Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
You're being confusing. Your first post
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
is a simple request to rename this forum...
(btw, it's not so simple and is off the mark IMHO because you only talk about Maemo 6 while there is still a Maemo 4 and a Maemo 5 and other Maemo related issues discussed here)

And now you say
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This thread is about branding. "Maemo" brand won't be used beyond "Maemo 5" by Nokia. MeeGo is the new brand and "Harmattan" is the right denomination (as it already was) for the minority of people caring about the platform specifics.
You're being confusing. We are aware that the brand will change. Branding is for commercial entities like Nokia and Intel, this community is not obligated to follow such branding.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
You're being confusing. We are aware that the brand will change. Branding is for commercial entities like Nokia and Intel, this community is not obligated to follow such branding.
Well...I guess technically Nokia owns maemo.org both from a trademark AND site point of view (didn't they pay Reggie for ITT and now run and pay for this site?). So....Reggie will do what Nokia tells him to do and if that is renaming a forum he will do so.

The only confusing part here is why this Nokia-drone comes on here and is 'asking' to have the forum changed.

I think the last few days have shown that Nokia could care less about this community (especially its council) and they they do whatever they want to do.

So, why even asking?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Can someone just tell them to re-run the naming schemes with the focus group again?

Are they REALLY ABSOLUTELY SURE that they wanna go with MeeGo for a whole line of premium products...??
Quoted for effing truth.

What is gonna happen, is gonna happen, and we have very little saying on it, but I want get on record by saying that Maemo is an excellent name, while MeeGo, it is not. My Ego? iWent? Me Go? MeeGo is the iPad of Nokia/Intel.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Just to be absolutely clear, is the request to rename the "Maemo 6 / Harmattan" subforum on this site, or to rename the whole site? I read it as the former, which under the circumstances seems like it should be a minor and uncontentious change.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Wait...
Quim asked to change Maemo 6, not the entire Maemo community? Why should he address the whole community when only the latest variant is being asked to be changed - in branding?
Maemo 5 is called Maemo 5 in the same way that OS2008 is still OS2008. It's not a retroactive change.

Nokians started calling a release Maemo 6 and nokians are deprecating it (together with the use of any "Maemo" beyond Maemo 5). Maemo 6 is not in any product so it shouldn't be a big deal to stop using it to refer to Harmattan, or to confuse it with MeeGo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Just to be absolutely clear, is the request to rename the "Maemo 6 / Harmattan" subforum on this site, or to rename the whole site? I read it as the former, which under the circumstances seems like it should be a minor and uncontentious change.
That's reasonable. Let's assume he meant the subforum when he said forum. Agreed, not contentious. And could add a sticky linking to www.meego.com while we are at it.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
The only confusing part here is why this Nokia-drone comes on here and is 'asking' to have the forum changed.
Because I don't have permissions to change it for "MeeGo / Harmattan" myself.

It's a trivial change, as opposed to discuss the destiny of the whole maemo.org or even the whole talk.maemo.org, which deserves an own thoughtful discjussion, or many.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
(btw, it's not so simple and is off the mark IMHO because you only talk about Maemo 6 while there is still a Maemo 4 and a Maemo 5 and other Maemo related issues discussed here)
This forum (not the entire talk.maemo.org) is titled "Maemo 6 / Harmattan". Quim is simply proposing that it is renamed to "MeeGo / Harmattan" to reflect recent developments.

Can someone do it already and get it over with?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I think the last few days have shown that Nokia could care less about this community (especially its council) and they they do whatever they want to do.

So, why even asking?
Because they do care?
Even if for the announcement and press part of things Nokia did take business priorities above community priorities - already one day later they are showing that 2nd priority does not mean no priority.

I for one like the fact that the vague "we will trust the communities to decide on the community stuff" statement one-by-one proves to be a practice. Long way to go, but why not be happy about the first steps, like asking the community kindly?

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Can someone do it already and get it over with?
Only Reggie can make the change.

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding