Damn, I just tried it downtown with a perfect signal and it still doesn't work (even through USB cable).

Anyone have any ideas?

Nevermind, I figured it out - yay! I just had to manually configure the proxy in Firefox.

For anyone else struggling with this, here are step-by-step instructions on how to connect your PC to the internet via USB tethering your N900's Speakout GPRS connection:

1) Connect to Speakout ("Rogers Internet") on your N900 (make sure it's actually using the GPRS connection and not WIFI!)
2) Download and install the Nokia Ovi Suite
3) Connect your N900 in "PC Suite Mode"
4) Go to "Tools > Options > Connect to internet"
5) Select "Canada" for "Home country" and "Rogers (Internet Tethering)" for "Home operator"
6) Select "Tools > Connect to internet"
7) In Firefox, open "Options > Advanced > Network" and click "Settings..."
8) Choose "Manual proxy configuration", enter "10.128.1.69" as the "HTTP Proxy" and "80" as the "Port". Also check the box that says "Use this proxy server for all protocols" (this will make sure SSL works so you can visit "HTTPS" sites).

That's it! Please note: you will have to change your proxy settings in Firefox back the way they were to browse the internet on a normal WIFI connection!

I'll have to try it with Bluetooth on my laptop when I get the chance but I think it should work now...

Last edited by spamaverter; 2012-04-12 at 06:02.

Damn it! It still doesn't work via bluetooth... only works via USB cable.

I can pair the N900 with my notebook just fine (browsing files works) but when I try clicking "Tools > Connect to internet", it's still returning the same error: "SIM card is missing. Insert SIM card and try again" which is bizarre since I'm able to connect via the USB cable.

I'm officially stumped. Any smart people out there who can help me? Sad face.

Nevermind, I've figured it out! Here is a step-by-step guide on how to connect your Windows 7 PC to the internet via Bluetooth tethering your N900's Speakout GPRS connection:

1) Connect to Speakout ("Rogers Internet") on your N900 (make sure it's actually using the GPRS connection and not WIFI!)
2) Install "Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking" on your N900
3) Pair your N900 with your PC via Bluetooth (if you don't know how, just download, install & run the Nokia Ovi Suite)
4) Click Start > Devices and Printers
5) Right-click your N900 and choose "Dial-up Networking > Create a dial-up connection..."
6) Enter *99# as the Dial-up phone number and leave the rest blank
7) In Firefox, open "Options > Advanced > Network" and click "Settings..."
8) Choose "Manual proxy configuration", enter "10.128.1.69" as the "HTTP Proxy" and "80" as the "Port". Also check the box that says "Use this proxy server for all protocols" (this will make sure SSL works so you can visit "HTTPS" sites).

That's it! (Again, please remember you need to revert your proxy settings when connecting your PC to the internet via WIFI.)

It should work now. Yay, I'm so happy.

Last edited by spamaverter; 2012-04-12 at 20:39.

well done I knew you could do it...

provided you have a stable connection where you are, what's your advantage of using bluetooth over the usb?

I would be under the impression that usb tethering would be far superior to the bluetooth and the option of keeping your battery charging while you surf the net.

On the other hand, if you're like me and you live in a blackspot and the best connection is at the window, I would be tempted to use my n900 as a wifi hotspot. Search Joikuspot or QT hotspot or mobile hotspot. I believe wifi is superior to bluetooth.

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks, the main advantage is simple - you can whip out your laptop on a bus/train/wherever and connect without having to mess about with a cable.

I saw somewhere that you can enable Bluetooth PAN but it's a lot more of a hassle to get working (needs new kernel, etc). This is way simpler and good enough for me.

It doesn't work anymore by the way. I wouldn't recommend Speakout Wireless anymore - especially since they've severely limited their data plan.