Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Poking around the Nokia BetaLabs site recently, I learned about Nokia Audiobooks, which is pretty much just what you'd expect: Recorded books that you can listen to on your Nokia S60 phone.

The description points out that MP3 compression isn't really suited for voice, and that using the AMR-WB codec* makes for way smaller files — 5 to 10 times smaller — that still have "excellent speech quality"

So you take any audiobook, convert it to the speech-optimal format with Nokia's free Audiobook Manager software, and listen to it with Nokia's Audiobook Player on the S60.

Why bother? Well, why waste space? "A typical 400-page novel translates into 10-20 hour long audiobook, which would traditionally take more than dozen CDs or hundreds of megabytes of low-quality MP3 files." Transfer times are faster and storage needs lower.

Maybe MP3 players will become MP3/AMR-WB players, handling this new format for on-the-go listening. But, honestly, I'd rather listen to an audiobook on my internet tablet than my phone.

Me, I don't like headphones or earbuds, so I really like the NIT's speakers. I wonder, Why doesn't Nokia port the Audiobook Player to the tablet? Or adapt the built-in media player to handle AMR-WB?

It makes a lot of sense to me. And, well, that's what I'd like to hear.

* "AMR-WB codec: Nokia Audiobooks uses standardized Adaptive Multi Rate-WideBand speech encoder (3GPP 26.190 / ITU-T G.722.2 See www.3GPP.org / www.itu.ch) for audio data compression in order to keep memory requirement for a book very small while maintaining excellent speech quality."
Read the full article.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I couldn't agree more! I would like to see Nokia support AMR-WB in the N-Series Tablets. Another possibility is that Canola could someday support it (though I think Canola may be only a front end and may need some other program to do the audio file decoding).

You stated the case very well.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
I would rather a better full featured ebook. Something about my mind doing the voices that beats audio books. FBreader is ok, but I am thinking about getting a sony ebook reader just for a decent ebook. and with FBreader sometimes when I click to the next page it starts going through multiple pages till I hit the page back button.. then I have to find my place again.... Sorry got kinda off topic there.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
I would rather have a better full featured ebook.
I want it all: a great ebook reader, yes, but also the capability to listen to audiobooks without their being hundreds of megabytes long.

More than that, I want a text-to-speech capability (with voices I have purchased) that I can crank up on one of those ebooks I'm reading and listen to the book while I'm running errands. (Or saved web pages, or reports, or whatever is necessary. But you get the picture.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
and with FBreader sometimes when I click to the next page it starts going through multiple pages till I hit the page back button.. then I have to find my place again.... Sorry got kinda off topic there.
There's a "Maemo" tab is preferences where you can enable a temporary fix for this bug.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Hundreds of megabytes? Seems a little over-the-top; 20 hours is only about 150 MB at 16kb/s. You could even go 8 kb/s.

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Read the full article.
Until they add support for Audible I see little value in this feature as my whole library of audiobooks is from Audible. I am not going to spend the time ripping a set of CD/DVD's and then re-encode them to whatever the fickle NIT is willing to support.

And I am not going to repurchase my content just for the NIT...it makes more sense to just use an MP3 player that already supports Audible as well as MP3 or other formats.

Well, then ask Audible to support the NIT's - it's not Nokia's fault that they don't support a proprietary file format/DRM scheme...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Until they add support for Audible I see little value in this feature as my whole library of audiobooks is from Audible. I am not going to spend the time ripping a set of CD/DVD's and then re-encode them to whatever the fickle NIT is willing to support.

And I am not going to repurchase my content just for the NIT...it makes more sense to just use an MP3 player that already supports Audible as well as MP3 or other formats.
My preference remains ARM-WB (provided that its audio quality is good).

How large are all the files for a single big novel in Audible?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Ken Follet "World Without End" 992 pages is 314 MB in Audible format.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeF For This Useful Post: