Active Topics

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
interesting read, one thing though, they claim the intel chipset will only have android drivers? find it hard to believe (maybe I'm misreading it but they do mention need of writing native sailfish drivers, wouldn't those be just generic linux drivers?)

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
interesting read, one thing though, they claim the intel chipset will only have android drivers? find it hard to believe (maybe I'm misreading it but they do mention need of writing native sailfish drivers, wouldn't those be just generic linux drivers?)
No, that's about that everything comes in one package, choose one, have to choose all, from technical perspective. See comment on camera.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
IIRC the issue is that the Android drivers are available now and are usable for what they need + they are using Android drivers almost everywhere else. The native drivers also kinda exists but from what I remember from IRC/Together/etc. they are either not as performant, incomplete or both. Also I have seen some hints that the Alien Dalvik Android emulation layer might need some Android bits and pieces to work correctly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
IIRC the issue is that the Android drivers are available now and are usable for what they need + they are using Android drivers almost everywhere else. The native drivers also kinda exists but from what I remember from IRC/Together/etc. they are either not as performant, incomplete or both. Also I have seen some hints that the Alien Dalvik Android emulation layer might need some Android bits and pieces to work correctly.
if you follow that logic why not just use android? i think there is need to make something native from scratch...

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
if you follow that logic why not just use android? i think there is need to make something native from scratch...
Well, as long as only the Android drivers are used and the rest is a fairly normal glibc using Linux distro, I'm fine with that.

BTW, for comparison, Firefox OS went a slightly different way, reusing much more of Android, it is not even using glibc but bionic. It is more or less Android - Dalvik + Firefox as a single fullscreen application providing the whole GUI.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, as long as only the Android drivers are used and the rest is a fairly normal glibc using Linux distro, I'm fine with that.

BTW, for comparison, Firefox OS went a slightly different way, reusing much more of Android, it is not even using glibc but bionic. It is more or less Android - Dalvik + Firefox as a single fullscreen application providing the whole GUI.
i wouldn't comment on that, as my problem with FirefoxOs is that it's not native (html5 is not exactly native) in first place.

As for drivers, i think the problem here is that if you depend on android and use parts of it, you'll be in shadow of it. i might be wrong on that one, and it's really more of own believes as i can live with that, i just don't agree with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
No, that's about that everything comes in one package, choose one, have to choose all, from technical perspective. See comment on camera.
Not sure if camera part got trimmed, seen one sentence, but kudos about the uefi/secureboot/fastboot part, hopefully people who care about those so loudly can come in and voice their objections while things can still be changed. Looking forward to more of these posts

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
any word about 3G yet ?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

i wouldn't comment on that, as my problem with FirefoxOs is that it's not native (html5 is not exactly native) in first place.
Yeah, I also don't like how it is forcing you to use only HTML5 and Javascript for app development. Actually I don't like any platform that wants to prevent you from writing application in Python for political (not technical) reasons.

As for drivers, i think the problem here is that if you depend on android and use parts of it, you'll be in shadow of it. i might be wrong on that one, and it's really more of own believes as i can live with that, i just don't agree with that.
I still thing it is understandable and probably necessary in the current unhealthy mobile device space climate ("Android or GTFO").

But you really need to make sure to dump as much of Android as possible and to use only the smallest part possible, so that you are not forced to incorporate the various unfortunate/bad/stupid/batshit insane Android design decisions into your project.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet