Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
msa's Avatar
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
#11
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Last I checked the microB browser was capable of handling normal Firefox plug-ins. So... Shouldn't this work?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/379

I can't test it right now since, my N900 is in the shop. Sure hope it does though, would be gorram useful.
i just tried this, but sadly the installer sais that microb is not compatible with this add-on

its really a pity because its a standard feature in opera for ages.
there are so many things in firefox you need to get as an addon that are default in opera.

Last edited by msa; 2010-01-24 at 23:07.
 
daperl's Avatar
Posts: 2,426 | Thanked: 2,984 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#12
Oh yeah, and we also need ease-of-use for:

"Go to Top" and
"Go to Bottom"

I think there's already a thread about these two, but all these simple little browser fixes need to stick together.
__________________
N9: Go white or go home
 

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
msa's Avatar
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
#13
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Oh yeah, and we also need ease-of-use for:

"Go to Top" and
"Go to Bottom"

I think there's already a thread about these two, but all these simple little browser fixes need to stick together.
that would be really nice too!

another thing i noticed:
on this forum for example, scrolling through long threads is kinda painful, because scrolling doesnt get faster, but keeps the same speed.

in the n900 email-inbox on the other hand, scrolling gets faster the faster you scroll with your finger/stylus (like its accelerating)

it would be nice if microb would do that too (even if its just optional)
 
ndi's Avatar
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
#14
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Oh yeah, and we also need ease-of-use for:

"Go to Top" and
"Go to Bottom"

I think there's already a thread about these two, but all these simple little browser fixes need to stick together.
Space and shift+space make this a LOT less painful.

I can live with it. Tried?

Also, in portrait mode the page is nice and large. Just peep the keyboard open one row. Space and shift are both on that last row.

Shift+space is hard to hit with one hand, though.
__________________
N900 dead and Nokia no longer replaces them. Thanks for all the fish.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-01-24 at 23:54.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 550 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Aug 2006
#15
Yeah, having links open in the foreground causes me to have to make lots of extra clicks while I browse and frankly isn't that useful as pages take a while to fetch and render anyways. I would love to see either this or some form of tabbed browsing.

I would also like to see:
-Easy adjustment of font sizes (you can set a minimum font size via about:config)
-Fit view to width
-drag-able scroll/progress bar
 
msa's Avatar
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
#16
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Space and shift+space make this a LOT less painful.

I can live with it. Tried?

Also, in portrait mode the page is nice and large. Just peep the keyboard open one row. Space and shift are both on that last row.

Shift+space is hard to hit with one hand, though.
its a workaround, but not really a solution, because its still very slow.
also, keeping space or shift+space pressed doesnt work.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
daperl's Avatar
Posts: 2,426 | Thanked: 2,984 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#17
What he said. The space bar is not close to a substitute. One solution would be making the 5-second fullscreen popup window on the bottom-right extensible.
__________________
N9: Go white or go home
 
ndi's Avatar
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
#18
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
What he said. The space bar is not close to a substitute. One solution would be making the 5-second fullscreen popup window on the bottom-right extensible.
What-he-said is a bit of a problem. The reason space is so slow is because the browser needs to render the next screen and slide it into view. It goes no faster (the CPU ceils).

If you space-then-drag the window you get the rectangular gray of death. Also, scrolling goes no faster for the same reason.

In order to scroll-to-top fast you need to keep the top window (and bottom?) cached at all times, most likely tripling the RAM usage.

Otherwise a top button would take seconds to take effect, just like a "top" link in a page (which the page should have anyway, courtesy) triggers the "rendering" mode.

I know it's faster than scrolling anyway, especially in long pages, but it needs rebuilding and most likely caching.

The only way of doing this at this time is either scroll (and stress the screen) or hold "up" arrow and not stress the screen (takes a while).

However, re-rendering is likely to take as much as pressing back and then forward again, methinks.

Drawbacks of having little RAM is that you can't render full pages in memory. A large page has Firefox allocating a few hundred megs (and releasing SOME of it :P ).
__________________
N900 dead and Nokia no longer replaces them. Thanks for all the fish.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.
 
daperl's Avatar
Posts: 2,426 | Thanked: 2,984 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#19
I think you're confusing layout with rendering. The DOM's elements are all in memory, along with their layout coordinates. What tile(s) the browser needs to render is a fast binary search combined with simple math. Rendering and zooming tiles isn't free, but let's not get dramatic. Also, if there isn't anything animating, once rendered, each tiles pixels are less than a MB (800x480x2). Have you ever used a Nokia tablet or an iPhone OS device with only 128MB of RAM? They work just fine: The Nokias have fast scrolling scroll bars and the iPhone OS devices let you click on the status bar to jump to the top of the screen. This is no big deal and it's one simple function call. Trust me, I know, I've called it on all devices mentioned. I think the n900 can handle it.
__________________
N9: Go white or go home
 
bigbrovar's Avatar
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
#20
I many of you really care about having this feature on the N900 as much as you say you do. Put your money where your mouth is and make an enhancement request. https://bugs.maemo.org/ That way this can be voted for and the devs would see its a popular request and maybe it would be included in future updates
__________________
If man has evolved from apes and monkeys, why are there still apes monkeys?.

My Blog
 
Reply

Tags
backgroumd, link, microb, window

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:00.