Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Can anyone give me a good reason why Nokia would even consider buying Palm? Palm has nothing to offer but large debts, continuing losses, a has-been name, a very small market share and not-great hardware only offered on Sprint, a nearly dead provider.

Oh, and WebOS, which is generally fairly good, yes, but there's not many apps or developer interest for it. And Nokia has both Symbian and Maemo already. I can't think of anything significant that WebOS offers that Maemo doesn't or couldn't easily do. Far as I can tell, Maemo should have better possibilities.

So what's the value Palm offers to Nokia that would make them even consider a $2 billion investment? I just don't get it...

http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...5AC4QV20091113

(Thanks to nuknuk for that link)
Registered Linux user #266531.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Can anyone give me a good reason why Nokia would even consider buying Palm? ......

Source of the false rumour that Nokia is going to buy Palm is a press release issued Tuesday in Finland, home of Nokia, about Nokia's purchase of Plum Ventures, Inc. That's Plum, P-L-U-M, not Palm! Of course if you are a non-English speaking Finn Palm and Plum are just two very similar, random sets of characters. That and previous Nokia/Palm rumors started the rumor anew in Finland. It jumped the big pond to The US, and back again to Europe, without the clarifying press release. Palm stock shot up when the rumor began circulating widely and still hovers above $17.00 a share. Wouldn't want to be long on Palm when this hits the wires. English version of release: http://media-newswire.com/release_1099224.html
http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...-doorstep.aspx

Comments^

Can anyone give me a good reason why Nokia would even consider buying Palm? Palm has nothing to offer but large debts, continuing losses, a has-been name, a very small market share and not-great hardware only offered on Sprint, a nearly dead provider.

Oh, and WebOS, which is generally fairly good, yes, but there's not many apps or developer interest for it. And Nokia has both Symbian and Maemo already. I can't think of anything significant that WebOS offers that Maemo doesn't or couldn't easily do. Far as I can tell, Maemo should have better possibilities.

So what's the value Palm offers to Nokia that would make them even consider a $2 billion investment? I just don't get it...

http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...5AC4QV20091113

(Thanks to nuknuk for that link)
It could be the door back to USA market. With Maemo don't see any reason for it in Europe and Asia.
So yeah might be a bit too much to pay for just that. Thought USA is more important cell phone market than what it have ever been before and that's one thing hurting Nokia currently.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i keep wondering why RIM is getting such a big smartphone star...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I can list a couple of things:

* OMAP3 expertise
* Experience with web runtimes
* Further entry to US market
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Can anyone give me a good reason why Nokia would even consider buying Palm?
Decent handwriting recognition on 10 yrs old hardware.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I can list a couple of things:

* OMAP3 expertise
* Experience with web runtimes
* Further entry to US market
That^, and a strong patent portfolio...

When that rumor first hit the street at the end of September Palm stock jumped. It has since settled back down but shows a bit of a resurgence just as this thread and threads on other forums are resurfacing...

Anyone up for a little executive stock option pump and dump?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-14 at 15:40.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
pump and dump?
That's a stock market term? I thought is was a dating term.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Can anyone give me a good reason why Nokia would even consider buying Palm?

US customers are usually diffident with the european brands.

Palm is a very well recognized brand in the US, and has a very good experience on the UI and ergonomic of the mobile devices.

But is historically plagued on the HW quality side, and is at the moment the weakest competitor on the US market.

So buying Palm could make perfect sense for Nokia, as buying Chrysler did for Fiat.

Different industries, similar situations.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
The only sense I can see is to run the Palm brand for a few years and "Nokia-nize" it until it wupti! becomes like any other Nokia phone. Maybe start off with "Palm by Nokia" and changing the UI to look more "Nokia" style. Until you just drop webOS and put Symbian or Maemo on "Palm" devices.

Then 2-4 years down the road "Palm by Nokia" Pré/Pixi becomes Nokia Pré/Pixi (or whatever else).

Use the Palm creative staff and their sales channels to strengthen the sales of Nokia in the US.

My Palm Tungsten T3 PDA was a fun little thing, but to me Palm is oh so 2003 and I don´t find them very appealing as a phone manufacturer.

Last edited by olighak; 2009-11-14 at 16:04.