Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
FURTHER urging the need to ask, "Why differentiate? What, really, is the difference between a series of 1's and 0's on a desktop computer, a laptop, a tablet or a mobile device or anything else for that matter?" The people running Hulu (or forcing their hand, or both) appear to be myopic technology Luddites or idiots.
Why would you expect them to be any different than the people running the cable companies, the telephone companies, the music companies, or the movie companies?

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
How does it handle hulu.com? Is it sluggish (e.g., Could use it, but painful &/or requires great patience) or slick (e.g., Could use ira. progher otndt on a regular basis without pulling out hair)?

How about medici.tv (sorry, I'm a classical music fan)?

How about Google Docs -- can you see yourself viewing, editing & creating content on a semi-regular basis without gnashing of teeth?
Ignoring your other questions because I just don't know yet, I think I can answer the Google Docs one. As a professional editor, I can see myself manipulating text a lot as long as I had the keyboard and wasn't doing a lot of word copying and pasting from other programs. Maybe my opinion will change, but right now I don't experience the snappy copy and pasting I even get on my N900 between FBReader and HiveMind and other programs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Clap-clap! Done!
Already use MoboPlayer. It no play the *.divx files.

Correction: It will not autoplay them, nor add them to the playlist, but they will play (not well though)

2nd Correction: You've gotta be ****ing kidding me. Adding it to the filetypes that MoboPlayer should scan for will allow it to be added to the playlist finally.

Still grainy as hell as compared to my (dare I say it) iPad. But hell... it works... sorta.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-05-04 at 02:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Already use MoboPlayer. It no play the *.divx files.

Correction: It will not autoplay them, nor add them to the playlist, but they will play (not well though)

2nd Correction: You've gotta be ****ing kidding me. Adding it to the filetypes that MoboPlayer should scan for will allow it to be added to the playlist finally.

Still grainy as hell as compared to my (dare I say it) iPad. But hell... it works... sorta.
Have you tried downloading MoboPlayer Codec ARMV7VFP3 for your Motorola Xoom? It might improve things, from what I'm reading.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I am returning my EEE Pad Transformer to Amazon today. despite all the hours I spent on charging, I never got it above 40 percent. There was either something wrong with it or with me, and I don't care which.

Also, I never got copying and pasting to work efficiently. On my N900 I have it down really well. I mark something in FBReader then Ctrl C copies it. I hit Ctrl Bksp and then pick the window I'm copying to and Ctrl V puts it somewhere.

On the Transformer I never figured out how to copy and paste at all from Kindle for Android. (Photos from Kindle books were a million times nicer than on the Kindle, which didn't surprise me.)

Overall, I was disillusioned with my Android-fling.
Maybe I'll think again about the Color Nook or about an IdeaPad or something. I didn't miss multitasking much. I don't know...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Wow, now you've got me interested about the copy and paste thing. The articles I Googled were actually heralding Honeycomb's copy and paste as being an improvement over Gingerbread.

From Techcrunch:

Things are much better in Honeycomb: when you highlight text, the Action Bar changes from its current options to let you Cut, Copy, Paste, or Select All..
But maybe that doesn't work in the Kindle app. About the Kindle app specifically, pre-Honeycomb:

1. Begin to highlight the sentence(s) you want to reference in your note by pressing down the 5-way button where you want to begin the copy.

2. 5-way down, and at the last line to be excerpted, 5-way right, to the end of the referenced passage. Do NOT press the 5-way button down to end the highlight.

3. Instead, press the space bar. That'll bring up a search field.

4. Your now-highlighted passage is pasted into the search bar.

5. 5-way to the right, through several options, until you reach "note"

6. Press down the 5-way button on that, and you'll see the passage entered automatically into a Note box. You can now add to that Note by typing an entry.
What could be easier?

A more recent article talks about using the "Your Highlights" feature:
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...hlights_b22950

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@geneven

I use moon+ reader, it supports multiple formats. Very easy, long tap on a word, the word is highlighted, little bars on either end (to move and highlight more), tap on copy from the pop'd up menu. Change to where-ever I want to paste, long tap, and paste.

Granted this is android 2.2 froyo. Also on my Huawei S7 tablet, the bar at the top has a button to bring up open tasks, making it very easy to switch between tasks. On my Vibrant, long tap on the home key brings up a similar menu.

Don't judge the whole based on one flakey app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Yes, thanks for the comments. After failing to get the thing charged for so long I had a violent revulsion to the whole thing that I knew wasn't fair...

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The disadvantage of having to plug the device in to charge it is particularly noticeable with the EEE Pad Transformer, since its electrical cord is a) proprietary and b) short. The docs (which are incredibly brief and don't cover things I would like to know, like how I know it's chargingJ say you need to charge the battery for 8 hours when you first get it, and I think that might be an underestimate. The shortness of the charging cord means if you want to play with it while it is charging, you are forced to stay awkwardly close to the outlet. The proprietary nature of the charging means you can't replace the cord with a longer one.

Most of the videos I've seen so far pay almost no attention to charging, because they have the keyboard, which is not yet available in the US the last I heard (and I don't have a spare $150 at the moment). It appears that the keyboard will solve most charging problems.
To extend the cord get an USB 3.0 cable as it has extra pins and those pins are used to charge at a higher voltage. It will charge with the USB 2.0... But, VERY SLOWLY.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Have you tried downloading MoboPlayer Codec ARMV7VFP3 for your Motorola Xoom? It might improve things, from what I'm reading.
It is forced to download upon install, so I have the proper version of the codecs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
decepticons, transformer, want one