Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
512MB would allow to move some currently optified libs (e.g. qt) to NAND wchich would be great... 1GB stated on n900.org would be a dream as even more stuff could be deoptified. Obviously the more the better, e.g. 4GB (probably impossible keeping the price reasonable or due to technical reasons?) would a) gives us ability to forget about /opt on EMMC in Fremantle and move its contents fully to NAND (which has its downsides - /home on NAND could damage it after few years of usage); b) would allow flashing of bigger linux distributions (backtrack fully in NAND, anyone?).

I for example would want 1GB or more, but I could accept 512MB without nagging. If it was even more, I would be happy as a little girl
In case someone is not aware - you'll be able to install OS on eMMC (or microSD) entirely, you don't have to use NAND at all. With some 64GB or even 128GB variants there should be enough space for complete system.

It may or may not be possible with Fremantle, though (but with enough hacking is should be possible after all)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
That's pretty simple but hard to explain, and I'm a poor sketchdrawer. Think of a 2mm plastic layer on top of kbd half, like an extended kbd frame that's flush with *outer* surface of the case shell rather than inner surface. On the bright side: Nikolaus joked "we can get *everything* then, even Geiger counter "
I understand from IRC logs that this would be to fit a 4G modem in. 4G is one of the really important features from my POV. However, how much more difficult would this make things for those of us who want to upgade one of our own devices?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Just curious especially since I have never even held one, how compatible are the connectors in the larger N810 LCD and keyboard, is there a 0% possibility of mounting a Neo900 board onto an adapter and installing into an older Maemo N-series tablet?
THAT would be great....Asked the same essentially back in post #273...OMG I always loved the screen real estate and the keyboard keys size...freakin goldilocks...both are not too big nor too small....the freerunner used the same company brand ...Toppoly...it was a 2.8 whereas the nokia n8x0 used the 4.3...diff connectors tho compared to n900.... One of the biggest probs...even if functionality were achieved would be ALL the metal casing impeding phone function...I imagine a workaround of some sort may be possible externally...or replacing the back with plastic....the resistive n900 lcd is different from the n8x0 line in many respects I'm sure ..so not sure what challenges lie there...not read-up on the specifics tho.....

Stillll...Would be grand if it could work...hmm...but I'm deviating...I'll be content with a functioning neo900 in my hands ...after that....well.... who knows the adaptations that may come on the heels from this new n900 successor?

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-10-11 at 18:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
I understand from IRC logs that this would be to fit a 4G modem in. 4G is one of the really important features from my POV. However, how much more difficult would this make things for those of us who want to upgade one of our own devices?
Yes, the modem is too large to fit into an unaltered N900 without dirty tricks that have impact on reliability etc, also need nasty changes like microSIM or moving SIM to another place and cut holes to the case.

There is not much difference for DIY board swap, the GTA04-NeoN simply ships with the new kbd frame that mounts between kbd half and display. Fixed by the two torx screws and the 4 philips display screws which will become 2mm longer. The board ships with all the new parts you need.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
In case someone is not aware - you'll be able to install OS on eMMC (or microSD) entirely, you don't have to use NAND at all. With some 64GB or even 128GB variants there should be enough space for complete system.

It may or may not be possible with Fremantle, though (but with enough hacking is should be possible after all)
I know that and understand that, but thanks for your answer However if we had NAND available (and with size big enough), I would prefer to install my preferred operating system there (and maybe even make it read-only + replace editable files with symlinks - somethink more or less like this).

On the other hand - after all, if we had 128GB, we could in theory forget about the user-accessible NAND at all and install everything onto eMMC partitions (might cause worse performance), am I right? Or would this limit us to similarly insane level as current eMMC bottleneck caused by swap+/opt+MyDocs on same hardware chip?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I'd just like to add that I'm also in favour of the extra 2mm to accommodate the sandwich solution.

I haven't yet voted as the specs are not finalised but with the current proposal I'd also be looking to lay down 500EUR.

I have a question regarding the display. Will the Neo900 work only with the current N900 display or will we have the option to install another should we desire? I came across this 960x640 3.5" capacitive display which is only $15 and wondered how feasible it would to install this in the Neo900. I'd rather have an upgraded resistive display but on the other hand I've had bad experiences with some resistive displays (but not the N900 obviously) and there are styli for capacitive displays should I want precision.

Last edited by wicket; 2013-10-11 at 19:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
maybe a metal slice between case and backplate , to give a nice look and acomodate all things needed. what brick , how the hell could you call that brick , few milimeters , big storage , lte , sensors and on top maemo and about resolution , i think wvga is ok , at least for me , i don't see the pixels
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-10-11 at 18:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
2-3 mm more is not that much. Now the question is what extra gadgets could get in? ( I have started the tricky work at home to convince my wife that paying for Neo900 so much is a good option so more stuff=more arguments - give me bulets!!! )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Yes, 2-3mm is not much, but 18 +2-3 is much.

Don't missunderstand me. I'd love to have these all functions, but I care too about the cost and the thickness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
[...] I'd love to have these all functions, but I care too about the cost and the thickness.
More space gets you same (type of) components and thus same functions for lower pricetag. Low profile components are generally more expensive than same stuff bult a bit more "bulky"

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!