Active Topics

Just got KDE + CUPS + Koffice working on my n800. Thanks a lot. Printing and apps all seem to work. I guess I can ditch the laptop at school and just put my n800 and su8w (and my cell phone i suppose) in my pockets. Unfortunately in Diablo the deb pkg didn't install. It would start and it would use up all the space but give me an error in the end and not function. Don't know exactly what went wrong but the bz2 and sup tgz worked fine. The printing worked great too. Now this n800 has a new place in my heart considering I can do all the things I was hoping to do on it when I first bought it almost 8 months ago.

There is one problem though. I know it's a small screen and fitting things onto it at what most would consider a low res is a difficult thing to do but certain apps (like kopete) have buttons in option menus (like the OK button) that are outside the view of the screen and I tried whatever I could to try to correct it. I think in a little while I am just going to ssh into it and see if I can forward the programs, change the options, and exit in order to get it all of it correct. This seems like the only available option (even though I haven't tested it yet).

Thanks a ton for the project. I can't wait to not have to lug a laptop around. Even though laptops aren't that big... why bother when you can carry a laptop in your pockets?

This is working absolutely great (with the exception of the ssl support for Kopete). I have successfully used KDE and koffice apps along with printing to my networked laser printer with CUPS. Thank you so much for this. It is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to ditch my hildon install. Konqueror is not that bad of a browser but isn't supported by a lot of sites that are important (like banking sites). It would be nice if everything was more bare and pkgs could be stored somewhere to install in case you didn't want a huge install. I have an 8G SD for this, but there are a lot of things I wouldn't have normally installed.

I think it was a great job with the input buttons. The fact that you can still lock and zoom full screen for windows etc is awesome.

Thank you very much for this release. I wanted to use my N800 with my SU8W instead of using my laptop for school because I can keep it in my pockets. Don't know if anybody has ever been in this situation but it is nice to have that emergency term paper machine. Heh.

Anyways. Thanks again. I found a new love for my N800. The lack of printing or a valid office type applications were a major turn off. Since I can go in and out of hildon pretty easily it is a perfect solution.

If you could post what steps you took to cross compile the source that would be nice PB.

The Following User Says Thank You to macer For This Useful Post:
PB:
Just completed installation of KDE and it is truly breathtaking!

Some questions though:
I'd like to install wireless tools (for iwlist) and have tried using KPackage - it does ask for my root password which I believe is still at the default (rootme) and it does not accept this as valid? Starting KPackage from the root terminal the installation indicates that it fails due to unlisted dependices. Is KPackage usable?
I'd also like to install CUPS - how is this best done?

Thanks again for such a beautiful package!
littlejohn

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
PB:
Just completed installation of KDE and it is truly breathtaking!

Some questions though:
I'd like to install wireless tools (for iwlist) and have tried using KPackage - it does ask for my root password which I believe is still at the default (rootme) and it does not accept this as valid? Starting KPackage from the root terminal the installation indicates that it fails due to unlisted dependices. Is KPackage usable?
I'd also like to install CUPS - how is this best done?

Thanks again for such a beautiful package!
littlejohn
kpackage should not have any dep problems, but you can run the maemo package manager from the taskbar shortcut. I will look into the kpackage problem, could be some missing lib? its not really recommended to use anyway, I would stick with maemo package manager.

As for CUPS its already installed, I believe it localhost:631 from a browser, or konqueror has a bookmark....
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice