Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Does for me, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
So has anyone managed to get this to stream successfully to a computer somewhere on the internet? (Or is that what "Stream to the web as watchdog" means?)

I've tried everything I can think of, but so far I'm only able to get it to connect to machines on my local net.

Other than that little quibble, this app is just great!

I'll test it out tomorrow on another network just to be sure, but for now it only works on LAN (I think!).

The "stream to the web" objective is to try and do what the Qik app does, which is to stream through the internet and save it onto a webserver, which can then be accessed from anywhere.

Not really sure how Im gonna go about doing that....but we'll see.

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
This will work over the WAN but crucially your receiving firewall will need to cooperate and you will need to mod the .spd file according to the setup at the transmitting end regarding NAT. Assuming the target PC is NATed behind a firewall, the receiving FW (the target IP address) will need to admit and pass on traffic (udp or tcp depending on what the script does) to the target port.
If the sending phone is behind a firewall, then that firewall will provide the IP for the .sdp file. Thus the auto-generated. sdp will not be suitable. Trying this over mobile internet will likely result in a NAT-like situation, where the APN assigned IP of the n900 will not appear as the transmitting one.
So some fiddling around will get it working. And tcp might prove more robust than udp depending on the firewall setup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I've tested the application using the phone's 3G connection and trying to connect from a PC connected to ADSL.

Negative result and not get it to work. Using VLC as a client.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteWolf For This Useful Post:
I just tried on my uni's network between two different networks (I think), and yes - result is negatory.

The fiddling that handaxe talked about earlier, seems to be way beyond my level of current expertise....

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
This will work over the WAN but crucially your receiving firewall will need to cooperate and you will need to mod the .spd file according to the setup at the transmitting end regarding NAT. Assuming the target PC is NATed behind a firewall, the receiving FW (the target IP address) will need to admit and pass on traffic (udp or tcp depending on what the script does) to the target port.
If the sending phone is behind a firewall, then that firewall will provide the IP for the .sdp file. Thus the auto-generated. sdp will not be suitable. Trying this over mobile internet will likely result in a NAT-like situation, where the APN assigned IP of the n900 will not appear as the transmitting one.
So some fiddling around will get it working. And tcp might prove more robust than udp depending on the firewall setup.
Thanks for that. I think I've been doing what you describe, but it's still not working for me. Just to be sure, here's what I've tried:

- My local router configured to forward port 5000 tcp/udp to my N900's IP address

- The remote router configured to forward port 5000 tcp/udp to the receiving machine's IP address (ie: the DHCP address assigned to the computer on its local network)

- "Address" field in PhoneStreamer set to IP address of the remote client (ie: the address assigned to them by their ISP)

- Modified the .sdp file so that MY ISP-assigned IP address is the one to be used by VLC

- Sent the .sdp file to the remote computer and used it to launch VLC on the remote machine

Nada.

One puzzling thing I discovered while fiddling around with this is that if I use my dyndns name in the SDP file and start a local stream, VLC will find my N900 and connect just fine! Same with using my ISP-assigned IP address -- as long as the source and target of the stream are on MY network, VLC will happily go out to the internet to find the stream and connect it...

I admit to having only a very basic understanding of how this networking stuff works, but that's got me really confused since it seems to suggest the port-forwards are working as intended.

Any ideas?

@ Bingley Joe: are you on Windows? I ask because the "xout" mode uses tcp (right tetrix_11?) and that might be the one to try. But Windows ... well there are gstreamer binaries one could install but 'nix systems are way easier for this.

Having opened by big mouth (well, ...typing fingers), I will have to try myself. As they say on Mythbusters, "failure is always an option...".

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
I admit to having only a very basic understanding of how this networking stuff works, but that's got me really confused since it seems to suggest the port-forwards are working as intended.
Routers can route internally what appears to be externally addressed traffic. Mine does.

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-03-22 at 14:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Yep Xout uses TCP.
Exact line: gst-launch-0.10 tcpclientsrc host="+localip+" port="+port+" ! jpegdec ! autovideosink

Ta tetris11_,

for the record, please post the other 2 lines.

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream