Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
As long as patent troll companies sue each other over who invented the round or square edge and users continue to amazed and entertained by their yearly 1mm thinner candybar phone upgrade there is no economic place for the keyboard phone to be made by a small player that has global commercial ambitions such as Jolla.

This weekend I tried the Blackberry Pasport in a store.
Actually I did not have much time alone with it as the seller was like a spider in a web onto everyone touching it, eager and genuinely enthusiastic to show off his personal passport setup after 2 weeks of using it as his primary. Funny he was congratulating me touching the greatest device in the whole store (large FNAC in France) and the colleages seemed to agree.
I entertained him with many many questions (one more rhetorical than the other) and finally got asked for the picture as proof of activity on Blackberry sales efforts.

The device looked not to big at all, actually a little less nice in finish then I had imagined but still good and of course the keyboard is a true relief being it for typing or for smart scrolling and activating windows.
Camera seemed lacking macro option but the focus went really close and thanks to the large screen it is very convenient to touch move the focal point around.
Selecting files for sending via email, wifi, BT etc seemed to work as expected.
For the business types opening an spreedsheet was pure joy to the eye.
Browsing looked good indeed and there is a reader function like in Firefox.

But on the other hand it quickly looked like starting all over again: cookies options, quickly and selective anabling of javascript / flash options, it all looks so limited.. compared to even MicroB.
Where's the call recorder (gave some MP3 downloader Android based, no thanks) built in SIP,.. when I notice the seller selecting text with a magnifying glass option and taking his time my evil side took overhand and I told hime that's to slow man, pulled my N900 and showed him a how text is selected desktop style cursor followed ctrl+v, ctrl+c on my 2 times smaller by todays standard cute, little device.
From the looks of N900's open windows and smooth operation I don't think in that shop anybody could tell its 256MB and 600Mhz age.

A little nerd battle a day keeps the doctor away.

It was clear one of us had no prior notion of the existence of the other , favorite device.

I am sure the Passport is great if you want to get stuff done (business style) and one of the best options if you can't stand sacrificing 1/3rd of your glorious big screen for online typing most of the time But for me personally throwing principles that make me support Jolla and paying 600 to start all over again 2 steps forward one step back..
No thanks, I 'll just wait and see.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...y-futurefon--3

Fishy...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
what happened with motorola's next droid? there were even pictures floating around. lauta?

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
what happened with motorola's next droid? there were even pictures floating around. lauta?
It lost its keyboard somewhere between the images and release

No but there is still rumours of droid 5 with qwerty but it's...classified.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-27 at 21:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
This weekend I tried the Blackberry Pasport in a store....
when I notice the seller selecting text with a magnifying glass option and taking his time my evil side took overhand and I told hime that's to slow man, pulled my N900 and showed him a how text is selected desktop style cursor followed ctrl+v, ctrl+c on my 2 times smaller by todays standard cute, little device.
I don't know all you were shown, but the text selection on the Passport is awesome. Maemo's is good too. But BlackBerry 10 has no limitations. And you should see text selection when editing a document. You can use the touch sensitive keyboard in an interesting way.
And no macro for the camera? It focuses very close and knows when macro is needed.
The Passport is not very everyone. But it's a great device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
It lost its keyboard somewhere between the images and release

No but there is still rumours of droid 5 with qwerty but it's...classified.
You and your obamaquotes.jpg :P
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2655

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Yes, BlackBerry Passport looks great. Unique. One but: can I boot anything open-source on it? Nemo Mobile, or something? Even if it will be not working for most parts of it... It would be a joy to show off, five years later, old BlackBerry Passport device, with open-source operating system, to those who will use thin-ish, bendable phones.

Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
BlackBerry Passport:
looks like something to warn the toddlers to stay away from,
With corners like that you could use it hand-to-hand combat:
With an OS like that,
not something I will ever buy.
As far as keyboards go,
anticipate something new besides a slab of buttons
or a waste of perfectly good (and expensive) pixels.
Somebody will eventually build a new way of input
It just makes little sense at all to retask
valuable Visual display real estate
-in favor of-
mechanical input (cheap) territory

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2014-11-28 at 10:36. Reason: incomplete

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
And it''s android.
On Android phone you will be able to install Sailfish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
[QUOTE=theonelaw;1449654]
As far as keyboards go,
anticipate something new besides a slab of buttons
or a waste of perfectly good (and expensive) pixels.
/QUOTE]

Yes I follow you, I already decided not to want / purchase any car untill something new arrives... Waiting 20 years..

Until that day, I 'd put my money on a HW keyboard.

The pixels are still a cheap solution to omit real hardware input design, and it seems they are now adding a second pixel plate to function as keyboard, screen whatever..

http://www.techshout.com/mobile-phon...ys-whats-next/

It's going to get worse before it gets better

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
androidocalypse