Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
When you look at this picture:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39072

There are two brackets or "wings" on the socket. They must be fastened to the casing by gluing or pressing/heating or something. The socket itself doesn't need to be glued.
Unless solder is "red-colored", then its glued to the board, along with (4) small soldering points via its (4) legs. There is nothing keeping the socket "connected" to the walls of the case, if its not touching it.

I took my 900 apart after my port came out, and again, its a very flimsy installation/solution. No bracing whatsoever, only its connection to the board.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Best thing is to be careful when plugging/unplugging. I don't know if such problems will be avoidable but at least careful handling will prolong the use. I assume after the one year Nokia warranty you will have to pay for this to be fixed?

woodyear99, sadly that's most likely unless this is a big enough issue to warrant press.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
In the UK you should still be covered as it's a design flaw and not just wear-and-tear.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I was taken to task by one person for blogging on this subject, but I believe it was warranted (note: I would have taken a different approach if I were still a NOkia employee). This is indeed a design flaw.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Well it is documented fact, I mean do phones normally have such a cheap connector. Hardly something to expect in a high end device.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Well it is documented fact, I mean do phones normally have such a cheap connector. Hardly something to expect in a high end device.
(Nearly) All connectors are cheap.

It's the mounting/lack of bracing here that's the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The "cheapness" of the connector is not an issue as go1dfish points out. They're all cheap in cost. It was the choice. Original connector was surface mount with no retainer flange. I recommend through hole mount with a flange.

Was this choice due to cost cutting or just a poor decision?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Was this choice due to cost cutting or just a poor decision?
That's why I'm curious as to how the 810's port is mounted.

Given that the 810 had a separate charging port, the USB port would not have seen as much use.

If that's the case, a surface mount may have been more tenable, given the reduced frequency of connection/disconnection.

If the 810's USB mounting is the same as the 900 it was likely a poor decision founded on incorrect assumptions.

If the 810's USB mounting is sturdier, it was likely a cost cutting measure.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty