Needs a way to make the radio output come from loudspeaker rather than headphones.
I don't use headphones as an antenna.

Also, is there a binary for the fmtx anywhere?

P.S. The N950 and N9 actually have a different radio chip (variation of the same model). The N950 one doesn't include FMTX whatsoever.
The N9 one does though there is speculation over whether it is actually connected to any antenna. You may need to rip open your device and mod it with an antenna to actually use the FMTX.

Last edited by recluse; 2011-10-14 at 05:55.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Please note that is my application, the official releases as well as the source are available here http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/n950radio/
Will the FM radio be bundled as an app? I'm clueless on what to do with those files in the link.

SamGan, a GUI will come later.

Right now it has to be run in the terminal.
1. On your phone, press on this link: http://depot.javispedro.com/nit/n950....1.2_armel.deb
2. Press agree when it asks (you need external sources enabled).
3. Open terminal and type: fmrx -f 99.9 (you need development mode enabled)

The Following User Says Thank You to recluse For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Will the FM radio be bundled as an app? I'm clueless on what to do with those files in the link.
Read this thread starting from at least page 6...
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3902&page=6
In conjunction with the community, Nokia's working on a proper solution.
But javispedro may actually whip-up a GUI for us in the meantime.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Any news on this? How is the app comming along?
The radio app on my n900 is the app I use the most and I'm glad to hear you are working on an app for the n9. It's the only thing keeping me from buying a n9.

I tried the fmrx app on N9, but without any luck. No matter what frequency I provide, the outcome is still the same -- no output whatsoever. Nothing on STDOUT, nothing in headphones. Anyone knows where the problem could be?

Happy owner of N9, the last Nokia smartphone.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Emass View Post
Any news on this? How is the app comming along?
The radio app on my n900 is the app I use the most and I'm glad to hear you are working on an app for the n9. It's the only thing keeping me from buying a n9.
Maybe ask in the MeeGo thread (see my post above)...
Javis was thinking of pressing ahead w/a GUI, in-spite of Nokia working on something, as they could take a while.
But I think he needs a N9 first, which is why I was gauging community interest in this:

Community N9 Purchase Fund (N9's for devs)

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-28 at 09:27.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ finland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It is said it has no antenna, and it is explicitly disabled in the kernel (that's not a problem, but if it's disabled on the n950 and not on the n9 it probably means there's strong reason to believe it does not work).

When I tried it, I never got a hint of a signal out of it. It might be because I'm failing to configure it, but considering I got fmrx working.... that's probably not the case.
for the fans of reckless experimenting....

if you engage a TX w/o antenna attached - you may potentially end up blowing the RF transistors, if they arent removed along with the tx antenna

more possible sideffects: high power consuption
(device gets warm ..until the transistors or chips are blown)

73, de

ps: dont touch the RF circuits unless youre an engineer with calibration tools at hand.

Last edited by zoolkhan; 2011-10-28 at 10:47.

Originally Posted by babraq View Post
I tried the fmrx app on N9, but without any luck. No matter what frequency I provide, the outcome is still the same -- no output whatsoever. Nothing on STDOUT, nothing in headphones. Anyone knows where the problem could be?
I will answer myself -- RDS is working just fine, but still no sound. I am really curious what should I do to make it work. As somebody on MeeGo Forum suggested I already tried rebooting the device and plug and unplug headphones several times, without any luck.

But one thing is really curious -- when app is running, the Bluetooth icon in notification area is signalizing that Bluetooth is active, but I have turned it off.

Happy owner of N9, the last Nokia smartphone.

Last edited by babraq; 2011-10-28 at 12:23.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by babraq View Post
But one thing is really curious -- when app is running, the Bluetooth icon in notification area is signalizing that Bluetooth is active, but I have turned it off.
The FMRX is in the buetooth chip (that is why there is a FM chip even if it's not supported), so this is related. The bluetooth hardware chip is definitely active during fm use, but I don't know if Bluetooth proper is up.