http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17178014

'A 41-megapixel Nokia smartphone was among the new technology on show during the opening day of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The Nokia 808 Pureview offers enhanced low-light performance as well as sophisticated image compression designed to help users share pictures.'

Not bad for day 1 of the opening day of Mobile World Congress.

Shame it doesn't look as sexy as the N9/lumia 800 sisters. Hopefully it won't drain the battery too much as well. + It's on symbian which doesn't make much sense since they said they were going to phase that out didn't they?

Thoughts?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Rosice, Czech Republic
I think it's gonna be some kind of a 3D stacked sensor where each layer has 1/3 of the total 41 MPixels. Sample pictures look really good though.
As to the symbian coming to an end thing.. it's better to go out with a bang.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
As far as I know, it creates a 5 megapixel file. Uses 7 pixels for each pixel etc, 41 megapixels would obviously be ******ed with cell phone camera optics.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by celebrant View Post
I think it's gonna be some kind of a 3D stacked sensor where each layer has 1/3 of the total 41 MPixels. Sample pictures look really good though.
As to the symbian coming to an end thing.. it's better to go out with a bang.
No, the sensor has a traditional Bayer layout.. it is just huge for a smartphone -1/1.2", so quite a lot bigger than 1/1.7" enthusiast compact cameras, and a bit smaller than the Nikon J1 (1"). Pixel spacing is comparable to superzoom compacts with 1/2.3" sensor. White paper is here: http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_META...Whitepaper.pdf

some full-res pics here:
http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...2/Archive2.zip

quite impressive to me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
As far as I know, it creates a 5 megapixel file. Uses 7 pixels for each pixel etc, 41 megapixels would obviously be ******ed with cell phone camera optics.
It can take even 38Mpix pictures but they don't look anywhere near as good as the 5 or 8Mpix pictures "pixel oversampled" from that huge 41Mpix sensor.

Example:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by xRobby View Post
It's on symbian which doesn't make much sense since they said they were going to phase that out didn't they?

Thoughts?
Maybe they can't make it work in their new Win platform.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
You will have also the option to take pictures at full res, and if you look at the second link in my previous post, the turn out surprisingly good (at least in those bright conditions), even at 100% magnification. You see some grain, but almost no noise reduction or sharpening artifacts (take a look at the hair on the arms and legs of the climbers). Lens seems to be quite sharp also. I guess it looks a bit different in low light, but then you can lower resolution to average out noise.

The main point however is that it gives you a digital, but lossless zoom at lower resolutions, around 3x at 5Mpx, 4x at 1080p, 6x at 720p, 12x at nHD.

This is remarkable.
Bye bye cheap P & S.

Now where is meltemi with this

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Jamaica
Do not see a front facing camera.

I really want this with Maemo. How many times must we say to ourselves "If only we ran Nokia..."?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post: