Active Topics

Can anyone please tell me the format of the /home/user/.cherry_state file on their N9 device, leaving out any confidential info, if present (please note the dot in the file name). Here's why I need it:

I have a brand new N9 and after unboxing I've been getting a lot of random freezes and reboots. After enabling the developer mode and looking at the logs I see what seems to be the problem:

cherry-checker: CRITICAL: Cherry state file's content is invalid.
applauncher: Daemon: Boot mode set.

I discovered this thread http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-53565.html with some background info. It seems that, as per Nokia's terms of service at http://www.nokia.com/global/privacy/...service-terms/, "Upon first use of your device, and each time you update the Nokia device software, a text message will be sent to Nokia.". For N9 however it seems they went a step further so that if this registration fails you can't use the phone, because it keeps rebooting. Update: Turns out the assumption in the previous sentence is incorrect - that's not the cause for my reboots.

Im my case I first tried to use the phone with no SIM, getting random freezes and reboots. Then I placed a SIM and I started getting a flurry of SMS messages back from my cell operator telling me "destination not allowed" - it seems that for my current SIM (and its associated MCC) Nokia is trying to send those SMSs to an invalid number (probably a short code that's now out-of-service). Eventually I kept getting reboots, with the same "Cherry state file's content is invalid" error in the syslog.

Initially I tried to create an empty file, as suggested in the thread above. The phone doesn't seem to try to send any more hidden SMSs, but the reboots and cherry problem persists.

Digging further I found this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58761 with a sample file for N900. However the format must be different for N9, because I keep getting the same "content is invalid" error.

Could someone please help me out, by showing the format of their /home/user/.cherry_state. It would be much appreciated. Thanks !

P.S. I also tried to become root via devel-su and to disable this cherry business in /etc/init/xsession/cherryui.conf, but the neutered root in Harmattan (thanks Aegis - I guess) doesn't let me save the file. I should mention that I'm running the latest version of Harmattan, freshly flashed.

In most cases (e.g. 16 out of 17) I see the cherry error mention above followed by a reboot. In one case though I saw the reboot without the cherry error, so the problem may run even deeper:

Last edited by bhapca; 2014-02-08 at 08:10.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
The file does not appear to be present on my N9, in that location.
In fact, searched the whole thing, no hits.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
Never heard of that!

I suggest you do a reflash with another firmware image and start clean....

The Following User Says Thank You to mcbook For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
cherry-checker seems to use /var/lib/cherry/state* (and other files in same directory) to store its status.
Anyway, I also agree that rather that trying to patch undocumented system functions, it's safer to reflash the current f/w and start the device from a known state.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Can one not just uninstall cherry? Not sure about N9 but that's the first thing I do every time I reflash my N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Can one not just uninstall cherry? Not sure about N9 but that's the first thing I do every time I reflash my N900.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think the root on N9 has the same power as that on N900. Trying that causes apt-get to block and never return:

The Following User Says Thank You to bhapca For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
try (as root)
dpkg --purge --force-all cherry

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
try (as root)
dpkg --purge --force-all cherry
Thanks for the suggestion.

If I try that I get this warning about the request being ignored, because cherry isn't installed:

Yet the cherry binaries and configs are still there:

Maybe it was installed not through a regular package.

Last edited by bhapca; 2014-02-03 at 16:37.

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
cherry-checker seems to use /var/lib/cherry/state* (and other files in same directory) to store its status.
Anyway, I also agree that rather that trying to patch undocumented system functions, it's safer to reflash the current f/w and start the device from a known state.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the reflash only as a last resort, since last time I tried it wasn't a very smooth process:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...21#post1401021

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...68#post1401868

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
~ $ apt-cache search cherry
libphoneactivation0 - Phone Activation library
ovi-startup - Cherry UI application
~ $

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: