Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I agree with endsormeans if i haven choosen n900 i would have been a satisfied android user but now i just cant take it though i have a andro device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
I agree with endsormeans if i haven choosen n900 i would have been a satisfied android user but now i just cant take it though i have a andro device.
It was the same in my case, except that the first drug-device that started it all was Openmoko Neo Freerunner here

Anyway, the price of Neo900 is hardly a matter of us wanting to sell it expensive. It's mostly inevitable cost of design and production.

With production run estimated at around 350 devices at the moment, it's practically "custom made", and such things always cost much more than their mass production equivalents.

We understand that the price is high and that not everyone who would like to get it will be able to afford it, even when valuing its freedom, security and privacy really high. The only thing we can do to make it cheaper is to make it common - and I'd say we're exactly trying to do that, but with baby-steps. Neo900 first, world domination of open devices next After all, you have to start somewhere.

Still, I guess discussing the "why so expensive" matter again and again is a PITA to everyone involved, so please try to keep it to minimum! Thanks

Last edited by dos1; 2014-04-08 at 00:17.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by DDark View Post
Not a suggestion, just curious, is it possible to create cluster of two SoC's on PCB and use 1GB RAM with 512MB PoP chip connected to each SoC?
I don't know if I got your question right...

I pondered building a PCB with a 1GB RAM chip and a 1GB NAND storage chip and solder that in place of the unobtainium chip on top of the SoC - but it would be real frankenstein, and probably extremely demanding to get it right, considering the ball pitch and signal propagation timing restrictions and all.
In short it might be possible but I don't consider it a feasible solution, particularly for series production of a reliable and sturdy device.
Note that we found a 1GB RAM-only PoP chip, and NAND can get attached in the "usual" classical way.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-04-08 at 11:37.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Got it actually i didnt read the docs i thought them diffrent thing

Last edited by nokiabot; 2014-04-08 at 14:17.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I don't know if I got your question right...

I pondered building a PCB with a 1GB RAM chip and a 1GB NAND storage chip and solder that in place of the unobtainium chip on top of the SoC - but it would be real frankenstein, and probably extremely demanding to get it right, considering the ball pitch and signal propagation timing restrictions and all.
In short it might be possible but I don't consider it a feasible solution, particularly for series production of a reliable and sturdy device.

/j
I asked about even more frankenstein PCB, but your idea is more elegant, sadly non of them are feasible solution.

And for the price, after recent findings of Replicant Team in Samsung Devices(I got GNote2), paying little above the market for data privacy(let's not forget the other cool features, but this one IMHO is most important), I think it's worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
I just really, really hope that Neo900 will end up with VGA output, even if via (sorry for repeating myself) any_random_with_enough_pins, easily obtainable, flat socket on PCB (think something like socket for connecting screen module, just smaller and more simple), leaving doing connection and device's body modification to users. As long as plug for that socket is obtainable too, of course

I said "even if", but actually, it would be my favorite way of implementing it, actually (apart from using USB socket for same purpose, aka MHL, which won't happen, probably, for various reasons presented earlier by devs).

If Neo900 lack this feature, I'm really afraid that Pyra (even without optional GSM module) paired with regular N900 (which are cheap as ICE nowadays. ICE, got the pun?), may become a really good alternative for mobile computing/cellular needs, at nearly same price tag and "ideological" openness. If only for *my* needs, then no problem, but otherwise, it may hinder "way to mobile world domination" quite a lot.

Especially, with momentum of FOSS development that OpenPandora keep (and is even increasing, lately), which can't be said about Maemo. Sure, sentiment to Fremantle (particularly, Hildon) means a lot, but even it have some borders.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-04-08 at 14:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I agree with Estel on that. If Neo900 gets any monitor-compatible output (be it VGA, or DVI, or HDMI), it will look a lot more charming. Imagine an N900-like device which can completely replace PC in most common tasks when provided with a wireless keyboard and mouse, external monitor and HDD, while still being a quite compact mobile phone/computer when you're on the go. That's what I'm trying to make of my N900, btw, but it has quite some limitations, and RCA-only video output is one major of them.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-08 at 12:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Will the measurements be different in the physical size comparing n900 and neo900 ?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by andreas1 View Post
Will the measurements be different in the physical size comparing n900 and neo900 ?
Yes, Neo900 will be a tiny bit higher due to the sandwich solution and spacer frame (<3mm, about as much as a match)

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-04-08 at 13:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
The main argument for not including extra ports/sockets has been that it would require case modification which is understandable. Any thoughts on including extra ports inside the spacer frame? If they don't fit in the spacer frame, it could perhaps be a custom option to have a larger spacer frame for those that are willing to have a slightly bulkier device as a trade-off.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!