Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
We're discussing the solutions without asking the most important person here. Aapo, what's your idea for handling these pycentral-created modules that exist in /usr/lib/python2.7 ?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
We're discussing the solutions without asking the most important person here. Aapo, what's your idea for handling these pycentral-created modules that exist in /usr/lib/python2.7 ?
A - If we think they should't exists, python2.7-minimal.preinst should abort installation
Code:
case "$1" in
    install)
        if [ -e /usr/lib/python2.7 ] && \
          [ ! -L /usr/lib/python2.7 ]; then
            echo "/usr/lib/python2.7 should not be a regoular directory before python2.7-minimal installation. Please clean it." 
            exit 1
        fi
B - Otherwise python2.7-minimal.preinst could preserve files
Code:
    case "$1" in
    install)
        if [ -e /usr/lib/python2.7 ] && \
          [ ! -L /usr/lib/python2.7 ]; then
            # /opt/python27/lib really shouldn't exists
            if [ -e /opt/python27/lib ]; then exit 1; fi 
            mkdir -p /opt/python27
            mv -i /usr/lib/python2.7 /opt/python27/lib
         fi
I vote for A :
- A is simpler and cleaner
- B could break something else, I fear (for example removal of a package with real files in /usr/lib/python2.7)
- my problematic case happende because there were files from a package who should (kindly) remove them.
- your case @marmistrz is for me not reproducible.

I'm still trying to complete python 2.7.8 packaging, btw (issues with multiarch)

And do you have modrana installed? Maybe the offending egg causes pycentral to create modules for 2.7?

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
And do you have modrana installed? Maybe the offending egg causes pycentral to create modules for 2.7?
I've modrana installed and I have only files of modrana in /usr/lib/python2.7.
I think your case is caused by the installation of a non optified version of python2.7. Possible ?

I installed no other python2.7 than from the repos. Look at wiki.maemo.org/User:Marmistrz for approximation of my setup and the list of packages pastebin somewhere in this thread.

I've packaged python 2.7.8 from jessie, if someone wants to test.
Installation stops if /usr/lib/python2.7 exists.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0k0bymmxp...HM7JnqcOa?dl=0

packaging repository is on github, if you want compile or see the diff from debian package
https://github.com/gaetano-guerriero/python27-maemo

A small issue is the missing of bsddb (maemo libdb is too old).
Anyway bsddb is deprecated, and we should hardly find something using it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wazrus For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately I have little to say. I think it will be best to use newest available python-2.7. (2.7.8 from Jessie sounds good). I also think that symlinking is cleaner way than mounting (as with python2.5).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I'm quite a python noob but I need python2.7, should I bother or go directly to 3.4: http://213.128.137.28/showthread.php?t=91777&page=3

Besides that, what's the best way to build/install a module for python2.7 or 3.4?
I need some third-party modules that aren't here yet, but I am not really familiar with python and it's modules but would like to make a try and if I succeed, the community is one module richer ^^
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
mr_pingu,

there's a whole history behind the modules. The idea was to port most modules to 2.7/3.4. There's even a thread about it somewhere.

But.
But due to the Aapo's packaging, the debian provides were needed. I asked Aapo to add them but he seemingly had no time. The provides are missing even now (and their lack breaks some packages from the python3 source package)

I get this trying to install latest setuptools:

Code:
-bash-4.2$ cd ~/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1
-bash-4.2$ sudo python2.7 setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 11, in <module>
    import setuptools
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/setuptools/__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
    import setuptools.version
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/setuptools/version.py", line 1, in <module>
    import pkg_resources
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3018, in <module>
    @_call_aside
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3002, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3031, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 645, in _build_master
    ws = cls()
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 638, in __init__
    self.add_entry(entry)
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 694, in add_entry
    for dist in find_distributions(entry, True):
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2018, in find_on_path
    path_item, entry, metadata, precedence=DEVELOP_DIST
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2431, in from_location
    py_version=py_version, platform=platform, **kw
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2771, in _reload_version
    md_version = _version_from_file(self._get_metadata(self.PKG_INFO))
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2396, in _version_from_file
    line = next(iter(version_lines), '')
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2564, in _get_metadata
    for line in self.get_metadata_lines(name):
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1871, in get_metadata_lines
    return yield_lines(self.get_metadata(name))
  File "/home/user/MyDocs/setuptools-34.0.1/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1857, in get_metadata
    with io.open(self.path, encoding='utf-8', errors="replace") as f:
TypeError: 'errors' is an invalid keyword argument for this function