I just got a N800 used from someone on Craigslist that has the same problem--and clearly the previous owner just hit it harder and harder so it has very fine scratches all over the right scroll bar area. Unfortunately, since I got this one used I doubt if I'm going to be able to send it to Nokia for repair without having to spend an arm and a leg--I strongly suspect it's out of warrantee...

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I'm also have this problem with the right side and mine is bought on June the 7th. Sending it back for repair is something I'm not going to do at this point because it seems the chance is really high getting the same problem again even if they would replace the screen.

I thought mine wouldn't have this problem because the box had two Nokia seals on it and the down one was broken. I was hoping that Nokia opened it to upgrade the unit for this problem but unfortunately I was wrong. Still makes me wonder why they opened the box.
Sounds like a refurbished/used one, Diablo.

Over je dode zone: je had dit forum eerst moeten bekijken. Bijna iedereen heeft er last van.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by bedii View Post
I just got a N800 used from someone on Craigslist that has the same problem--and clearly the previous owner just hit it harder and harder so it has very fine scratches all over the right scroll bar area. Unfortunately, since I got this one used I doubt if I'm going to be able to send it to Nokia for repair without having to spend an arm and a leg--I strongly suspect it's out of warrantee...
Warranty should be at least a year (could be longer in some countries, and possibly shorter in others but that would be criminal...) and as long as Nokia don't ask for proof of purchase (they didn't for my repair in the UK) you should still be covered by the original warranty. N800s were only released on 8 January 2007 so you should still have plenty of time left assuming you have a 1 year warranty in the US (I assume you have at least that). Just contact Nokia Support.

Also check whether the original owner removed the plastic cover that is used to protect the LCD during shipping - with a bit of luck it's the plastic screen protector that is now scratched and not the screen itself.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
Sounds like a refurbished/used one, Diablo.

Over je dode zone: je had dit forum eerst moeten bekijken. Bijna iedereen heeft er last van.

I know almost everyone has got this problem and that's the reason I'm not going to send it back.

I can't imagin that my unit would be a refurbished one because I bought it in the official Nokia shop online. They opened it for some reason but I will never find out what that reason was. One thing that could have to do with it is that for some reason all stores were sold out and waiting for the n800 to arrive for like four weeks. That's the reason I bought it online in the official nokia store. So it could be that the stores were waiting for restock because nokia had to upgrade something in the device or in the box even.

Hi,

I am the unhappy owner of N770 (widget7), which gradually loses sensitivity. The first problem I experienced was the small spot at the center of menu button (2x2mm). The problem occurred 7 months. Being the software engineer, at first I thought the problem was caused by the faulty theme was installed just before I've noticed the problem. Later, after re-flashing I figured it is a hardware issue.

The problem didn't get worse, until this week (one year and 5 months). I've found out that there is a huge area, with reduced sensitivity on the right-lower part of the screen. This makes it almost impossible to use handwriting recognition. The area is still responsible to finger pressures(I can't see the difference compared to other areas). Applying stronger pressure on the affected area causes touchscreen to respond. Off course, this is not the lasting solution.

Today, I've decided to seek information on N800(widget8) issues with the idea to replace my N770(widget7) with it. Sadly, I've discovered the poll which indicated that at least 50% of people are having problems. The statistical sample was fairly large (at least 100 devices).

Also I've read about the latest firmware which supposedly fixes the problem. Frankly, I think company N is throwing sand in the eyes of the customers. I can accept that some devices may require calibration, but in this case the N company is just delaying the inevitable. Many users will experience the problem, flash the firmware, and continue happily to use device, until the problem reappears. Furthermore what is the point in replacing the faulty parts, since the problem can reoccur. I expect that at least 1/3 of the replaced devices, will suffer the problem again in six months.

My conclusion:
  • I've decided to continue using N770 until it dies.
  • I really hoped for these devices to be successful but... I will not purchase any other internet tablet from company N for following reasons:
    • The N company has repeated the same mistake twice in a row, failing to correct known hardware issue. Even worse, they are trying to postpone problem until the device run out of warranty! I know, heavy accusation, but I am afraid completely correct - I don't blame Nokia engineers for this, given the difficulties, they produced excellent proof of concept product - N770. Unfortunately N800 should have been much more than the proof of concept, instead it seem like a catastrophe.
    • The N company did sell devices advertising features (VoiP), which were unavailable at the moment (with constant postponing, and buzzing from the bloggers, who actually provided excellent mouth-to-mouth-marketing coverage). From my point of view you don't just sell to the client something which exists only in the brochures. Maybe next time I should offer company N to pay only half of the price, until they actually finish the product?
    • The N company has dropped support for N770, after one year since it was introduced.
  • Instead of widget8 from company N, I will probably purchase product FFFFF from company PPPP (yap, there is such product!). They seem to be very experienced with touchscreens, and have better quality in terms of quality of hardware, software and support.
  • It is my opinion that Nokia should extend warranty period for the owners of both N770 and N800. Recently, I've read that Micro$oft had to extend warranty periods for XBox 360, possible because of the lawsuits.
  • I strongly suggest all future widgetX buyers (the ones to replace faulty N770/N800) to patiently wait until possible issues are discovered.

Question: Are there any Bloggers to openly discuss the problems?(aside from the onces affiliated with company N).

Best luck to all of widget7 and widget8, may the screens survive!

The new firmware, totally fixes the touchscreen for me.I had a scollbar dead spot but now its like new, totally sensitive everywhere. JuSt like new. HoPe this helps. I Was reconsidering about exchanging, but now It is fixed and extremely happy.
cobra.

Yepp, the new firmware fixes this 100% and improves overall sensitivity of the screen everywhere.