Notices

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
MartinK: Can you please fix this offending egg: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1641

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
It's great!

There are lots of vector maps to be downloaded from the OSM webpage for the whole countries (for example this: http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/poland.html). It's particularly useful as you can download the maps for the whole country at once. Will modrana support this?
These are raw OpenStreetMap data and the available formats (XML & PBF) are not really suitable for direct usage for vector map rendering (you can't efficiently get data for a bounding box). On the other hand these file formats (especially PBF) are suitable for efficient conversion into other formats suitable for vector map rendering.

So it should be possible in the future to use these OSM data dumps for generating suitable datasets for modRana to use.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Haha looks like 3d maps are near btw able to download whole countries would simplyfy things
I might be able to do something similar to the global Monav offline routing data repository, but no promises just now. ;-)

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
and are there plans for including here maps ?
Their data format would need to be documented, redistributable and supported by the tools modRana has available - so not very likely.

Originally Posted by petur View Post
This sounds great.

But I'm moving out... setting up an Xperia Z3 Compact and it will be my main phone by the end of this week.

Martin, thanks again for your work, it was a donation well spent!
Thanks to you too!

If you (or anybody else) goes to Fosdem, let's meet and have a beer.
Sounds like a plan!

And I'm looking forward to modRana on Android
(f-droid is a great FOSS repository for Android)
Well actually things finally got moving in this area! Thomas Perl managed to get my hacky Python 3+PyOtherSide+Qt5@Android efforts into a usable state over the weekend and there is already a Gpodder build using this available on the Play store !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gpodder.android

So if everything goes well and I don't hit any other substantial blockers, then some preliminary modRana (with Qt 5 GUI) packages for Android should show up in a matter of days.

MartinK: Can you please fix this offending egg: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1641
Gosh, the egg strikes again! I remember having issues with it before on other platforms - I see what I can do to get rid of it on Maemo.

Last edited by MartinK; 2014-11-11 at 16:53.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
ok, so does Modrana have any of these features:
1.Support for using Google Transit GTFS data (specifically displaying stops on the map and then getting info about those stops just like Google Maps does)
2.The ability to download an entire area offline by name (e.g. "Australia" or "Brisbane") without needing to manually figure out the coordinates for the area I want to download (I have a very fast ADSL connection at home but when on the road, my internet is often slow or non-working so I need maps offline but having to manually select coordinates and areas to download is too hard given the vast size of the greater Brisbane area and all the places I go to)
and 3.The ability to search by address or location and see where it is on the map.

Does modrana have these features? Nokia Maps has #2 (my most important feature for a mapping program), if modrana can do #2 and at least one of #1 or #3, I will switch from Nokia Maps to modrana.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
#2 and #3 is present, #1 is not, AFAIK (to be precise - you CAN view layer with traffic overlay on top of, for example, satellite map, but not some fancy other things.).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
ok, so does Modrana have any of these features:
1.Support for using Google Transit GTFS data (specifically displaying stops on the map and then getting info about those stops just like Google Maps does)
No GTFS support at the moment, but some of the map layers such as the Public transport overlay (looks like this) show public transport lines & stops.

2.The ability to download an entire area offline by name (e.g. "Australia" or "Brisbane") without needing to manually figure out the coordinates for the area I want to download (I have a very fast ADSL connection at home but when on the road, my internet is often slow or non-working so I need maps offline but having to manually select coordinates and areas to download is too hard given the vast size of the greater Brisbane area and all the places I go to)
and
Well modRana currently uses tiled maps for the map layers and you can tell it to download an are either around where you are on around middle of whats currently visible on the map or around a route. You can set are radius and number of upper and lower zoom zoom levels to download. Just note that it might take some time & not all tile providers like batch tile downloading. Also the tiles can consume significant amount of storage if high level of detail is being downloaded.

And if you plan to download a lot of map tiles, make sure to use the "sqlite" tile storage backend - unlike the "files" backend the tiles can't be shared with other applications like Mappero, but the tiles consume much less space (the "sqlite" backend eliminates the wasted space issues for many small files stored on FAT32).

In the future when the planed vector map support is working, I would like to make it possible to download (& update) vector map data pack directly from modRana (eq. Berlin, Australia, Europe, etc.) but that is still a bit in the future.
3.The ability to search by address or location and see where it is on the map.
Yeah, as long as you have Internet connectivity though. And not only address searches but also Wikipedia and local amenity searches (find me nearest pizza, pub, atm, parking, etc.).

BTW, modRana is open source and mostly written in Python - and I'm pretty much the only one working on it at the moment and I can only do so much. So if you consider a feature important but it is missing, the best way to get in into modRana quickly is to send me a patch.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Great except that I couldn't write Python code if my life depended on it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Which python modules does Modrana use? Your app could be a guinea pig for testing how our ported modules work with python2.7 ;D

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Which python modules does Modrana use? Your app could be a guinea pig for testing how our ported modules work with python2.7 ;D
Looking at the dependency list:
python-dbus, python-protobuf (>= 2.4), python-imaging, python-location, python-osso, python-conic, python-hildon

Of course it also uses pygtk but for some reason it is not declared in package dependencies and yet it works. :P

And for the Qt4/QML GUI:

python-qtmobility12, python-pyside.qtgui, python-pyside.qtdeclarative

If problematic these could be split to a subpackage (modrana-qt4-gui) and I'm probably going to do the subpackage anyway so that modRana does not drag in so many Qt dependencies for people who only use the GTK interface.

Anyway, to test just run:
Code:
python2.7 /opt/modrana/modrana.py -d n900 -u gtk

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
should be possible to use mbrola in modRana?

voices with mbrola+espeak are less robotic

this is a small guide on how to use mbrola arm version on the N900 for Navit turn-by-turn voice instructions

Download mbrola arm version from this link:

http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis...nux/mbrola.rar

i downloaded on my pc, extracted, and transfered the mbrola binary file via ssh to N900 in /usr/bin/ folder. (maybe is possible to save some rootfs space putting the mbrola binary in /opt and then create a symlink from /usr/bin to the file)

for voices i found to ways:

you can download voices from http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis...brcopybin.html

download your favourite voice package, i downloaded it4 package (italian female voice), extract, cause you need only the it4 file. then put the it4 file in a folder in MyDocs.

mbrola will search voice files in /usr/share/mbrola/voices/ so you need to create a symlink /usr/share/mbrola/voices/it4 linking to the file in MyDocs

another possible way, not tested, is to use some mbrola voice files already present in espeak folder /opt/espeak/data/voices/mb/ (so no need to download a voice file)

to let mbrola work with navit , you just need to edit speech.xml file like this:

<speech type="cmdline" data="espeak -v mb-it4 -s 150 -a 150 -p 50 '%s'"/>

and the new voice works!

-s sets the speed
-a sets the volume(av. 100)
-p sets the pitch(av. 50)

please check if can work with modRana too

And for future vector maps support, should be possible to use something similar to Navit Planet Extractor?

so you can choose the map area to download, and it generates a mapfile.bin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
should be possible to use mbrola in modRana?

voices with mbrola+espeak are less robotic

this is a small guide on how to use mbrola arm version on the N900 for Navit turn-by-turn voice instructions

Download mbrola arm version from this link:

http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis...nux/mbrola.rar

i downloaded on my pc, extracted, and transfered the mbrola binary file via ssh to N900 in /usr/bin/ folder. (maybe is possible to save some rootfs space putting the mbrola binary in /opt and then create a symlink from /usr/bin to the file)

for voices i found to ways:

you can download voices from http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis...brcopybin.html

download your favourite voice package, i downloaded it4 package (italian female voice), extract, cause you need only the it4 file. then put the it4 file in a folder in MyDocs.

mbrola will search voice files in /usr/share/mbrola/voices/ so you need to create a symlink /usr/share/mbrola/voices/it4 linking to the file in MyDocs

another possible way, not tested, is to use some mbrola voice files already present in espeak folder /opt/espeak/data/voices/mb/ (so no need to download a voice file)

to let mbrola work with navit , you just need to edit speech.xml file like this:

<speech type="cmdline" data="espeak -v mb-it4 -s 150 -a 150 -p 50 '%s'"/>

and the new voice works!

-s sets the speed
-a sets the volume(av. 100)
-p sets the pitch(av. 50)

please check if can work with modRana too
Actually, it looks like modRana can work with Mbrola and there is a modRana specific Mbrola guide on the wiki. I haven't tried that yet myself though.

Originally Posted by gianko View Post
And for future vector maps support, should be possible to use something similar to Navit Planet Extractor?

so you can choose the map area to download, and it generates a mapfile.bin
Looks like a nice idea!

I have though about various methods easy user-accessible vector data access, such as:
  • easy osm/osm.pbf -> routing data converters
  • global repository with per-country data packs (like the current global Monav offline routing data repository)
  • build in support in modRana for downloading OSM data and importing them to the vector database
  • or something similar to the online Navit tool
But that will heavily depend on the actually data format used, how it easy will it be to generate and how big the resulting data files will be. That will show which of these ideas are doable and which not.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps