Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Maemo was probably 80% complete of a modern smartphone OS, but at a board level Nokia probably realised that they could never complete that last 20%...
accurate assessment and sadly true of many OSS developments. (only need to look at sourceforge).
Nokia is clearly still committed to Meego both in-house and at the core level, however, given that Elop has axed the R&D budget to pay for WP licensing, I'm concerned that this dipping in the research bucket will become a trend every time Elop needs more cash to prop up his "plans"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
I think the concept and value of ecosystem is not understood - at all around here. Android is open source, everyone can slam Android onto their phone/tablet, but the Google ecosystem is tightly controlled by Google. MeeGo is only a (hardly) working OS, but there is no MeeGo ecosystem. For that reason alone MeeGo is dead for Nokia.

WP is an OS and Nokia produces the hardware. This will be a great system, but the really big thing is the ecosystem. Next year Nokia will start selling tablets and other mobile devices running Windows 8, they will be tied in to the same ecosystem, the same ecosystem as billions of PCs.

I see a great future for this ecosystem

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I think the concept and value of ecosystem is not understood - at all around here. Android is open source, everyone can slam Android onto their phone/tablet, but the Google ecosystem is tightly controlled by Google. MeeGo is only a (hardly) working OS, but there is no MeeGo ecosystem. For that reason alone MeeGo is dead for Nokia.

WP is an OS and Nokia produces the hardware. This will be a great system, but the really big thing is the ecosystem. Next year Nokia will start selling tablets and other mobile devices running Windows 8, they will be tied in to the same ecosystem, the same ecosystem as billions of PCs.

I see a great future for this ecosystem
Regurgitating yesterday's AAS podcast are we? If people could start thinking for themselves for a change, they would realise that this 'ecosystem' lark is simply a euphemism for locking consumers in to proprietary solutions. Nothing new here. Marketing guys and CEOs have been selling us snake oil for decades.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Regurgitating yesterday's AAS podcast are we? If people could start thinking for themselves for a change, they would realise that this 'ecosystem' lark is simply a euphemism for locking consumers in to proprietary solutions. Nothing new here. Marketing guys and CEOs have been selling us snake oil for decades.
Over at AAS at least some people are thinking instead of crying like babies day after day after day after day because Elop has dropped their little toy.

Of course proprietary ecosystems will lock consumers into proprietary solutions, that goes without saying. But MS/Nokia will be much more open than Apple and much less intrusive to your privacy than Google. Besides, both Nokia and MS earns heaps of money from the other ecosystems.

Trust me, Nokia/MS will be great The news today regarding patents removed every little bit of doubt. There is no way Nokia/MS will fail.

Trust me, Nokia/MS will be great The news today regarding patents removed every little bit of doubt. There is no way Nokia/MS will fail.
Praise Elop, god's only son and prophet of ze ecosystem. 72 virgins in paradise if you believe in ze ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
MS will be dead in 2014:
http://madhatter.ca/2011/02/17/micro...arter-numbers/
and
http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.601.3
not to forget:
http://madhatter.ca/2011/03/04/micro...h-tablet-wars/
and
http://madhatter.ca/2011/03/06/micro...ars-part-deux/

RIP. I'm not going to miss you

Last edited by lohner; 2011-06-14 at 14:31. Reason: added a link

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Does this site have Moderators? If so how has this thread gotten this far?

Last edited by lorul2; 2011-06-14 at 15:23.

Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
Does this site have Moderators? If so how has this thred otten this far?
Because the question in the thread's title has been answered long ago.

Talk, talk, talk. If MeeGo is such a blast, then why does it look and feel (und run just as buggy and slow) as it did 1 year ago?. Bugs are fixed, features are added, so what?
Please, don't let your hatred of Linux and MeeGo lead you into blatant lies. MeeGo is much improved beyond the state it was in a year ago (it didn't even have a GUI in June of 2010.) Not bad considering that its requirements do outstrip (slightly) the capabilities of the N900.

The point is (and this was/is Nokias night mare), it takes too long.
No, it would take time and they knew it, so they went on developing Harmattan and worked to have the same APIs across both platforms, with the goal of migrating off the Maemo base and on to the MeeGo base down the line. Of course, internal bureaucracy and Elop's plans tossed it all out the window.

I think the concept and value of ecosystem is not understood - at all around here.
Here's the cold hard truth about the modern concept of a "software ecosystem": It's not about providing for your users, it's about locking them into your platform and making it as hard as possible to get away. Long ago, this would have been considered tying, and lead to corporate breakups.

Android is open source, everyone can slam Android onto their phone/tablet, but the Google ecosystem is tightly controlled by Google.
No it's not. Google barely applies controls even to the official software channels and it's making them look bad.

MeeGo is only a (hardly) working OS, but there is no MeeGo ecosystem. For that reason alone MeeGo is dead for Nokia.
Nokia, before Harmattan was thrown under a bus, was ready to develop that "ecosystem."

Being trapped in Microsoft's world isn't my idea of fun, especially since Microsoft wants the same level of control over these devices that Apple has over the iPhone. That's one hell of a step down from the N900, which gave me total control. But hey, it's all about catering to the lowest common denominator and corporate control these days, not about the end user and empowering them.

Of course proprietary ecosystems will lock consumers into proprietary solutions, that goes without saying.
Which is bad in every way, shape and form. But hey, let's go cheering it on while the tech market is carved up into a slew of incompatible, proprietary platforms that make it impossible to get anything done (for the sake of corporate profits.)

But MS/Nokia will be much more open than Apple and much less intrusive to your privacy than Google.
If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Great, yes, if you like to be told what to do and how to do it.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-06-14 at 14:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Ericsson is the most lucid of ya all on this board. Pessimism gets you nowhere. Elop has done what they hired him to do, and he will do a good job to stem the destruction.

The minority of geeks here need to understand that products are directed towards MAJORITY, not MINORITY of consumers. You should be lucky for NOKIA to support this forum and dish out few geek devices here and there. No other company does it.

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, erics the idiot, goodbye nokia, nok+ms rox more, nokia's dead, oh so dead, so dead