l want to delete native N9 applications such as youtube twitter and so on, other than flashing what other methods can l use.
Please help

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Did you try to use the program manager?
Settings => programs => ...
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Did you try to use the program manager?
Settings => programs => ...
tried but failed says "can't delete"

Well, actually this might be good, since you would not have a way to reinstall them again.
If you wait for PR1.2, you will get a folder system, sou you can hide the unwanted apps in a folder.
Alternatively you can gain root and move the desktop files of those apps into another system folder. This way the apps are still there but the icon will not be shown anymore.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Those apps are a part of the firmware and were not installed from .deb packaged files. This means that the application manager has no tool with which to uninstall them.

You can do the next best thing and hide them from the launcher screen by entering the following commands as root from your terminal:

cd /usr/share/applications
rm skype.desktop
rm youtube.desktop
rm twitter.desktop

....and so on.

Be aware that these icons will likely re-appear when/if you update your OS when PR 1.2 comes out, but you can just repeat the above commands to hid them again.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Better rename them to .bak instead deletion, since you will not be able to undo it!
and more...

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
It should be just

apt-get purge twitter

Try at your own risk.

To reinstall

apt-get install twitter

Do at your own risk though and don't mess around with this stuff unless you were are willing to re-flash your device. I had a dependency issue when installing locate (I had a thread on this somewhere) it just started removing everything from the command line. I lost the shop and quite a few other things. I was able to reinstall the shop from the command line, but still had to re-flash though as it had removed some essential things.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by TheStatsMan View Post
It should be just

apt-get purge twitter
apt-get only works with applications that were installed as .deb packages. This may not apply to applications that are a part of the firmware.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
apt-get only works with applications that were installed as .deb packages. This may not apply to applications that are a part of the firmware.
I Just checked up on this and you are technically incorrect, but practically correct. You can delete with apt-get twitter, but it will remove other stuff that will wreck the system. interestingly when I deleted Skype, the shop and a few other things by accident once I was able to reinstall them and it worked perfectly, well until I rebooted I think a couple if days later. This was not unexpected though.

Anyway my suggestion clearly should be ignored.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheStatsMan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheStatsMan View Post
I Just checked up on this and you are technically incorrect, but practically correct. You can delete with apt-get twitter, but it will remove other stuff that will wreck the system. interestingly when I deleted Skype, the shop and a few other things by accident once I was able to reinstall them and it worked perfectly, well until I rebooted I think a couple if days later. This was not unexpected though.

Anyway my suggestion clearly should be ignored.
happened to me also.

wrecked my system while doing this and only way was flash again.