Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
... so you could be stuck with factory software only.
Not entirely true, see http://openrepos.net.
But indeed could be a showstopper for some.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Is it still worth to buy a N9? Indeed it is! The N9 combines a good hardware with a (unfortunately abandoned) amazing and flexible OS - but there are some bugs which won't be fixed ...
Thanks for that comprehensive essay
I have to agree in all points (about Jolla HW, would also say bit outdated: camera, display, no HWkbd (TOHKBD), ...; OS also has flaws, but getting updates so might be the future, yes)
But still the N9/00 will live a few more years .....

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-01-11 at 11:23. Reason: future

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
I loved and love the N9, it's a beautiful device with a great user experience; and if you've used a gesture-based interface, you can't go back to the Android/IOS mess. However, I recently switched from N9 to Jolla. Mostly because I want to support this company as I'm afraid it's the last chance for a somewhat open alternative. But also because the battery on my N9 was showing its age.

Overall, SailfishOS is very similar in user experience to the N9. The Jolla is faster, lighter, has 4G and its Android compatibility means you have no missing apps. The interface is smooth and beautiful, and at least as intuitive as the N9's. It's not expensive with the current price drop. What I miss from the N9 is the screen (I used it as night clock) and the Drive application. Also, the N9 was the perfect size for me (though the Jolla is far from a big phone by today's standards). But when I now use the N9, I find it heavy and very slow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
The answer depends on what you want from the phone. I personally dont have the time to tinker about with the phone, I just want everything to work and preferably to do so in a quick manner.

I had N9 for about 2,5 years, now with Jolla for 6 months. The good/best part of the N9 was the OS, it was just spot on in terms of usability and looks. It's still miles ahead of sailfish in my opinion, well ok sf looks more modern, but I miss the meego OS. And the camera sometimes.

But thats about it. Most things are outdated, slow, require tinkering, etc. Lack of new apps. No support from the manufacturer.

I do hope that Nokia had continued with meego/harmattan and released a model with a multicore processor etc. better specs. Probably would still be using that.

Edit: about the display, there seemed to be a lot of different quality panels out there. I had three different panels (originals and from official Nokia repair) and my wifes N9 had two (original + nokia repair) and only one of those was good quality. Either they did not work properly in the cold or the colors were not solid on large surfaces.

Last edited by nestori; 2015-01-11 at 12:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nestori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Russia Saratov
2015 today, i have n900, z10, nexus 5 , but n9 still main phone! n9 4ever! ))
jolla ... maybe later ....

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Alexxxl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ London
I bought an N9 last week on ebay for 49 quid. In my spare time over the week I've managed to get everything I need to work and I just think it's a brilliant device and a real pleasure to use. I don't know why some people have commented on it being slow by today's standards. As much as that is true on paper in practice I get a very smooth, lag-free, experience. I have only two problems that I can't solve. First is I can't get it to automatically switch to an available WLAN and the second is I can't put my Facebook account in it because it constantly asks for the password. I bought this as a stop gap as I broke my BB Q10 and am not due an upgrade for a few months but I don't see another phone out there at the moment with a UI I would like as much as this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drongodrew For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drongodrew View Post
I bought an N9 last week on ebay for 49 quid. In my spare time over the week I've managed to get everything I need to work and I just think it's a brilliant device and a real pleasure to use. I don't know why some people have commented on it being slow by today's standards. As much as that is true on paper in practice I get a very smooth, lag-free, experience. I have only two problems that I can't solve. First is I can't get it to automatically switch to an available WLAN and the second is I can't put my Facebook account in it because it constantly asks for the password. I bought this as a stop gap as I broke my BB Q10 and am not due an upgrade for a few months but I don't see another phone out there at the moment with a UI I would like as much as this.
I've likewise just acquired an N9, and have been listing my trials, tribulations, and discoveries in getting the software ready for life in 2016. Might you perhaps consider casting an eye over this page on the wiki, and making any additions you have to offer?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kazzie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kazzie View Post
I've likewise just acquired an N9, and have been listing my trials, tribulations, and discoveries in getting the software ready for life in 2016. Might you perhaps consider casting an eye over this page on the wiki, and making any additions you have to offer?
That's a great page - wish I'd seen it a week ago it would have saved me a load of time. All the essential stuff to make the phone usable is there - I wasted a lot of time trying to get my gmail account to set up in MFE. I used the 'other mail account' setting finally but also used caldav to sync my google calendar. No sync for contacts however exporting them from google and importing them on the N9 was painless. There is an app in warehouse for syncing google contacts but it's one way so contacts you add to the phone won't turn up on google. Also did you know you can still download maps for offline use in the map app ('manage maps' from the menu)? I don't know if any of this is worth including on your wiki - maybe the calendar info?

The Following User Says Thank You to drongodrew For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drongodrew View Post
I don't know if any of this is worth including on your wiki - maybe the calendar info?
I've only written about stuff that I've tried myself, or found explained in the various conversation threads. If you'd rather not add the info yourself, just summarise it in this thread and I'll type it up at some point.

The Following User Says Thank You to kazzie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kazzie View Post
I've only written about stuff that I've tried myself, or found explained in the various conversation threads. If you'd rather not add the info yourself, just summarise it in this thread and I'll type it up at some point.
I just didn't want to clutter up your page but I'll add a couple of things now as concisely as possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drongodrew For This Useful Post:

Tags
buying n9, nokia n9