Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hi all. After playing with statusbar-clock & statusbarclock & deciding that I like the clock applet better, I now seem to have lost both my Connection & Battery status bar items. When I go into Control Panel, Panels, Status Bar, the items are there, unchecked, but I can't re-check them. I can un-check & re-check other items, so it's not a UI problem. Am I jsut missing the packages now for some reason? If so, what are the names of these packages to I can reinstall them? TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Wow, I just had this problem yesterday after doing just what you did. I fixed it by manually editing this file:

Code:
/home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop/statusbar.conf
I changed the entries for
Code:
hildon-status-bar-internet.desktop
and
Code:
hildon-status-bar-battery.desktop
to `true`

This caused both items to be displayed on the status bar. I still can't check/uncheck them from the display options; however, they show and I can re-order them. I can't guarantee that this is the right fix; however, it worked for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
You know what? I had this problem too. During countless install/uninstalls/upgrades of statusbar-clock (Large Statusbar Clock) for development I never had this issue once.

I recently installed statusbarclock (single wide) just to check it out. Everything was fine, so I disabled it then uninstalled it. More recently I installed a testing version of Large Statusbar Clock (that is not available anywhere so can't be causing anyone's problems) and got this problem.

I fixed it the way burmashave suggested. However, it seems this method is not the complete story. As root, edit the file /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-battery.desktop and /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-internet.desktop and remove completely the "Mandatory=true" line. Now they should be selectable in the control panel.

Looking at the statusbarclock code, it seems to dispose of itself properly. I can't see any reason either of the applications would change both of the .desktop files mentioned above and the statusbar.conf file.

If anyone else has this problem, please weigh in about your usage of the two programs seemingly causing it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
I fixed it the way burmashave suggested. However, it seems this method is not the complete story. As root, edit the file /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-battery.desktop and /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-internet.desktop and remove completely the "Mandatory=true" line. Now they should be selectable in the control panel.
What I did is just remove Mandatory lines from each of the applications files that you mentioned fiferboy, not touching the one burmashave mentioned at all, & after restarting hildon-desktop the icons just reappeared. tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Frustrating beyond words, I too installed and un-iinstalled Statusbar Clock and also lost the ability of the checkbox for my Battery, Connection and Status.

So I went and tried the above command lines through Xterm and all I get is permission denied, I have Becomeroot installed so what am I missing ? Am I root or not ?

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2007-09-27 18:08:59 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2007-09-27 18:08:59 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-battery.desktop
/bin/sh: /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-battery.desktop: Permission denied
/home/user #

EDIT:

Just uninstalled BecomeRoot for EasyRoot and still the same thing, Permission Denied. Not having the battery indicator is a real pain in the a$%.

Last edited by TTgowings; 2008-05-14 at 07:18.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Um, perhaps you're aware that you're trying to run the file, not to edit it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
What am I missing here ? am I to have something before that long string ? "/home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop/statusbar.conf"

Okdoke I guess that makes sense, so what's the Unix command for me to edit it ?

What's the command to edit files for a newbie to understand ?

Last edited by TTgowings; 2008-05-14 at 07:56.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yes, you have to, but i won't recommend you vi for a newbie. Better install mc and run:

Code:
mc -e /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-battery.desktop
After deleting the Mandatory row, save with F2, then press F10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Wowsers Bundyo thank you so much for your help, it took me abit to figure out MC=Midnight Commander, but once I did I followed your and the above instructions and now I have my checkboxes back.

I learned abit more about command's today too, and what's more is I didn't have to reflash, yeh.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

And just an FYI for anyone else on getting MC to work, I had to go into redpill mode then I was able to install from the Elkins.org Repo via Gronmayer's Repo list

YouYou could also DL the MC deb from here via OPByte Software's site.

Last edited by TTgowings; 2008-05-14 at 13:52.