I think it would be nice if Nokia acquired their work on the cards. It would make a nice replacement for the task manager since the current one on the N900 gets tiny as you increase the number of running apps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Palm have suffered a fashion problem, namely the trend away from smaller devices to larger ones, especially the screen size and resolution. Nokia need to take heed here. Interesting that in the recent crowd sourced smart phone design the screen size is coming out at over 4 inches.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...xpecting-that/

Lack of micro SD card of Pre will also rule out a lot of users.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
There is only one simple explanation for this, the Palm pre looks rubbish and the screen is too small!

Otherwise I may have bought it instead of just ignoring it.
The palm pre was in my opinion the perfect "girl" phone. and they seemed to market it to girls. lots of guys went and got it for wives and fiances and what not. the prob is you could only use it on sprint. if they had a gsm version as well i think it would have sold more. it looks amazing and feels even better in your hand. for a female it's awesome

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think it would be nice if Nokia acquired their work on the cards. It would make a nice replacement for the task manager since the current one on the N900 gets tiny as you increase the number of running apps.
Thats not a good reason to spend millions, a solution to solving the problem you describe could be done with minimizing the n900 multitasking cards to 3 wide (or 2 wide) and scrolling.

I cant see any reason for Nokia to buy Palm. I can see a reason for Intel to though.

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Toronto
I had high hopes on webOS. I thought they really had a chance, but failure to make a GSM version was a stupod move on their part. Why force yourself into a niche when you can be amongst the Big 3.

Also, yes, we like small stuff, pre was a bit too small. Bigger screen would have been helpful

Everytime you don't click on my blog, I kill a kitten

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post

Market share?
They don't really have that. Only in NA, and even there it has gotten awfully low and keeps dropping.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
The Web OS platform?
Before Samsung's Bada and Microsoft's WM7 announcements that might have made sense. Now there's really nobody left that would need Web OS.

As Texrat said, they have some interesting PDA/handheld IP. I don't really expect anybody to buy Palm before banktruptcy. That would add lot of extra costs that would come from winding down Palm's business and sacking most of employees. Once they go bust a flock of vultures will land for a meal.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-03-19 at 18:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Palm is dead years ago after they failed (3 times!) to deliver WiFi in time. A lot of people bought Palm m500 and subsequent devices in hope to use SD slot for WiFi connectivity.

No luck, they ignored us... people turned around... time passed and other devices started looking more good than Palm OS which was designed for very low resource device.

Now, they doesn't have anything to compete. Around 2 years ago they bought Linux company (I forget that it was - Zaurus or else) but they doesn't deliver Linux up today. So they doesn't have a fan-customer base too like Apple because nobody has interest in some unknown OS with unclear perspective.

I am speaking on my own - I own a lot of Palm devices (and still have 2 functioning) and I spent thousands $$ on them. But I looked for replacement LONG time, right after Palm V because I need WiFi.

I waited and waited them to do a nice communicator with Linux inside... no. They tried to get share of cell-phone market but without bright features they played only in 2nd level on that market - Nokia,Moto and other big phone makers doesn't want new players, of course.

And I was surprised then I saw Nokia Linux-based communicator (N7XX-N8XX) on market but Palm still doesn't have it. Instead of it they turned to WinMo... and that was a slide down.

Company managers are definitely not... brilliant.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
ha ha, i love to see greedy rich investors lose money!
especially o2 for making me leave them after 6years for not stocking the n97 and then n900
viva la vodafone!
a company with balls!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There are plenty of poor investors losing money, too.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
na mate, if theyve got any spare cash available to invest then there rich in my opinion, when i get paid and pay my bills ive got nowt left to invest!

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post: