i was doing the update and the electric went off,and it didnt complete the update,now it wont recognize,no clues what to do?did you repair yours kooresh?

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
My phone has that same sim card problem as well. It will display a small picture of a sim card with a red slash across next to the battery icon. When it used to do it, it would be several times a day but then it would re-register automatically and get back online with T-Mobile. So I didn't really let it bother me too much since it would always be back online within a few minutes.

Now it's been happening a lot more and it never comes back online anymore. I'm always having to power off my device and power it back on in order to have the sim card work properly and NOW this is really starting to piss me off!

Sometimes the power on even fails where it doesn't reach that screen with the two holding hands and just shuts off again while it was on the startup screen with the 4 scrolling dots. This is the point where only a battery pull will work and THAT is starting to piss me off as well.

I never bothered to research on doing a flash cos I never needed to but now I'm thinking it's inevitable. My wife's N900 works flawlessly (knock on wood). If I do a flash, will I have to setup all of my contacts and merge them into conversations app and everything? Gee I'm hoping the firmware update that's coming out soon will rectify this problem.

N900 Problem: SIM Card Not Recognized

thats what she said.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ bay area, ca
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
My phone has that same sim card problem as well. It will display a small picture of a sim card with a red slash across next to the battery icon. When it used to do it, it would be several times a day but then it would re-register automatically and get back online with T-Mobile. So I didn't really let it bother me too much since it would always be back online within a few minutes.

Now it's been happening a lot more and it never comes back online anymore. I'm always having to power off my device and power it back on in order to have the sim card work properly and NOW this is really starting to piss me off!

Sometimes the power on even fails where it doesn't reach that screen with the two holding hands and just shuts off again while it was on the startup screen with the 4 scrolling dots. This is the point where only a battery pull will work and THAT is starting to piss me off as well.

I never bothered to research on doing a flash cos I never needed to but now I'm thinking it's inevitable. My wife's N900 works flawlessly (knock on wood). If I do a flash, will I have to setup all of my contacts and merge them into conversations app and everything? Gee I'm hoping the firmware update that's coming out soon will rectify this problem.
I have the exact same problem, which I posted in a separate thread some time ago. The general consensus was that my SIM was faulty, so about a month ago, I got a new one. Worked nicely for a few days, but then I started having the same problem on and off, moreso within the last 2 weeks.

My data also rarely works, though T-mo customer service said that might just be an issue associated with the new SIM activation? Additionally, I have issues charging from all types of sources (battery indicator and charging light comes on, but after a few seconds, it stops charging and I need to keep pulling the battery until it decides to charge for real). I do have the same power on issue that you have.

A reflashing might fix these problems, but I'm too lazy, so I'm waiting for the new firmware to come out first. :P

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
Originally Posted by hanh View Post
I have the exact same problem, which I posted in a separate thread some time ago. The general consensus was that my SIM was faulty, so about a month ago, I got a new one. Worked nicely for a few days, but then I started having the same problem on and off, moreso within the last 2 weeks.

My data also rarely works, though T-mo customer service said that might just be an issue associated with the new SIM activation? Additionally, I have issues charging from all types of sources (battery indicator and charging light comes on, but after a few seconds, it stops charging and I need to keep pulling the battery until it decides to charge for real). I do have the same power on issue that you have.

A reflashing might fix these problems, but I'm too lazy, so I'm waiting for the new firmware to come out first. :P
Ha! You and I are going through the exact same thing! I'm too lazy to flash mine as well cos I'm sure I will have to customize everything all over again. And yes my data also rarely works as well going on and off every few minutes. I have a new sim card at home that came in the box of a Touch Pro 2 I purchased a while ago and was thinking of using that one but since you said your problem returned, I don't think it's the sim card. Besides, the sim that's in my phone right now was purchased back in September so it's only 4 months old. That right there tells me it's not the sim.

I just think like many others on the forum, we have faulty N900's and I can't wait any longer for that firmware update to be released! I'm not looking for extra goodies, I just want all these bugs to be rectified once and for all.

hey guys

guess what im same boat.
Got my n900 last week. and it cant recognize my sim card.
im using a pay as you go sm card with CBB. danish provider which is under telenor.

i have been researching around with this sim card errors, and i found out that the problem is with new sim cards.
the chip design is different from the old ones.

and i have tried with the old design of same provider, ( my fathers sim card) and that worked fine in my n900.

i called my provider and they can only provide the new designed chip.

so i really hope nokia comes with an update very soon, coz i cant use this phone for jack now.

i took a pic of the 2 different chipset design i have.

the left one is the new design which doesnt work, the right one is the old design which works

http://tinypic.com/r/16gzwpu/6

regards

Sonic

i have got the same problem with my nokia n900 and the sim card. after the update-which went horribly wrong- i cant do anything. only the wifi works. i downloaded the flasher thingy but i dont know how to use it. please please if somebody who knows how to use it, please make a video and post it on youtube. please. i really love this phone and i dont want to see it go to waste. i am pretty sure a lot of other people have the same problem as me and vvvrussianvvv but dont know how to fix their n900. please make a video. Also i am using win7 64 bit but i tried doing it on a XP. the problem was i dont know how to use the flasher.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Have you read the instuctions on http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware? I'd recommend actually using a bootable Linux CD instead of Windows - I couldn't get the flasher to work under XP either, but it worked first time under Linux.

yes i have read the instructions but i dont know how to do the linux thing. ive got a 500 gn external hard drive i could use instead of a cd. would that work? and is it easy to boot with linux or will i have to sit around for hours finding and installing drivers? because i need to fix the phone asap.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
A CD is usually easier, as most systems are set to boot from CD - something like Knoppix should work fine. There'll be no need to download drivers - everything you need should be included by default.

If you've never used Linux then it might be better to retry under XP first though. Make sure your N900 battery is fully charged first as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, not recognized, problem, sim, sim card, sim problem