Notices

If 14 is too big, just download 13 or 12.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ipoh, Malaysia
Hi All,

Following instructions here -
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mar...OfflineRouting

I installed the Gosmore map of my city as .pak file to my N900.
But still while searching in Marble it shows up only Monav results and also in the routing section no options for Gosmore are available. Are any extra steps required to get Gosmore working with Marble on N900.

Thanks.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
help me!!!!!!!!!!

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Routing died
Was working two weeks ago.
Tried this morning ... nothing "No route found".
Re-installed Marble, Monav client and Monav daemon...
still nothing.

Is there a config file that could have been corrupted
Using 1.2.0 stable.
Monav 0.3 rel 3

Last edited by gadgetChris; 2011-10-07 at 01:45.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
@MetalGearSolid: The current packages don't include the gosmore plugin as I had the impression people wouldn't use it since no ready-made maps are available. When compiling and installing Marble in scratchbox using the armel target, you get the plugin and can copy it to the N900.

@gadgetChris: Very infrequently the monav routing daemon reaches a state where it does not work anymore and it needs to be killed manually. An easy way to do that is to reboot the N900. Does that help?
Have you checked the routing configuration in Marble? It does some basic sanity checks for Monav as well (checks whether the daemon can be executed and whether at least one map is installed).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
map is not showing narrow lanes and many time even main roads of my city (india , indore) can i use my sygic maps which i have downloaded on device some how or suggest me some idea plz
Attached Images

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
@gadgetChris: Very infrequently the monav routing daemon reaches a state where it does not work anymore and it needs to be killed manually. An easy way to do that is to reboot the N900. Does that help?
Have you checked the routing configuration in Marble? It does some basic sanity checks for Monav as well (checks whether the daemon can be executed and whether at least one map is installed).
I've restarted the N900 now several times and still no routing.

I've two maps (Ontario and Quebec) installed and have reinstalled Monav and Marble.
What else can I check? Is there a way to check monav from the CLI?

I really miss the routing

On a side note;
I never got routing working through "yours" either. So no routing at all on marble...

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Seems like I've missed some great routing application so far! I just read the whole thread but I still have some questions (partly because I can't remember what was written on the first 10 pages. ):

1. It seems to me like marble heavily relies on raster maps. Can it work with vector data only and still show useful information on the display?
The reason why I'm asking is that up to now I use Navit and I have a OSM dump of Germany in binary format on my N900. I'd like to use the same file in Marble and usually I neither can download map tiles for routing (because there's often no internet connection available) nor can I do that in advance since I often don't know which tiles I'll need.

2. I've swapped the home and MyDocs partitions on my N900 which means MyDocs has only 2GB. So in case 1. would turn out positive can I tell Marble to look for the OSM dump not in MyDocs but in home? Afair all the discussion in this thread about alternative map locations were still on the MyDocs partition.

3. Does Marble support indirect routing pathes (i.e. additional waypoints)? This is the main reason why I'm looking for a Navit replacement.
I can't check right now since I don't have my N900 at hand. I had a look at the Debian marble package but although they seem to be related it's appatently not the same software that is discussed in this thread.

Edit:
4. My system has a mixed locale. The keyboard layout is US, the rest is German. Would Marble use metric or imperial units on my device?

Last edited by sulu; 2011-10-15 at 21:30.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I have my N900 back and I did some investigation and found that it seems that I was wrong and the N900 Marble is indeed the same like the one in the Debian repositories.

So I'll answer my questions myself as far as I can.
1. It seems like using vector data only is not really useful since unlike Navit Marble uses raster data from the tiles to draw streets. Please correct me if there's any way around this!
Unfortunately that makes Marble unsuitable as a Navit replacement for me. However, since I'm really interested in astronomy I find the Moon and Mars capabilities of Marble very pleasant. (Some years ago I even worked with MOLA data).

2. I haven't found any answer to that. I'd still appreciate a hint.

3. Marble does support extra waypoints.

4. It's in German on my N900.

@earthwings:
If I understand that correctly you are a Marble developer. I have a little proposal for future versions:
Based on the Debian Wheezy package I added the Mars to my N900 Marble by copying
Code:
$HOME/.local/share/marble/maps/mars
from my Wheezy installation to
Code:
/opt/marble/share/marble/data/maps/
on my N900. I'd find it nice to have Mars there in future versions by default.

Unfortunately I noticed that the minimap shows earth even if Mars is selected. So I investigated further and found that for the Moon and Earth minimaps there are the files:
Code:
/opt/marble/share/marble/data/svg/lunarmap.svg
/opt/marble/share/marble/data/svg/worldmap.svg
So I created a marsmap.svg by downloading a MOLA map from NASA [1], converting that into a black&white SVG. I'd share that SVG but I don't know about the copyright of the original MOLA map.
I placed the minimap into the same directory like the other minimaps but it wasn't loaded.
I went on searching for where the file name is defined and unfortunately I found that it's hard-coded into the source code, namely:
Code:
marble/src/plugins/render/overviewmap/OverviewMap.cpp
There is the following subroutine:
Code:
void OverviewMap::changeBackground( const QString& target )
{
    delete m_svgobj;
    m_svgobj = 0;

if ( target == "moon" ) {
        m_svgobj = new QSvgRenderer( MarbleDirs::path( "svg/lunarmap.svg" ),
                                    this );
        return;
    }

if ( target == "earth" ) {
        m_svgobj = new QSvgRenderer( MarbleDirs::path( "svg/worldmap.svg" ),
                                    this );
    }
}
I would suggest to change that code to:
Code:
void OverviewMap::changeBackground( const QString& target )
{
    delete m_svgobj;
    m_svgobj = 0;

m_svgobj = new QSvgRenderer( MarbleDirs::path( "svg/" + target + "map.svg" ),
                                    this );
    return;
}
It's untested and my C++ is a bit rusty so don't just copy&paste it! But in principle this should allow to load arbitrary minimaps simply via giving it the proper file name. Of course "lunarmap" and "worldmap" would have to be renamed to "moonmap" and "earthmap".
This would easily allow to load other planets like Venus. Pioneer-Venus 1 did a quite impressive radar mapping of Venus. Maybe a topographic map of Mars would also be nice.

[1] http://marsoweb.arc.nasa.gov/globalData/datamaps.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
@nicholes: Marble does not support the sygic map format, sorry.

@gadgetChris: When you enable OpenRouteService in the config file and calculate a route in Europe (say Germany), does that one work?

@sulu: There is vector rendering support in Marble since quite a long time. You can see it in the Atlas map theme, for example, which consists of both vector data and textures. You're possibly looking for OpenStreetMap data vector rendering though. We had a GSOC student working on that this summer. The current state roughly looks like this:

There are some glitches (mostly label painting related), but overall it works quite nice for street zoom levels. Still it's not ready for prime time. Currently you can open .osm files (those you get from e.g. http://download.geofabrik.de/) assuming they're not too large (a few megabytes). The next steps will be to support .pbf files and to work on a tiling scheme that allows to open files fast and distribute them on a server. The work on that has stalled a bit after GSOC, so if anyone wants to help, feel free to hang out in #marble and get your hands dirty. The code is in nice shape and there are always some Marble developers around to answer questions.

Thanks for the suggestion to improve the overview map handling. The code you quoted above is a bit old, the current version (1.2) already can be configured to use different map files for each planet. Currently that's done by the user in the config dialog (disabled on the N900, but you can edit /home/user/.config/kde.org/Marble Desktop Globe.conf directly). I made a small enhancement to it such that the filename is chosen based on the planet name now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900