Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What is not working so well is eggtimer. It triggered but now refuses to shut up, even after booting to console in bootmenu and deleting the eggtimer binary manually. I doubt it is related though. It may never have worked: this is the first time ever I have actually let it trigger.
I think it was EggTimer's fault. It could not cope well with the phone being switched off while it was counting down. It registered an alarm with alarmd and, after power down and up, the alarm triggered, but EggTimer was not running any more so there was no one to cancel the alarm. Or something like that anyway.

SSH to the rescue. Nothing else worked, pressing Stop in the dialogue just closed the dialogue which immediately sprang back and started playing again, giving me only a few seconds to do something. Repeating it several times rebooted the device. The only thing that worked was logging in through SSH and running
Code:
alarmd -Xrfs
It had the unfortunate side effect of deleting all my alarms; fortunately I had only four.

However, I have also noticed that my whatsitsname that pops up when you press the blue up arrow and Sym/Ctrl and allows you to type extra keys now looks like this (see below). Never mind the accented characters, that's deliberate. I am referring to the colours. Could that be the result of uninstalling ezitext?
Attached Images

Last edited by pichlo; 2012-11-19 at 19:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
However, I have also noticed that my whatsitsname that pops up when you press the blue up arrow and Sym/Ctrl and allows you to type extra keys now looks like this (see below). Never mind the accented characters, that's deliberate. I am referring to the colours. Could that be the result of uninstalling ezitext?
Yup. I have exactly the same in my dev-N900 where I've also removed ezitext* including dependencies and reverse dependencies.

I think the culprit is hildon-input-method-widgets and/or hildon-input-method-plugins-western, which gets uninstalled when imengines-ezitext gets removed.

When those are removed, I guess we just get some sort of default hard-code keyboard assistant.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
When those are removed, I guess we just get some sort of default hard-code keyboard assistant.
Another N900 "gem" worth noticing, thanks for the information

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I think the culprit is hildon-input-method-widgets and/or hildon-input-method-plugins-western, which gets uninstalled when imengines-ezitext gets removed.

Confirmed same issue here, shame there's no way of installing them with out pulling ezitext back again. Daft Nokia dependencies.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Confirmed same issue here, shame there's no way of installing them with out pulling ezitext back again. Daft Nokia dependencies.
Yes way! Why not download packages and repackage them without dependecies? Is it against the license? If not, I think it would be worth to give a shot and check if it works without these dependencies... Even if not, the other package contents may be extracted, examined and modified to contain only stuff needed for these.

edit: i mean, for personal use of course

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Yes way! Why not download packages and repackage them without dependecies? Is it against the license? If not, I think it would be worth to give a shot and check if it works without these dependencies... Even if not, the other package contents may be extracted, examined and modified to contain only stuff needed for these.

edit: i mean, for personal use of course
I guess this would also be something for CSSU (I already suggested in the CSSU thread that they could have a look at unnecessary dependencies). Unfortunately it may not be such a relevant topic (e.g. vs portrait support..) for the general public (which seems to have been the target for Nokia *and* for CSSU. We have to start assuming that only geeks, and an ever-decreasing number at that, actually own and use a N900).

Add.: Hmm.. maybe it's time for Maemo5 - Hacker edition

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Yes way!
Well, without recompiling them obviously.
As mentioned in a another thread there are lots of silly dependences that are not really proper (Nokia MetaPackage).
Will take some time to work out what can be removed and what is required.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
We have to start assuming that only geeks, and an ever-decreasing number at that, actually own and use a N900.
Given the amount of traffic in this thread, I cannot but agree

Add.: Hmm.. maybe it's time for Maemo5 - Hacker edition
I thought Maemo was a hacker edition

Edit: I am assuming that all the zzz scripts can go too. The "remove first boot flag" one is a no op anyway.

Last edited by pichlo; 2012-11-21 at 23:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Well, without recompiling them obviously.
As mentioned in a another thread there are lots of silly dependences that are not really proper (Nokia MetaPackage).
Will take some time to work out what can be removed and what is required.
Repackaging to remove wrong dependencies != recompiling. Repackaging can be done by anyone with access to vi and tar on own system (assuming that autobuilder is working), or if we want to avoid autobuilder, deb* tools too.

None of this require any recompiling, so it can be done for closed-source packages, too. BTW, re-packaging is not against any license. You can even put it into official repos - just remember to use non-free for closed source things, and, use modified names... (to avoid overwriting original packages - current state of repos is so wonderful, that anyone can overwrite any essential package with anything, in -devel).

Last edited by Siren; 2012-11-22 at 09:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Siren For This Useful Post:
I thought Maemo was a hacker edition
Not quite (at least in my book).

Edit: I am assuming that all the zzz scripts can go too. The "remove first boot flag" one is a no op anyway.
Yup. We'd need to figure out which of the scripts in /etc/init.d are executed, sourced or linked by any other startup scripts (which we know now are *only* in /etc/event.d).

Code:
$ grep init.d /etc/event.d/*
fmtx, funambol-cpp-api, iphb, ke-recv, ke-recv-extra, kernel-power (yup, ssh script is in /etc/init.d), pymaemo-optify, rcS, reboot, shutdown, wappushd).

As long as the above scripts don't call other scripts also in /etc/init.d we could edit/patch the corresponding scripts in /etc/event.d to include the relevant content.

Then not only /etc/rc?.d and /etc/event.replace.d/ could be deleted, but also /etc/init.d.

And then (finally) the startup scripts would all be nicely and self-containedly placed under /etc/event.d.

Not that it would change anything, per se, but who doesn't want a clean system?!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: