Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
again, I don't see this happening on MTK based devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Current list of Sony "Open Devices" is at https://developer.sonymobile.com/ope...and-resources/ btw

edit: note no Mediatek devices. Qualcomm only.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
So one thing I'm confused about (and I'm not that technically minded, so this might be a stupid question).

Are they going to be using libhybris to do this? Seems to me if they've got an agreement with a manufacturer the size of Sony, they might be able to get licenses to develop / use native drivers, which presumably would improve performance and reduce complexity. I can't imagine they'd do that in one step, but it seems like an interesting possibility for the future if all goes well.

I don't know how much work goes into developing drivers, though I'm sure it's a lot. But if people manage to reverse engineer them *without* any of the technical specifications, presumably it isn't out of the question for a collaboration between Sony and Jolla...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
SONY doesn't manufacture SOC's so there's nothing there.
Jolla can't develop drivers for something that it does not make also.
RE drivers in commercial products and in mobile bussines is highly unlikely also.
So. libhybris..... because there's no native drivers since non of the SOC manufacturers (Qualcomm, MTK, Samsung, Huawei and now Xiaomi) is going to make one for Sailfish. At least not ATM, we can just hope for brighter future.
Even the non SOC ARM vendors are not exactly known as great for FOSS and linux support.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I realise they don't manufacture many of the components, I was more thinking having the right license arrangements to develop drivers for them - as I understand it, half the battle is having access to the technical specifications, and the right to publish an open driver using that knowledge. They do run AOSP, after all, though with some blobs involved too.

I suppose it isn't an entirely all-or-nothing thing anyway, and Jolla can move drivers over to the native side as and when they can and it helps - I can't imagine the libhybris layer sits between the OS and literally the entire hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
I think that it is all or nothing. SONY also gets those android drives for android phones from manufacturers. And since qualcomm and SONY support OSS you get sources for some devices. But also, SONY can be a real pain in the ***. Their long awaited MM update for their Android TVs isn't exactly something that looks like it was in development for more than a year and tested before release. And they use MTK which doesnt help since MTK doesn't exactly follow google APIs.

edit: typos

Last edited by kinggo; 2017-02-28 at 22:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
I don't know if he says so but in the previous video I've seen a guy said that Play Store and Android apps support is not installed but it is possible and future Xperias will indeed have Android app support.
Someone on TJC wrote the following:
Originally Posted by cg
I've just been at the Jolla MWC booth and was told that alien dalvik will be included.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
So does someone know if we now have to:

1. buy Sony from anywhere and later flash SailfishOS by our self's
https://developer.sonymobile.com/ope...es/flash-tool/

or

2. Wait until Jolla starts selling Jolla Community - Sony Xperia X with SailfishOS

?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Have same question.
Can we flash later SF on every Xperia X?
All Xperia X are open device or also exist Xperia X with close Bootloader?
So if exist the risk that a buy an Xperia X normal and after than i realize that i cant flash SF on it?

The Following User Says Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Current list of Sony "Open Devices" is at https://developer.sonymobile.com/ope...and-resources/ btw

edit: note no Mediatek devices. Qualcomm only.
Quite a few devices there actually

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x