also sits a bit higher than before. I think I will just live with that but is someone else having this issue?

Also my headphone jack is perfect and sounds fine Maybe your juck just sits a bit to deep in the housing so the plug does not connect correctly @kapu2?

Is it not feasible to swap the wifi antenna from the original case to the new one? I don't have a new housing to check but this is something I'm interested in doing down the line.