Posts: 118 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Some of you already use youtube-dl on the N900. As pymp is just a frontend, the most credit goes to the makes of youtube-dl and mplayer and lame and...

Pymp is the frontend for and based on the script youtube-dl. youtube-dl is a downloader for videos from certain sites (youtube.com, google video, yahoo video ...). Therefor it is not specialized on one. This program only relies on the availability of the video host. Which is much better than that of the conversion sites which also dont really function with mobile browsers.
For N900 cutting and normalizing the audio is only available if normalize and sox would be available.
Pymp needs python (pyqt), mplayer and lame installed.

Pymp is more intended for desktop computers but can also run on the N900. But it is recommend to keep the number of simultaneous downloads and conversions low.

The simple usage would be like:
Add some URLs into pymp. Start downloading. Watch the movies.

Features
  • Video download (many simultaneous)
  • mp3 conversion (many simultaneous)
  • Loading/saving of download lists
  • Starting mplayer to play the just downloaded files
  • Update youtube-dl as some webpage sometimes change their style and youtube-dl needs to adjust to it.

Not much, but enough to make me happy .

Screenshots

Resources

Pymp is currently available through extras-devel (search for extras-devel warnings before activating it).

pymp in extras-testing
Pymp builds on maemo.org
Pymp download page here you can get a *.deb or *tar.gz. The *tar.gz needs to be extracted on the PC (as long as it fails on the N900) and then the directory can be copied to the N900.
Pymp@googlecode
Pymp website

Last edited by emesem; 2011-02-14 at 20:03.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to emesem For This Useful Post:
Now there can be files or directories in the "download list" which then will be converted (if mp3 is checked).

This (nearly obvious) idea was given here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69882 .

Hi first thanks, I have been using cute tube to download music, but I figure the mp4 files are killing my battery and space.

I just did my first conversion of an mp4 (mp4 to mp3 of a youtube vid I had already downloaded) and it seemed to work although the progress bar never showed finished it only went to 50%.

Also the upgrade from version to version of the app fails, you have to do apt-get --purge and remove the old one first.

Also would it be possible to make it take wildcards? for instance all the mp4's I have in one directory I want to convert to mp3 but now I would have to specify each one manually. Much better would be /path/to/dir/*. even better would be a browse to dir so you don't have to peck away at it.

Also would be nice to have an option to have the conversion process strip off the .mp4 part of the file name. now it ends up taking the original file somefile.mp4 and changing it to somefile.mp4.mp3.

Again thanks for the app...

Last edited by extendedping; 2011-02-20 at 19:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your feedback. Those are nice ideas and I would like to implement them. But currently there is a lack of time. Sorry for that . And my wife doesn't know regexs/wildcards so she is happy so far .

The Following User Says Thank You to emesem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
would it be possible to make an app like this to convert audio files to mp3?

The Following User Says Thank You to corduroysack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Just use
Code:
mplayer -ao pcm audiofile
then
Code:
 lame audiodump.wav NewName.mp3

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
This is very nice, but change the 128kbps convert to 192-> . 128kbps is very lame if you play that on good speakers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
The version 0.0.5 (since 2011-06-05) is now able to only convert files to mp3 and also allows you to adjust the audio bitrate as you like. Thank you for your input .

Originally Posted by emesem View Post
The version 0.0.5 (since 2011-06-05) is now able to only convert files to mp3 and also allows you to adjust the audio bitrate as you like. Thank you for your input .
After update, when I try to start pymp nothing happens?

The Following User Says Thank You to copperviking For This Useful Post:
Yes, thats true. That is a bug in the pymp-debian installations scripts of the old version. You have to uninstall/remove it and install it again (no update).

For future releases updating will work.

So you can do the following to fix it on command line level:
Code:
apt-get remove --purge pymp #or: dpkg --purge pymp
apt-get install pymp

Last edited by emesem; 2011-06-20 at 03:21.