Incidentally, I think it says a lot about Nokia that they allow people to install third party alternatives on Nokia hardware (even alternative OSes).

Certain other manufacturers I could mention do their best to forbid third party alternatives to built-in software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Ah, commercial developers. That's an entirely different subject from community developers.
No, that is not. Actually, commercial developers can be part of the community.

Community developers are the only thing really worth discussing in the community (especially from the standpoint of what's released with SDKs).
I really do not like your interpretation of a community as a group of amateurs or non-professionals. From my viewpoint, commercial developers can be members of the (maemo.org) community as well.

Commercial developers have an entirely separate support relationship with Nokia to community developers, and you can trust that a commercial developer will be well aware of what's going to be offered on the platform by the OEM if they're planning an application like this.
Not necessarily. A third-party commercial developer without any relationship to Nokia can exist. It can be even you, if you sell your application for money.

Really, truly, commercial developers are not our concern here. They have their own support channels with access to their own information.
No, not really. Truly, we should welcome also potential commercial developers here, and be happy that they participate in maemo.org community!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by hhedberg View Post
No, that is not. Actually, commercial developers can be part of the community...

<snip>

... Truly, we should welcome also potential commercial developers here, and be happy that they participate in maemo.org community!
A recent example. >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=282151&postcount=6

From. >> http://www.digia.com/C2256FEF0043E9C1/0/405001693

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
No, that is not. Actually, commercial developers can be part of the community.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's back up here. You're extrapolating an awful lot beyond the point I was trying to address.

I really do not like your interpretation of a community as a group of amateurs or non-professionals. From my viewpoint, commercial developers can be members of the (maemo.org) community as well.
That's your interpretation, not mine. My assertion was that commercial developers have access to a different level and type of support with Nokia (through Forum Nokia) that isn't really relevant to community developers (which includes both professionals and non-professionals who are and are not getting paid for their Maemo-related work).

Not necessarily. A third-party commercial developer without any relationship to Nokia can exist. It can be even you, if you sell your application for money.
Then this person really isn't a commercial developer. Smalltime sharware-style developers are distinct from the type of commercial developers I'm talking about.

But, really, point just one small third-party developer for whom the Maps/Navicore information would be relevant (which is the entire point of the discussion. . . .)

No, not really. Truly, we should welcome also potential commercial developers here, and be happy that they participate in maemo.org community!
Does that make them our concern? Does it make providing them commercial-level support through maemo.org an important part of our business? No, it does not. I'll welcome any commercial developer here with open arms, but they are not one of the use-cases we're targeting on maemo.org (I'll say again, this is what Forum Nokia is for).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: