Active Topics

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Southwest USA Desert
Many of the online (cloud) apps I run are now having problems. Most of the Google Apps (Gmail & Schedule) now warn me that my browser cannot run the app, with other apps reporting either browser or flash update required. Is there software updates I'm not aware of that will allow these apps to run fully? My OS2008 is up to date and Application Manger doesn't show me any app updates available. Most of what I see being discussed now is for N900. Are we expected to throw away the N8xx's and buy 900's? I'm hoping I'm just missing something here. Solutions please,.... Thanks

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Many of the online (cloud) apps I run are now having problems. Most of the Google Apps (Gmail & Schedule) now warn me that my browser cannot run the app, with other apps reporting either browser or flash update required. Is there software updates I'm not aware of that will allow these apps to run fully? My OS2008 is up to date and Application Manger doesn't show me any app updates available. Most of what I see being discussed now is for N900. Are we expected to throw away the N8xx's and buy 900's? I'm hoping I'm just missing something here. Solutions please,.... Thanks
Apart from Gmail and 'schedule' - what apps/sites in particular are you seeing these issues?

Browser related issues may potentially be resolved by using a browser other than microB (Opera for instance if no flash is required) or you may try to simply mask your browser/device using a different User Agent.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Apart from Gmail and 'schedule' - what apps/sites in particular are you seeing these issues?

Browser related issues may potentially be resolved by using a browser other than microB (Opera for instance if no flash is required) or you may try to simply mask your browser/device using a different User Agent.
Other than Gmail & Schedule, most Google Apps as well as Facebook when trying to see all "my friends", and just about any site that uses Flash.
Can you recommend a browser replacement? I've tried some from the "Download" area but they were significantly slower than MicroB. Also, I don't understand "mask your browser/device using a different User Agent".
Thanks,
Slim

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Are we expected to throw away the N8xx's and buy 900's?
Heck, no, you're expected to throw away your n800 and your n900 and buy the new! and improved! model that's coming soon (which you'll have to throw away in a year time to buy the newest! and even more improved! model).

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Are we expected to throw away the N8xx's and buy 900's? I'm hoping I'm just missing something here. Solutions please,.... Thanks
I'm beginning to think that if you got rid of your N8xx's and N900, you might forfeit your right to be able to speak here in these forums.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Some of us still release software for the n8x0. Each of the programs I manages has the same code base between n8x0 and n900. I continue to plan to release software for the n8x0 (and n900 when the n9 releases).

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Some of us still release software for the n8x0. Each of the programs I manages has the same code base between n8x0 and n900. I continue to plan to release software for the n8x0 (and n900 when the n9 releases).
That's fantastic and appreciated, but I suspect he's speaking more to the generally outdated kernel and decrepit, aging, rusted-out closed-source applications that are forced on N8x0 users with the available images.

Do we have a list of programs/apps that are still currently being worked on? I know of a few, but it would be interesting to know how much the n8x0's are still getting.

Originally Posted by cstryon View Post
Do we have a list of programs/apps that are still currently being worked on?
http://maemo.org/downloads/updated/OS2008/100/ is a good indication, though it doesn't cover work-in-progress such as packages in extras-devel. For those you can see the extras-cauldron-builds list (posts tagged with [diablo]).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Just seems like Nokia has no interest in maintaining the included software, especially after the next product is released. Thanks to the community here and the likes of Epage we can continue to use the product. Seems if we had to rely on Nokia, we would have bricks by now...expensive bricks I might add.
Thanks for all the comments, and would still like to hear a recommendation for an alternate to MicroB. I'd sure like to be able to access Google Buzz, and of course Gmail's "Call Phone" would be a dream.
Slim