Notices

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
Would it be possible to run google maps for WinMobile with gps support?
http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
If you could get SPOTIFY to run on Wine for N900 I'd be a very very very happy man

The Following User Says Thank You to gerrymoth For This Useful Post:
For those trying out the posted binaries, when you initially try to run wine (using something like "./wine notepad") you will get an error message about an issue with 'winedbg'. At this point you click 'Close', and the message comes up again. You must click 'Close' about 20 times before the application will run, but it will eventually run.

It seems this issue only comes up the very first time you run Wine, as running it later doesn't seem to bring up the annoying error screen.

The keyboard does not seem to work for me, so you cannot enter anything into any form.

I guess we can call this the barrier to entry if you want to try Wine on the N900

Thank you to Onion for bringing us this cool thing to the N900. Please keep up the good work, perhaps even fix WIne on the N900 enough to post it to the repositories.

Last edited by mail_e36; 2010-10-04 at 16:47.

Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
For those trying out the posted binaries, when you initially try to run wine (using something like "./wine notepad") you will get an error message about an issue with 'winedbg'. At this point you click 'Close', and the message comes up again. You must click 'Close' about 20 times before the application will run, but it will eventually run.

It seems this issue only comes up the very first time you run Wine, as running it later doesn't seem to bring up the annoying error screen.

The keyboard does not seem to work for me, so you cannot enter anything into any form.

I guess we can call this the barrier to entry if you want to try Wine on the N900

Thank you to Onion for bringing us this cool thing to the N900. Please keep up the good work, perhaps even fix WIne on the N900 enough to post it to the repositories.

hi everyone and thank you all. im waiting for wine for a long long time. now please some one help me how can i run binary files on N900??? i mean this wine.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I'm thinking of using some archaic version of Word. Should suit my typing-on-mobile needs perfectly.

What's that about a X86 emulator? Will nothing work without that?

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

In this version it seems like the keyboard is not working, which you'd need to make use of MS Word, perhaps Onion can clarify?

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
I'm thinking of using some archaic version of Word. Should suit my typing-on-mobile needs perfectly.

no one want to answer my question haaa?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
No standard, compiled Windows applications will work. Ignoring all the details, you have two major barriers to running Windows applications on the N900:
  1. Windows applications are written for, well, Windows, and Maemo is Linux.
  2. Windows applications are compiled for x86 and the N900 is ARM.

Wine converts system calls for one OS (Windows) to that of another (Linux). So, that helps with #1 above.

So, now we're left with #2, the problem that even if Wine translates system calls from Windows to Linux, they're still gibberish to the N900's ARM processor. We've a fabulous translation dictionary, the best there is, but the person we're giving it to only reads Braille.

So, compiled Windows applications like Word and most games are out. On the other hand, if you have an open source Windows application, you're now closer to getting it running on the N900 without having to port it to Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Will Abiword not do what you want?

I guess no one remembers this awesome thread:

Running native i386 linux binaries

So yes, you can run x86 apps and now you can hit thanks