Active Topics

Poll: Did you try Qt5 on N900?
Poll Options
Did you try Qt5 on N900?

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
You have no idea how this stuff works. The car analogy was OK for a bit, but now you've taken it too far. Just remember how I said it won't work as you wish it would.
You'll get the placebo effect like all the other people who installed Qt5 on their N9's and felt how fast and smooth it made everything. When in reality the Qt5 libraries just sat there doing nothing, because none of the UI code was linked against them, and still used the old Qt4 libraries that were installed.

But damn, why the f*ck am I arguing here with someone who is totally clueless and still fails to accept facts?

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
maybe devs port their apps to use the newer qt features?
how about that?

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-02-07 at 15:29.

That will make it even worse: you'll have to have both Qt5 (for the particular app) and Qt4 (for the rest of the UI) loaded in RAM to work.
That's gonna cause an opposite effect, filling up the RAM and making things even slower.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
That will make it even worse: you'll have to have both Qt5 (for the particular app) and Qt4 (for the rest of the UI) loaded in RAM to work.
That's gonna cause an opposite effect, filling up the RAM and making things even slower.
While I agree with you in most points, this perspective is a bit too pessimistic: N900's main GUI is still GTK, so you're not forced to load Qt4 and porting an app to Qt5 is quite easy (especially since nearly no app uses Qt3-support etc.).
Don't forget that the number of Qt5 apps will increase and that Qt4 apps will become Qt5-only apps (in fact the reason I looked at this again is, that I'd like to use Qt5 features and my app compiles clean as Qt5 on every platform but Android and Maemo. Official Qt5 support for Android starts with 5.1.)

Edit: And could we please come back to the discussion, how to make Qt5 possible? Anyone is free to use or ignore it aftwerwards.
Could someone with some OpenGL ES knowledge explain the basic usage, so that I understand what's broken (see post on page 3).

Last edited by frafI; 2013-02-07 at 17:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Qt5 is a must-be for Fremantle

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
finally someone agrees what i've said

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I don't understand the negativity about this.. If you can port QT5 do it, even if it was for fun... I don't understand why would anyone object to that! Good luck on this and can't wait to test things out!

Sorry if I was percieved negative, I was just merely pointing out that porting Qt5 to Maemo will not make the OS run smoother. frafl's point is valid, I forgot that the GUI is GTK, but it's still likely you'll need to load both libs if you have a qt4 app that runs in the background or as a daemon.

Back on topic...

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
A few more details:
I'm using qtbase commit e17dddfd3bcc09a9ae919a1650107c8cd3a75d08, and here is the git diff:
http://paste.kde.org/668216/

Last edited by frafI; 2013-02-09 at 14:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by frafI View Post
The calendar example runs!
However, as expected, it looks like Win95: mouse pointer, tiny font etc.

I just copied the libraries without adjusting the paths, so the QtQuick module isn't found yet (even though libQt5Quick.so is in the library path).
Edit: Copied qtbase/qml/QtQuick.2 to the folder of the application, now Qml apps fail with:

Code:
Cant find EGLConfig, returning null config
QQuickWindow: makeCurrent() failed...
ASSERT: "context" in file opengl/qopenglfunctions.cpp, line 194
Aborted
Shortlog of what I've done:
  1. git clone etc. (see http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git)
  2. remove the hardfp flag in qtbase/mkspecs/devices/linux-maemo-n9-g++/qmake.conf
  3. configure using sysroot and toolchain from Madde: ./configure -developer-build -opensource -nomake examples -nomake tests -no-gtkstyle -confirm-license -device linux-maemo-n9-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/toolchains/arm-2007q3-51sb6-gdb71-arm-none-linux-gnueabi_linux_x86_64/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- -sysroot /opt/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/sysroots/fremantle-arm-sysroot-20.2010.36-2-slim/ -qt-xcb
  4. make and wait for errors
  5. #define missing XCB constants to 0 (they are defined as such on Ubuntu), except for those containing ATOM: copy the enum in xproto.h of your host system
  6. remove missing parts from xcb-error struct in the error handling function (they are just printed to stderr)
  7. minor corrections when another error occurs
  8. copy some libs (depends on example), an example and the xcb-plugin (to ./platform/libqxcb.so) to the N900 and run ./example (I've tried calendar (in examples/widgets/richtext/))

Here are the binaries:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2299259/qt5/calendar
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2299259/qt5/qt5libs.tar.gz
You might want to look here: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/x11-maemo to find out what changes have been applied to Maemo-ize Qt. Or use the rzr's OBS sources. (but they're all separate for qt5-base, declarative, etc.)

EDIT: And here might be the changes Nokia made for MeeGo Qt: http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...ree/q/qt4-x11/
I'm not sure how it was done but in changelog there was some stuff about the cursor

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2013-02-09 at 16:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: