Closed Thread
Just wanted some first hand information about the financial climate for any of you that live with the Euro.

I don't always trust the news here in the US, especially when dealing with worldwide affairs.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
I thought Rupert Murdoch owned media in Europe also?

-Sorry couldn't resist

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Will probably depend on who you talk to: businessmen, consumers, people who read 3 daily newspapers during breakfast, people who never even watch the evening news....

From what hear around me here in Vienna, a lot of people are aware of the problem and are simply flabbergasted by the huge amounts of money politicians are talking about. I also hear somewhat angry comments about Greece and the ongoing protests there, like "Were supposed to pay for them and they go on strike."

OTOH, I don't see any fear or even nervousness about possible economic consequences or the stability of the currency. Maybe this is because the crisis 2009 was talked about everywhere and dominated the news for months, but in the end nobody suffered from it in real life. No losses, nothing. It may have influenced how people react to economic disasters.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
not just Greece,

Spain, Portugal and Ireland are on the brink of going the same way

Greece could loose their credit rating and cant borrow money leaving them in deep poop.

Im kinda happy England aren't part of the EURO

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
This thread is propably against the no discussion about politics rule.

We* willl never get the money back. Greece will still default on it loans, after the bailout money is used. It's not too big price to pay for european integration and keeping the European Union stable.

*we as in central- and north europeans that end up paying most of the aid and EU's budget.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
*we as in central- and north europeans that end up paying most of the aid and EU's budget.
is the least you can do. After all, you central and northern european still come on summer to our coasts and enjoy our sun, but also our Public Health System, which pays what you don't want to pay in your homecountry. If you don't get it is just because you're not retired yet. They'll explain, don't you worry.

Thanks for the great responses. I suppose it is close to the politics, but I think it's more about economics. (always a fine line).

@benny: Interesting information, because here in the US, we're terrified of news like this as many of us found our dollars not going as far.

Really interesting perspectives!

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Thanks for the great responses. I suppose it is close to the politics, but I think it's more about economics. (always a fine line).
It's very political issue in europe.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Weymouth, UK
I have heard that some people in Germany are rejecting Greek Euros (With Serial number starting with Y) and that key politicians want to force Greece out of teh Euro.

But then again I'm English and we love to gossip so I'm unsure if this is true!

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England

Closed Thread