Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Hi,

If you had the option to buy a 2nd hand Jolla Tablet would you do it or would you wait for some newer officially supported hardware?

I personally wouldn't describe myself as a tablet fan, but the SaifishOS really seems like a good tablet OS and my initial plan was to it when it went on sale for the public.

I have no intention of using an Android tablet as I'm not an Android fan and doesn't find the OS fitted for tablet use.

Last edited by LouisDK; 2016-02-01 at 22:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
And what exactly you search in tablet that can be done by sailfish and not android in your use if you don't mind me asking

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
And what exactly you search in tablet that can be done by sailfish and not android in your use if you don't mind me asking
I'd imagine it works pretty much as a portable linux terminal, just like your phone except with a better display.
Got to have some keyboard with it really, since I generally hate touchscreens for writing anything longer than SMS'es.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'd imagine it works pretty much as a portable linux terminal, just like your phone except with a better display.
Got to have some keyboard with it really, since I generally hate touchscreens for writing anything longer than SMS'es.
1) Android can do it. Especially when you have a lot of apps for that.
2) you can get netbook that can do it for much cheaper.

I keep hearing how android is bad and sailfish is better, but still does not see one example of why exactly?

P.S. Not saying Android is good

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
1) Android can do it. Especially when you have a lot of apps for that.
2) you can get netbook that can do it for much cheaper.

I keep hearing how android is bad and sailfish is better, but still does not see one example of why exactly?

P.S. Not saying Android is good
As LouisDK said, he does not like Android and he likes Sailfish. Personally, I think it is a really good reason not to buy Android. Why would he buy a tablet with OS that he does not like?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peccelius For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I agree, there are tastes that differ and needs that differ.

I just could not use Android, as you state it would be possible to do all the stuff I need on android... I really doubt that.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peccelius View Post
As LouisDK said, he does not like Android and he likes Sailfish. Personally, I think it is a really good reason not to buy Android. Why would he buy a tablet with OS that he does not like?
If you randomly point in things and tell that you like it or doesn't - it makes some nonsense.
There should be reason for liking or disliking something. And it assume me the trend of "I don't like android coz Sailfish better." (it can be opposite as well). But i think it would be more of "cult" talks if you do not have the reason for that.

Edit:
The next part is not personal and not intended towards anyone specific in this thread or forum, but...
It just sounds like "I want to be cool hipster-hacker and that's why I would use X and not Y." And by using at the end it would using twitter and take some photos. Maybe run "uptime" command once in a while to post it online to show off how cool his phone is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Of course I might be wrong but the tools I need just do not exist on android.

Or if they do it might mean I need to install tons and tons of stuff to make them available; it is just too tedious when I can either install them right off the repositoiries or just pull in a git source repo and do "./configure; make; devel-su make install"

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Maybe run "uptime" command once in a while to post it online to show off how cool his phone is.
The average uptime of my Jolla is about 6 hours In contrast with my daughter's Android tablet (that I borrow every day to play Dragon City and browse TMO as its stock browser is much, much better than the one in Sailfish) where the average uptime is about 14 days, and even that only because I am not careful and sometimes let the battery run empty.

Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
I have no intention of using an Android tablet as I'm not an Android fan and doesn't find the OS fitted for tablet use.
I am not an Android fan either bur for different reasons. I hear this argument all the time. "Android is not suitable for tablets." My experience differs. I have used Android phones in the past and I use an Android tablet now (see above) and I can say, I find Android much more suitable on a tablet than on a phone. YMMV. Of course I cannot say anything about Sailfish on a tablet as I have not held one yet but I have heard that it is not that great.

They do, but as you say, they require you do to additional steps to install them. Mind you, so does Sailfish. You need to "enable" (read: install) Developer mode to do anything useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The average uptime of my Jolla is about 6 hours
You sure live on the edge

I am not an Android fan either bur for different reasons. I hear this argument all the time. "Android is not suitable for tablets." My experience differs. I have used Android phones in the past and I use an Android tablet now (see above) and I can say, I find Android much more suitable on a tablet than on a phone. YMMV. Of course I cannot say anything about Sailfish on a tablet as I have not held one yet but I have heard that it is not that great.
Android works very well on both mobile phones and tablets, provided your user pattens and needs are typically consumerish.
For example my son uses his android devices for just regular games, browsing and messaging.

They do, but as you say, they require you do to additional steps to install them. Mind you, so does Sailfish. You need to "enable" (read: install) Developer mode to do anything useful.
Sure, and same goes for android; to do anything useful you need to root the device and enable adb.
However even after that the experience is very poor, the default shell is really pitiful, a pain to work with.
There are no packet repositories at all, and all tools you need to build with an external computer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: