Active Topics

Hey,
I wanted to know if there are any programs that allow me to turn on my PC remotely through my n810? The PCs I want to turn on have been configured for WOL (wake on LAN) but am not sure how I would do it from my n810.

The idea would be for me to sit on my couch and turn on my PC connected to my HDTV, like a remote. A magic packet would get sent to the NIC and my PC powers on. I could buy a SoundGraph iMON Inside to power it on remotely but I think WOL can be used on many more PCs. I found a WOL Python script but am not familiar with Python and how to implement this. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
copy that text from your link into a file and call it /home/user/wol.py.

get the mac address for the machine you want to send the WOL request to and change the last line of the file to match...

WakeOnLan('0:3:93:81:68:b2')

whats in between the single quotes should be the mac of your machine.

when you have that done, execute the following line...

chmod 700 /home/user/wol.py

you may need to run this as root so you may need to have becomeroot installed. if the script errors out, you may need to execute the following line in conjunction with the chmod line above...

chown root:root /home/user/wol.py

EDIT: make sure this is the first line in the file...

#! /usr/bin/python
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Last edited by brendan; 2008-01-11 at 23:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to brendan For This Useful Post:
Thanks brendan for the quick reply.

The last part of your edit said to add #! /usr/bin/python to the beginning. Is that only if I have to use

because of it error-ing out? Or just add it in general?

ie...

#! /usr/bin/python
# Wake-On-LAN
#
# Copyright (C) 2002 by Micro Systems Marc Balmer
# Written by Marc Balmer http://www.msys.ch/
# This code is free software under the GPL

import struct, socket

def WakeOnLan(ethernet_address):

# Construct a six-byte hardware address............

By the way, I used PyGTKEditor and copied the script's content to a file called wol.py, saved it to Documents folder and used X-terminal (with becomeroot) to gain access to root. I copied wol.py to /home/user/ using the command-line. I couldn't gain access to /home/user/ from PyGTKEditor directly.

The wol.py script didn't work but I think I have a router config problem.

Try this tool - http://www.rshut.com or wake up from Internet - http://www.rtsecurity.com/products/wol

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
Reviving an old thread here:

Originally Posted by brendan View Post
copy that text from your link into a file and call it /home/user/wol.py.

get the mac address for the machine you want to send the WOL request to and change the last line of the file to match...

WakeOnLan('0:3:93:81:68:b2')

whats in between the single quotes should be the mac of your machine.

when you have that done, execute the following line...

chmod 700 /home/user/wol.py

you may need to run this as root so you may need to have becomeroot installed. if the script errors out, you may need to execute the following line in conjunction with the chmod line above...

EDIT: make sure this is the first line in the file...

#! /usr/bin/python
Is it possible to do this if both computers are not on the same network (e.g. N810 using phone connection accessing remote computer on home network)?

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
For those of us who are not Linux gurus, this would make a good small application to package for generic consumption at the top level of the tablet menus.

Wake a computer on your home network via LAN after configuring its MAC (or better yet device name!).

Having this rolled up with a VPN client would make it super.

This would allow us to be even GREENER energy-wise as we could just power up our desktops only when required.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I've been dabbling in router firmwares so have a few of wol programs compiled for diablo:

http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/wol/

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by jellotherat View Post
Reviving an old thread here:

Is it possible to do this if both computers are not on the same network (e.g. N810 using phone connection accessing remote computer on home network)?
For that, get your router to do it for you. I was able to modify the firmware on my old linux based router and someone had made a toolchain so I was able to compile a wol program for the router and reflash the firmware.

What I did was to have it set so I could access web interface from the internet (not restricted to LAN only), set up a dyndns account using the router's internal feature for dyndns, and I'd access the router from the dyndns address and type the the ip of the computer and the router would do it.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-10-12 at 17:03.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I've been dabbling in router firmwares so have a few of wol programs compiled for diablo:

http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/wol/
That link doesn't seem to work anymore! Is there a replacement one?

Would really appreciate getting a simple WOL program for my N810.

Many thanks..

Howard.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: