Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Yes, I've been following that thread. The things there are still a little above my 'expertise', but I'll definetely try to learn to script -it's probably easier than I think- when I have time. But thank you anyways
Also, that thread and this, they seriously overlap.

Originally Posted by rannari View Post
I have made three symlinks:
- one from /run/user/100000/media/sdcard to /home/nemo to be able to access the sdcard with PC connection
- for music I have a symlink from my music folder in sdcard to /home/nemo/Music
- and a symlink to /home/nemo/Pictures to handle images

Works just fine. No problems.
Card is 64 Gb btrfs-formatted...
Thank you, this worked! Now when you wrote it, it seemed so obvious, I'm amazed I didn't try that before

PS: I've also a 64gb card.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Anyone know how to make music & pictures in a btrfs-formatted microsd to show in Jolla's gallery and media player app? Manually mounting it (/dev/mmcblk1p1) to run/user/100000/media/sdcard doesn't work, so the apps must fetch their data from somewhere else, or there's another problem somewhere.

What does running the following command show?
Code:
gsettings get org.freedesktop.Tracker.Miner.Files index-recursive-directories
(GSettings is the program that reads/writes program settings for programs using the GSettings library, while "get" indicates reading a setting. org.freedesktop.Tracker.Miner.Files is more or less the name of the application, while index-recursive-directories is the name of the key to read).

I think that people are overcomplicating things. Virtually the only thing you have to change to automount btrfs sdcards is to remove the uid=X,gid=X settings from the mount-sd.sh script. This is a much simpler modification that what people are doing over that thread, which is probably the result of a misunderstanding of some kind. Additionally, I suspect this change will come with a future SailfishOS update.

Everything -- including Tracker and thus the Music application -- works afterwards.

Last edited by javispedro; 2014-01-22 at 18:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I think that people are overcomplicating things. Virtually the only thing you have to change to automount btrfs sdcards is to remove the uid=X,gid=X settings from the mount-sd.sh script. This is a much simpler modification that what people are doing over that thread, which is probably the result of a misunderstanding of some kind. Additionally, I suspect this change will come with a future SailfishOS update.

Everything -- including Tracker and thus the Music application -- works afterwards.
I suppose that is what is modified in my mount-sd.sh file in first page (to be confirmed that nothing else differs), and I confirm the Sailfish apps required no additional tweaking to find the files I put on my ext4-formated SD card. I have no symlinks or mounting points (though I initially made one before solving the no-automount issue, it was not permanently set in fstab), and everything in /run/user/100000/media/sdcard/ is found Music/Gallery/etc. apps.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
A quick trick to fool Windows into enabling FAT32 in the GUI is to enable caching on the USB-memory:
  1. Right-click the USB-drive and select "Properties"
  2. Select the "Hardware"-tab
  3. Find and select your USB-memory in the list
  4. Click the "Properties"-button below
  5. Select the "Policies"-tab on the new requester
  6. Choose "Optimize for performance"
  7. Click "OK" on the requesters
This should allow you to use FAT32-formatting on your USB-drive, but don't forget to repeat the process and set it back to "Optimize for quick removal" once you are done formatting!

But remember, FAT32 only allows files up to 4GB in size and can't handle soft-links or permissions. Trasferring files over network and formatting as ext3/4 makes the microSD much more useful.
This trick not worked for me on WIN 7...
Also I have formatted to ext4 on ubuntu, but phone still can't see it...

P.S. Ok successfully formatted to ext4 -> created 2 folders -> inserted to the phone -> trying to see this folders on the phone (file manger), but it not show them, it go to system sdcard..
I did the same with FAT32 and now I really see it on the phone, but when I connect my phone to PC as mass storage, I can't see this card... Why ?

But I can see it on WinSCP via wifi (/run/user/100000/media/sdcard/test777)

Last edited by Schturman; 2014-01-23 at 02:01.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Sorry about the trick not working on Windows 7. I used it on Windows XP, my Windows 7-machine allows me to use FAT32 freely for some reason.

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
I did the same with FAT32 and now I really see it on the phone, but when I connect my phone to PC as mass storage, I can't see this card... Why ?

But I can see it on WinSCP via wifi (/run/user/100000/media/sdcard/test777)
https://together.jolla.com/question/...-mass-storage/

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Ok guys how to mount my btrfs sdxc transcend card?
When i try to mount i get:

Code:
mount -t btrfs /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/btrfs
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mmcblk1p1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so
dmesg:

device label transcend_sdxc64 devid 1 transid 45 /dev/mmcblk1p1
[42734.855389] btrfs: disk space caching is enabled
[42734.855419] BTRFS: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (40).
[42734.919146] btrfs: open_ctree failed
[42736.390289] [BAT] 90( 90, 90.0, 90.1( 89.9) 0.0)v4309(4196)(-530,-544)t313,c -408670, 0(20471)r214,L4350,s10
[42736.396332] [BAT]## SOC= 90( 90, 90),4312(4309),A=-536,T=313,On=0,1,(1),DCP 1100(1100),vd=4400(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[42744.574296] dsme-server(628) send signal 1 to dsme(626)
[42744.574693] dsme-server(628) send signal 1 to dsme(626)
[42756.574907] dsme-server(628) send signal 1 to dsme(626)
btrfs filesystem show /dev/mmcblk1p1:

Label: 'transcend_sdxc64' uuid: 3f9ed2a2-8ce8-499a-9253-ca597a21fdcd
Total devices 1 FS bytes used 15.50GB
devid 1 size 59.03GB used 18.04GB path /dev/mmcblk1p1
May be some format changes on kernel level?
On my home pc i have kernel 3.9.1-gentoo-r1 on jolla is 3.4.0.?
Barnabas Collins

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
First try to make a proper btrfs formatting. There is no need for a p1 (partition).
One great feature of btrfs is that you can create btrfs file systems on unformatted hard drives, i.e., you don't have to use tools like fdisk to make a partition first.
So just use:
Code:
mkfs.btrfs -L mylabel /dev/mmcblk1
and after creating /mnt/btrfs using
Code:
mkdir /mnt/btrfs
you should be able to mount your card just fine.
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk1 /mnt/btrfs
Regards,

J4ZZ

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by J4ZZ View Post
First try to make a proper btrfs formatting. There is no need for a p1 (partition).
Note: there is no need to use a partition, but also, there is no need to NOT use a partition. The Jolla will handle both situations without problem.

Also, this is not a btrfs "feature" at all -- not having a partition table is something that's called superfloppy and is at least decades old.

It is something of a personal preference mostly.

Originally Posted by kollin View Post
On my home pc i have kernel 3.9.1-gentoo-r1 on jolla is 3.4.0.?
Yes, there is your problem. As a simple workaround you may want to format the card on the Jolla itself (with caution not to make any typos or else)

Last edited by javispedro; 2014-01-27 at 03:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
you may want to format the card on the Jolla itself
Is this possible even if Jolla doesn't recognize it?
If so, could you please tell me what I must type?
I'm used to Bash and Linux commands, but I've never formatted anything before, and I want to be sure I don't screw up

Thank you in advance ^^

~Chinoman10.