Notices

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
While testing the pulseaudio packages, I also did some comparison with nice and audio quality setting.

- Pulseaudio package

After more A-B tests, the updated pulseaudio package didn't really do the trick for me. I feel the behavior of this package is finicky and less predictable. But it obvious works in certain scenarios and also for many people so maybe it's an isolated case for me.

- Audio quality

CPU % (playing mp3)
speex-fixed-2 (Default): 4-6
speex-fixed-5 : 8-10
speex-fixed-6 : 10-12
speex-fixed-10 : 18-20

So is the quality really better? I would say yes, the difference is definitely noticeable.
The higher the index, the smoother the music is. Overall, cranking up the index gives a "warmer" sound.
I didn't listen carefully to the difference among 4, 5 and 6. But I have the impression that 6 has significant better sound than 2 while the cpu load is acceptable. The value 4 doesn't produce enough improvement to justify the increased cpu load.
In the end, I use 5 just as a compromise.

- Nice setting

Nice setting is more effective to alleviate the stuttering in my case. But it seems to work better with the stock package. Still, there's no guarantee that stuttering will not occur. Need to experiment more, but I'm sticking with -15 for now.

* The pulseaudio daemon setting is configured through /etc/pulse/daemon.conf. Btw, don't bother trying speex-float and src-sinc-xxx, they don't work (no sound) at all.
Just for the record, all these settings work on

If you're still getting subpar audio performance, ensure Dobby surround sound is OFF, counter-intuitive, but the surround sound severely reduced the sound-depth.

Ihaven't yet experimented with the new settings in the N9 config file, anybody brave enough?

Edit:
With a few more hours tinkering beneath my belt, I've find the best audio quality comes from using "flow player" with a flat eq. My current theory is Nokia has "livened" the default sound profile, resulting in a slightly overpowering high-range.
If anybody has any ideas how to go about modifying the DEFAULT sound profile, feel free to pm me!

Last edited by optimaxxx; 2013-01-11 at 03:15.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2012 @ kenya
How do u install this on the N9..thanks in advance

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
J
If you're still getting subpar audio performance, ensure Dobby surround sound is OFF, counter-intuitive, but the surround sound severely reduced the sound-depth.
Its not suprising that synthetic processes dont sound good.
-But where is the dolby configuration hidden on the n900 , or is it n9 specific?

i use :
disable-shm = yes
shm-size-bytes = 16777216
exit-idle-time = -1

; This is an ugly combination and can lead into trouble, but needed for DVFS
no-cpu-limit = 0
; Limit max RT schedule slice to 10ms (= 10000000ns)
rlimit-rttime = 10000000

high-priority = yes
nice-level = -11
realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 5
resample-method = speex-fixed-9

default-sample-format = s16le
default-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 2
default-fragments = 2
default-fragment-size-msec = 20

where is the dolby?

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-02-08 at 05:17.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Sorry, Dolby Surround is N9-specific.

Using netview, SBTRKT, and AKG headphones to dial in my audio settings atm

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Any updates to n900 pulseaudio??

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post: