Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
If the screen was in good shape, then most likely the whole tablet was also in good condition.

So what was the point of switching the screens?

Not always, I take good care of my N800, so no big scratch on my case. But the one I got from ebay, the case has some scratches, and the speaker is not working. But it has a screen protector on the screen from day one, so the screen is at perfect condition.

The Following User Says Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
Hi everyone. Been away for a few years after my n800's screen started rolling, and I got rid of it. I used a ipod touch for a few yeares but the speakers sucked! But now, I just ordered an N800 off of ebay for about $40. I'm HOPING that if it has lasted this long it will be ok. I loved my old n800 because of the speakers, mp3, fm radio, internet radio, web browsing, and rss, which is mostly what I used it for. I bought two 32gb sd cards for about $54. So I have a nice little 64GB internet tablet/media player for under $100!
My question is, do ALL of these screens fail? Or am I probably gonna be ok now? Also, I think the screen failures have to do with heat. I remember that my old one would get pretty hot in the upper right corner near the screen when I would be charging it up from a low battery and using it at the same time. But it stayed cooler if I let it charge when it was in standby. Once the battery is charged up, I could use it while plugged in without the heat problem. It seems to mainly happen when charging the battery from low battery state AND using it (having the screen on) at the same time. Another thought occurs to me. I'm wondering if I should take it apart and drill some little vent holes near the 'hotspot' to help keep it cool and protect the screen. What do you guys think?

Paul.

Last edited by paulm64; 2012-02-02 at 13:55.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I don't recall mine getting really hot; can get somewhat warm charging the battery, but not in the corners, and not especially hot when its in use and on charge.

I haven't used mine much since I bought my Fujitsu U820 except when I flashed it with nitdroid, and after a few weeks reverted.

At some point I am to create a(some) simplified health view(s) of our monitoring system at work which will fit nicely in an 800x600 screen, so I can make use of my 770 and n800 again.

--edit-- added punctuation to clarify

I just thought of something. They're getting so cheap now, I should just buy a few spares. Just start buying the $40 dollar ones as they show up and then throw them in a drawer. LOL! Who cares if the screen goes bad! Just pull out a spare! I know there's newer better ones out but I really like the n800. I like the speakers and the two sd card slots! Especially since the 32GB SDHC cards are getting so cheap, too!

Last edited by paulm64; 2012-02-03 at 00:30. Reason: typo, clarification

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I don't recall mine getting really hot; can get somewhat warm charging the battery, but not in the corners, and not especially hot when its in use and on charge.

--edit-- added punctuation to clarify
Well, mine did get pretty warm in the upper right corner area. Mostly on the back but it seemed to be in the general area that would be behind the upper right corner of the LCD. If it got pretty warm on the outside I can only assume it was much hotter inside.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Paul.

If you find any more, I'll buy one from you.

I had a brand new back up just waiting to be used until my neighbor decided to take it for himself, including my pocket pc with all of my med apps after raiding my fridge of beer.

On top of that, I previously let him borrow hundreds to help him and his 7 member family.

Strange, all I really care about is wanting my N800 back... well that and maybe some of my beers.

I absolutely adore this thing.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey Paul.

If you find any more, I'll buy one from you.

I had a brand new back up just waiting to be used until my neighbor decided to take it for himself, including my pocket pc with all of my med apps after raiding my fridge of beer.

On top of that, I previously let him borrow hundreds to help him and his 7 member family.

Strange, all I really care about is wanting my N800 back... well that and maybe some of my beers.

I absolutely adore this thing.
Just keep an eye on eBay. That's what I did. Seems like most of them go for like around $80-$100. If you're patient, you'll find a cheap one on there. Good luck!

I've had my 'new' n800 for a few weeks now and it doesn't get hot like the last one I had. It gets a little warm but nothing like the last one I had. Maybe this one will last longer.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I have the same problem than others.

Is there N800 schematic or diagrams containing the electronic components?

I opened my device, checked the wires and components but I still having the issue.
Someone said that the issue is located in the screen, in that case there are few components there but two are integrated circuits, anyway even if the component were detected to solder there is quite difficult.

In my opinion we should try to find the screen technical details and manufacturer, and try to find it directly in electronic components shops.

More details:
http://bloglon.blogspot.com.es/2012/...okia-n800.html

Tags
jitter, n800, rolling, screen, scrolling