Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
in 2050 there will be ios 3 in n900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
in 2050 there will be ios 3 in n900
Hmmm I don't think so, maybe on Neo900

By the way, it has been said in websites posted in comments above, that this project is in a non-UI state at this time, but what are the benefits of porting on the N900, will we be able to run OSX/iOS apps through command line, and from a long term view, will it be possible to port an UI on this???

Last edited by Boemien; 2013-11-26 at 20:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Hmmm I don't think so, maybe on Neo900

By the way, it has been said in websites posted in comments above, that this project is in a non-UI state at this time, but what are the benefits of porting on the N900, will we be able to run OSX/iOS apps through command line, and from a long term view, will it be possible to port an UI on this???
The primary goal for this project is to make an open source implementation of Darwin for arm. The N900 is just one of several testing platforms being used to reach this goal.

As for GUI support, this should be attainable by adapting a version of OSX's IOGraphics for the kernel (apple already uses an embedded profile of IOGraphics for the iOS kernel).

Also to note, some iOS kernel extensions, like AppleMobileFileIntegrity, already work without problems with this kernel.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
It's all open sauce.

A little birdie told me this only builds properly on Linux hosts ('buntu 13.10 confirmed OK); building with the target OMAP3430_RX51 produces a binary you can combine with GenericBooter which passes... stuff along from the boot environment (u-boot) to the xnu kernel.

The little birdie also told me that a real N900 on-hand (this was ported first to the N900 QEMU...) would help - you may want to send the guy one to help 'em along!

Birdie also notes that the recommended userland filesystem package for this would be iPhone OS 4.3.5. Accelerated graphics don't work for now, so you're stuck in console (non-single user at least!) mode.

This would also be semi-effortlessly portable to the N9/50 if a u-boot port was made. The N900 port is a good place to start.

Hardware keyboard doesn't work. Yet, at least. Use the serial console if you need it.
I did make a nice keyboard driver this week. Getting an N900 might be really nice for development purposes.

Currently, I do debug in QEMU and I have other people test the kernels on their hardware.

Luckily, not so much of the kernel is platform dependent, so I can do debug on my BeagleBoard xM, or an iPhone 4. Let me know if you can get me an N900 for development. I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by winocm; 2013-11-30 at 04:38. Reason: Additions

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to winocm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The primary goal for this project is to make an open source implementation of Darwin for arm. The N900 is just one of several testing platforms being used to reach this goal.

As for GUI support, this should be attainable by adapting a version of OSX's IOGraphics for the kernel (apple already uses an embedded profile of IOGraphics for the iOS kernel).

Also to note, some iOS kernel extensions, like AppleMobileFileIntegrity, already work without problems with this kernel.
im confused

The Following User Says Thank You to oenthaa For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by oenthaa View Post
im confused
Please elaborate?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Please elaborate?
I read this post , but I always fail to boot . what is wrong ? I use ubuntu 14 64bit .

The Following User Says Thank You to oenthaa For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by oenthaa View Post
I read this post , but I always fail to boot . what is wrong ? I use ubuntu 14 64bit .
Could be any of dozens of things. Booting to alternative OS'es is not a trivial thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by winocm View Post
I did make a nice keyboard driver this week. Getting an N900 might be really nice for development purposes.

Currently, I do debug in QEMU and I have other people test the kernels on their hardware.

Luckily, not so much of the kernel is platform dependent, so I can do debug on my BeagleBoard xM, or an iPhone 4. Let me know if you can get me an N900 for development. I would really appreciate it.
Quick question...

Hmm... I would gladly get you one (not my own, though ;-) ). Maybe, this one?

Any news? I have read Milestone One; and I see GitHub is alive.

Would you consider using GNUstep as GUI, with time?

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
A link...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU-Darwin
Thank you. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:

Tags
darwin, nokia n900