Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
I didn't think that the application would make a difference to the speed the GPS receiver locks on, but I would be interested if it could make a difference because on the last couple of occasions I've used AGTL I have had to wait quite a while for the GPS to lock on even though I have had network connection enabled.

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) uses GPRS to find out the location from the closest mobile cell towers and information of relative satellite positions to enable the GPS unit to lock on quickly. If the GPS receiver has not moved far it kind of remembers its last location and can lock on pretty quickly without assistance, but if the GPS receiver is moved to a new location it will wait until it has a clear signal before it locks on.

Originally Posted by webhamster View Post
Hi!

AGTL only relies on the built in GPS receiver routines, it doesn't send or receive any gps related stuff. It is correct that the phone uses AGPS to get a faster fix (see this forum or google for mor information). This is why there's data send and received.

As OVI maps uses the same routines, it is unlikely that starting it will speed up signal acquisition for AGTL. On the other hand, OVI Maps can sometimes display a fix when AGTL doesn't. This is because AGTL is pickier about the quality of the fix. The first fix is always a very rough estimate of the position based on the current cell tower. As this is useless for geocaching, AGTL filters those fixes out.

I hope this clarifies the situation a bit :-)
Yes it does, a lot.

Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by spoonbuddy View Post
I didn't think that the application would make a difference to the speed the GPS receiver locks on, but I would be interested if it could make a difference because on the last couple of occasions I've used AGTL I have had to wait quite a while for the GPS to lock on even though I have had network connection enabled.

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) uses GPRS to find out the location from the closest mobile cell towers and information of relative satellite positions to enable the GPS unit to lock on quickly. If the GPS receiver has not moved far it kind of remembers its last location and can lock on pretty quickly without assistance, but if the GPS receiver is moved to a new location it will wait until it has a clear signal before it locks on.
The reply above yours is very helpful.

I did find Ovi helpful with no data connection. As webhamster says, it seems to find a rough fix faster, before a decent fix. The rough fix (I assume) seemed to act as a catalyst to get a decent fix.

Once Ovi was happy, I started AGTL, which found it's fix straight away then, then killed Ovi, and I was in business.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
Is there a way to share the openstreet map data between different applications? Eg Cloudgps.

I have been searching for a Map application which does not require wifi or 3G connection as downloading data is expensive. Besides, none of the Maps is accurate in my area for me. OVI the worst, it always show my position several to tenth of kilometers from where I am. Mappero and Maep are better but I have to be in a very opened site.

Last night, I browsed the Application Manager and read the description of this AGTL that supports off-line navigation. I downloaded it and tried. For the 1st time, the GPS positioning accurately showed me where I was (at home) but not tenths of km. away in the sea. Except one thing, the arrow of the compass was pointing approx. South instead of North.

This morning when I was riding bus to work, I tried it again. Once I got the GPS locked, I turned off the 3G. The spot showing my position was moving accurately on the off-line map as the bus was moving. However, the arrow of the compass did not point correctly, it kept turning and pointing wrong direction. I suppose it has something to do the GPS of N900.

Thank you for creating this great application.

One question, your application mentions that it supports other maps like Google Map. How can I add Google Map?

TC

I have been searching for a Map application which does not require wifi or 3G connection as downloading data is expensive. Besides, none of the Maps is accurate in my area for me. OVI the worst, it always show my position several to tenth of kilometers from where I am. Mappero and Maep are better but I have to be in a very opened site.

Last night, I browsed the Application Manager and read the description of this AGTL that supports off-line navigation. I downloaded it and tried. For the 1st time, the GPS positioning accurately showed me where I was (at home) but not tenths of km. away in the sea. Except one thing, the arrow of the compass was pointing approx. South instead of North.

This morning when I was riding bus to work, I tried it again. Once I got the GPS locked, I turned off the 3G. The spot showing my position was moving accurately on the off-line map as the bus was moving. However, the arrow of the compass did not point correctly, it kept turning and pointing wrong direction. I suppose it has something to do the GPS of N900.

Thank you for creating this great application.

One question, your application mentions that it supports other maps like Google Map. How can I add Google Map?

TC

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
The arrow isn't a compass, it is pointing towards the cache that is chosen as target.

/oxpo

Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
The arrow isn't a compass, it is pointing towards the cache that is chosen as target.

/oxpo
I am not talking about the arrow in the map. There is a compass in the GPS page.

TC

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
There is no hardware compass in the N900 so it uses the GPS and your direction of travel to estimate which way is north. On the compass within AGTL you will see a little sun graphic on the compass, this is also a way to align north but can be a little eratic.

hello guys, i need some help with AGTL. It was running fine for months and since some days i get trouble when i try downloading cachelokation data or cachedetails. errormessage: could not load map of geocaches

in debug.log there are repeated entrys shown like this:

ERROR root Could not load map of geocaches
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/advancedcaching/cachedownloader.py", line 270, in _get_overview
raise Exception('Could not load map of geocaches')
Exception: Could not load map of geocaches
Exception in thread Thread-14 (most likely raised during interpreter shutdown):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/threading.py", line 486, in __bootstrap_inner
File "/opt/advancedcaching/threadpool.py", line 148, in run
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Empty'
Exception in thread Thread-3 (most likely raised during interpreter shutdown):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/threading.py", line 486, in __bootstrap_inner
File "/opt/advancedcaching/threadpool.py", line 148, in run
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Empty'
Exception in thread Thread-15 (most likely raised during interpreter shutdown):...
looks to me like python problem? things i have done so far:
-reinstalled agtl (no change in behaviour)

anybody experienced this problem?

Last edited by zement; 2010-11-11 at 15:39.