Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Hi, guys.

I need to set up an alarm early on this coming sunday, which is right after the clock moves back to CET here.

Should I set the alarm based on the assumption that the phone will change timezone automatically during the night? Should I do the opposite? Or should I just use a stupidphone or a countdown timer?

Oh, yes, I am on PR1.3 by the way :-)

Andrea.

The Following User Says Thank You to aboaboit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aboaboit View Post
Hi, guys.

I need to set up an alarm early on this coming sunday, which is right after the clock moves back to CET here.

Should I set the alarm based on the assumption that the phone will change timezone automatically during the night? Should I do the opposite? Or should I just use a stupidphone or a countdown timer?

Oh, yes, I am on PR1.3 by the way :-)

Andrea.
If I recall when you go to time and date settings there is the option to have automatic time update. If you have selected that option then the phone will change the time automatically.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
If I recall when you go to time and date settings there is the option to have automatic time update. If you have selected that option then the phone will change the time automatically.
Depending on how the internal clock is set, how alarms are scheduled, and how the OS handles daylight saving time, having the time set automatically may not change the time of the alarm trigger at all.

For a properly designed and implemented system, if the internal clock has not drifted significantly since the last time it was set or adjusted, a daylight saving time change or a time zone change does not cause a change to the internal clock at all, because it is set to UTC.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
For a properly designed and implemented system, if the internal clock has not drifted significantly since the last time it was set or adjusted, a daylight saving time change or a time zone change does not cause a change to the internal clock at all, because it is set to UTC.
A properly etc.etc. wouldn't suffer from:
bug 9627
bug 6933
bug 9898

So I believe I have reason to wonder what time an alarm will trigger after a timezone change; when I went to London earlier this month, all the events got moved one hour because the system was compensating for the new timezone (wrong idea: they were scheduled in local time but the calendar had no way to know it).

I guess I'll set the alarm and check with sqliteman what timezone is entered for the alarm in the db, unless somebody can relate a direct, first-hand experience, for the same dst->solar change case.