Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
EDIT: AS POINTED BY SOME COMMUNITY MEMBERS, THIS HACK HAS NO EFFECT IN N900.

Hi,

I packaged the quick hack mentined in this page: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alter...nel-patch.html

It's working in my N900 the same in my desktop and *should* increase perceived performance in the device but, of course, that's not guaranteed. But as kernel developers have themselves said they used this hack to test their "200 line patch", I think the gain is real.
To install, just install the attached deb AND REBOOT.

TRADITIONAL DEVEL WARNING APPLIES: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, MAY BRICK YOUR DEVICE. NOT INTENDED TO REGULAR USERS.

Post here if you think it makes any difference.
Attached Files
File Type: deb 4lineshack-0.1.deb (1.6 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by traysh; 2011-01-22 at 14:53. Reason: Forgot to mention reboot

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
Forgot to mention it's necessary to reboot after install.

All the programs you run on N900 has probably the same TTY, so you will not see any improvements with this.

This patch all it does is give different priorities to the processes depending on their attached TTY. It helps when you are compiling a kernel or doing an intensive task on the command line or in an XTerm (which uses another TTY), but I hardly doubt anyone is doing this on the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ignacius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
In which processes we should notice a difference after installing this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Keneraali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post
All the programs you run on N900 has probably the same TTY, so you will not see any improvements with this.

This patch all it does is give different priorities to the processes depending on their attached TTY. It helps when you are compiling a kernel or doing an intensive task on the command line or in an XTerm (which uses another TTY), but I hardly doubt anyone is doing this on the N900.
Yes, someone said that in another thread but in my computer it ran exactly the same so I'm not sure if there's really no effect or if people are saying things they don't know about. I'd suggest first installing and then taking conclusions.

Last edited by traysh; 2010-11-20 at 18:17. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by Keneraali View Post
In which processes we should notice a difference after installing this?
It should smoother in general, but I'm not sure, waiting for feedback

Originally Posted by traysh View Post
Yes, someone said that in another thread but in my computer it ran exactly the same so I'm not sure if there's really no effect or if people are saying things they don't know about. I'd suggest first installing and then taking conclusions.
Take into account the X server nowadays, doesn't run on a TTY anymore. Just check with "ps waux" and you will see a '?' on the TTY field meaning they haven't any attached.

Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post
Take into account the X server nowadays, doesn't run on a TTY anymore. Just check with "ps waux" and you will see a '?' on the TTY field meaning they haven't any attached.
I'm not sayinh you're wrong, Ignacius, you really seem to know what you're talking about. I'm not skilled enought to understand/discuss this, just using an empiric aproach. It take less time to install it and refute than to discuss.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
I'm not sayinh you're wrong, Ignacius, you really seem to know what you're talking about. I'm not skilled enought to understand/discuss this, just using an empiric aproach. It take less time to install it and refute than to discuss.
Could you tell us what improvements did you experience and in which use cases?

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I installed your package and see no immediate change in responsiveness. My guess is that it will increase responsiveness in high load situations when I have multiple apps running and the CPU is on high load.