Notices

Originally Posted by heybige View Post
I actually have been using Fennec/Firefox for a couple of weeks exclusively, mostly because I've gotten so used to the various finger-gestures to call up the awesome bar/back-forward buttons/tabs, etc. I love the add ons and the possibilities are great. I also think the bookmark implementation is better (and easier to manage, thanks to Weave). But reading this thread made me hop back onto MicroB and it's just so much smoooother I may have to switch back... That said, MicroB does seem to crash more often - I've rarely had that problem with Firefox.
Though I am not using FF exclusively, for the past weeks it has been my main browser. I completely agree that it is less smooth and less responsive, but functionality wise (weave and other add ons) I am always drawn back to it.

Moreover, I feel that FF can still improve a lot, while MicroB may not gain much in terms of functionality (I base this on my experiences with previous Nokia phones, though I appreciate the very limited portrait support). Lastly, HTML5 is the future of the web, and I believe that the FF browser could well have better support for this.

In summary, I like both browsers a lot, but have lately been drawn more to FF.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It's built into Firefix, no need for a plugin.

Though I can't get it to work. It seems to only use network positioning and not the internal GPS, and it won't work for me. Though microB and all the GPS using programs use the internal GPS (or if I turn off the internal GPS) the network positioning just fine. It's just fennec that won't use the network positioning correctly (it never finds me).
Actually, today I installed the experimental add on called Maemo GeoLocation. It can be found on the web site of the Firefox addons, but not in the addons menu in the actual app. When it is activated, the positioning icon shows up in the status area of the phone. Works fine, so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to bheetebrij For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
I love MicroB and use it most of the time BUT on some vBullletin forums (Version 4.0 or above) the 'edit' 'reply' report post' buttons are all overlapping each other. As I run my-own vB4.0 forum I need to be able to edit, merge,move posts at a moments notice MicroB cant help me if I'm on the move....

Firefox is slower yes but does not have this glitch and allows full editing of all vB 4.0 sites. it's good to have a choice!

I only used MicroB for browsing OVI store. Everything else goes fennec.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
FF is nice but I simple cant handle slow responsiveness of it. Maybe if it becomes faster someday, I will use it; but for now, I am sticking with MB.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Until Flash actually works and is at least as good as in the default browser, I see no reason using Firefox. Uninstalled and will wait for a version that works with Flash content beyond Youtube. Firefox works with nothing else, with the one bonus being no Flash ads as a result. My G1 already offers fast browsing without Flash and plays Youtube vids

Flash 10.1 arrives and all should be good with the N900 and Flash

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-02-27 at 15:06.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton, WI, US
Anyone else catch the html5 enable entry in about:config? *Almost* got a test video to play. (Video started, played a few seconds, then hung)

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Until Flash actually works and is at least as good as in the default browser, I see no reason using Firefox. Uninstalled and will wait for a version that works with Flash content beyond Youtube. Firefox works with nothing else, with the one bonus being no Flash ads as a result.
Why do you keep saying over and over that flash doesn't work with Firefox Mobile? It certainly does work just fine! It's worked for me from the beginning. If it's not working for you then you didn't enable it correctly or something.

Go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ and click on 'Test your Adobe Flash Player installation'. On my N900, using Firefox, the animation plays perfectly and it says I have version 9.0.246.0 installed.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Weave makes a huge difference for me since I use Firefox on both my main computer at home as well as my school laptop. A reality without Weave is not thinkable anymore. I do watch YT clips in MicroB though, flash is a little bit unoptimized in Firefox right now, sadly.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Why do you keep saying over and over that flash doesn't work with Firefox Mobile? It certainly does work just fine! It's worked for me from the beginning. If it's not working for you then you didn't enable it correctly or something.

Go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ and click on 'Test your Adobe Flash Player installation'. On my N900, using Firefox, the animation plays perfectly and it says I have version 9.0.246.0 installed.
We all know flash works on Fennec. Working and being useful are two completely different things. Go to youtube and try watching a video in fennec using that flash player. Then compare that slideshow to the same page in MicroB. "I don't watch many videos" you say? Go to a moderately flash heavy site and try and browse it using fennec. If that doesn't drive the point home, then congratulations! You are the only person on these forums who finds flash performance in fennec acceptable.